Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

How to change the order of the Bibles in the compare tab.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ariel K.

Ariel K.

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

I´ve been using e-sword for more than a year now on an ongoing study of different versions. All went perfect while I was comparing just 8 versions using the "parallel" tab, but then I had the need of adding some more versions to my study and had to switch to the "compare" tab. Then a problem arose, I had been using the versions in the same order all along, placing the most important ones from left to right. When I loaded my options to the "compare" tab, they automatically appeared in alphabetical order. That was very hard to get used to, and made me get behind on my work, until I did some steps and got the results you see below.

Attached File  E-sword compare.png   92.94K   30 downloads

As you see, they are NOT in alphabetical order. As a matter of fact, the one that is on the top now, was the last one alphabetically. (yes, they are all Spanish versions). If you need the same results as I, this is the way to do it. (Easy but manually.)
   1.First (if you haven´t done it already) in e-sword click on "Options" and in the drop-down menu that appears, click on "Compare". A window will appear with all the versions you have installed, so go ahead and choose all the versions you would like to compare. After that, every time you clik on the compare tab those will be the versions seen.
  2. Then, you should make a list (on paper) of the versions in the order you want them in, and with the names with witch they appear on the tabs. If you don´t do this, you can get confused later on.
  3. Next, on that same list place alphabetical letters to the left of the names. For example, lets say you would like to have the ESV on top, then the NIV, then the NKJV. You should place the letters so the list would say AESV, BNIV, CNKJV, and so on....
 4 . Next CLOSE E-SWORD and go to C:\Program Files\e-Sword or wherever you have your e-sword installed. When you open that e-sword folder you´ll see a lot of white files, pay attention to the ones ending in "bblx", those are the bibles. For example the ESV is a file called "esv.bblx".
  5. Now get your paper with the list of bibles and start looking for them. When you find one, right clik over it and click "change name", then simply add the first letter you have on the paper, so continuing with the example of the ESV, if you would want it to be first in the compare window, the file which was named "esv.bblx" will now have the name "Aesv.bblx". Don´t worry, the names that appear in your e-sword tabs will not change.
(Note: I always add capital letters, lower case letters might work but I´m not sure.)
  6. That´s all folks! Close the folder and when you open e-sword next time your "compare" tab will show the versions in the order you please. The only difference you will notice is thet the tabs in your "bibles" window will be changed around a bit, but they will all be there. That´s not a problem at all.

I hope this was clear enough for everybody. This really works for me, and now that I have my "Parallel" window free, I use it for the Greek versions. I am much better organized. Thank God for e-sword, and thanks to those who make it possible for us to have it.

Edited by Ariel K., 30 June 2014 - 03:51 PM.

#2 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

It is better to use E-sword Library Manager or use numbers before the Bible name to rename the file

http://www.biblesupp...ibrary-manager/

And don't try to rename kjv.bblx or kjv+.bblx: orderwise e-Sword reinstall himself.

Edited by Katoog, 30 June 2014 - 11:13 AM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#3 Ariel K.

Ariel K.

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

It is better to use E-sword Library Manager or use numbers before the Bible name to rename the file

http://www.biblesupp...ibrary-manager/

And don't try to rename kjv.bblx or kjv+.bblx: orderwise e-Sword reinstall himself.

Thanks very much, I didn´t know that about the kjb.bblx, I used it as an example because it´s one of the most popular versions. I had changed the order of many other modules with no problem. You saved some people from problems today. I edited my mention of the KJV, and I apologize.

Anyway just out of curiosity, I investigated some this afternoon and managed to rename the KJV file (with no program) so its at the top of my list, BUT THAT IS A DIFFERENT PROCEDURE. I may work it out a little more and post it here, but only if somebody asks for it. Here´s the evidence.

Attached File  KJV on top.png   92.5K   34 downloads

But again, don´t try renaming the KJV with the procedure I posted in this tutorial, because e-sword will begin to reinstall itself. Other versions can be renamed without problems.

Edited by Ariel K., 02 July 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

OK, It all has to do with your Tab name matching your file name, or your file name matching your tab name.

Your tab placement is dependent on what you file name is, and also the whether the tab name is full text of abbreviated. Your Bible Compare gets its order from your Tabs by reading the Database file's Abbreviation Record in the Details table.

I also looked at you screenshot and noticed your tab names are a mess, and recommend you tidy them up. Learn this acronym and follow it to the letter and you should never have any problems, KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

For Translations in where the version or edition differs, just need to modify it basically, e.g NIV 2011 Edition simply mark it as NIV, and if you have the 1984 edition as well, simply edit the Tab name as NIV84, and ensure that your file name matches it, NIV84.bblx and etc

e-s_all1020.jpg
This this screenshot is now out of date as I no longer use XP, but it will show you exactly what I was getting at.

Using upper and lower case in your tabs will also alter the order, and therefore consistency of how you do things is really important.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 30 June 2014 - 09:45 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 Ariel K.

Ariel K.

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:47 AM

Well, as I said in my post, after renaming the files, "you will notice that the tabs in your bible window will be changed around a bit". Personally, I never thought of it as a mess, maybe its because my priority (and the real reason of this post) is the order in which the versions are presented in the compare tab, not how the tabs are viewed on the top of the window.  Anyway, I understand it may be an important issue to some. Thanks for the info.
    Many Blessings to you.

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

the order in which the versions are presented in the compare tab, not how the tabs are viewed on the top of the window.

I understand that, however the order of what you see in Compare mode is the same order as what is seen in the tabs. Please note screenshot below.

Attached File  e-s_Bible Compare.jpg   164.52K   20 downloads

All e-Sword resource files are Database files, and e-Sword is purely a Database file reader, and as such places all data, such as Bible Version Names in its alphabetical order both in the tabs and in the Bible Compare. e-Sword, when it loads up the resource database files, reads the file names, and loads it up in alphabetical order. If the file name differs from the Tab Name, e.g., KJV.bblx as the file name, but the Tab name is, i.e., KJB or AV, then this will affect the order both in the Tabs and in the Compare Verse view.

I guess the best way to show this, is that if the KJV.bblx was given the "Cambridge King James Bible.bblx" for instance, but the Tab name was simply "KJV." The result would be that both in your tabs and in Compare you would see "KJV" amongst the Cs. See Screenshot below.

Attached File  e-s_Bible Compare Changed.jpg   165.78K   19 downloads

Also, if you were to keep the file name as KJV.bblx but had the Tab name as "CKJV" for the Cambridge King James Version , you would see the the CKJV amongst the Ks in both the tabs and Compare Verses.

I trust that this is helpful to you when it comes to viewing translations/versions in the Compare Verses.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 01 July 2014 - 06:12 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#7 Ariel K.

Ariel K.

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:15 AM

Okay, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users