Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

e-Sword is not loading at all - need ideas how to fix it

5 replies to this topic

#1 sixriversgal

sixriversgal

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

After using e-Sword for more than ten years, I've been impressed how stable the e-Sword program is.  I've kept my e-Sword updated so have v10.2.1 currently on my laptop.

Today, e-Sword worked perfectly until I downloaded two modules from the Bible Support website.  After extracting and copying the BBLX files to my Program Files/e-sword folder, I clicked on the e-Sword shortcut (like usual) and e-Sword refused to go past the initial blue e-Sword intro picture.  I'm not really sure if this is related, but it is when e-Sword "fell apart."

I rebooted my computer, I removed all USB devices, I removed the two Bible Support modules, I tried waiting for an hour to see if any progress could be made in loading e-Sword.  I downloaded the EXE file for v10.2.1 from www.e-sword.net and reinstalled e-Sword (after removing my program folder and user folder offsite for safety!).  I tried installing e-Sword and selected the repair option.  I went to the control panel and uninstalled e-Sword then reinstalled.  I also tried doing an installation/repair through the control panel pathway.  No luck.  e-Sword still stalls in the initial loading.

Something seems to be interfering with the loading process and I'm stumped.  Does anyone have more ideas on what to try? I've never had this happen before.  The rest of my programs on my laptop seem to be functioning perfectly--so don't think it is a failing hard-drive (but that's always in the back of my mind).

Thanks for your ideas in advance. . . . .

Sixriversgal@gmail.com

#2 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:29 AM

Try to clean the memory dumps and Old perfetch data and Mui cache with CCleaner.

http://filehippo.com...nload_ccleaner/

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#3 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

sixriversgal solved her problem by suggestion of Rick by deleting the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\e-Sword

#4 Ah'ron

Ah'ron

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

Same problem here, but erasing that key did not work for me unfortunately.  I am seeing other keys in the registry that might need to be erased (did a search for "e-sword"), but I am unsure of whether erasing them might break my system and I don't know if I've located all the entries that exist for the program.  What other keys or folders used by e-sword (other than Program Files, My Documents, and VB and VB Program Settings) are on my system that I could erase?  I'm asking only because I'm trying to make sure I completely clear this program out of my system before reinstalling it again.  I'm also looking at two other possible causes of this problem:

1)  Do the newer updates of the program make use of technology differently than the older versions? (e.g. - by using the various .NET Frameworks, which might require a MS update to be released)

2)  I am using the 10.1.0 Hebrew Roots installation disc (the one compiled and released by AwakenedChurch.net), and then updating the installation to 10.2.1.  since it has additional resources I would like to retain, I would like to stick with that installation method, but does anyone know if the modules and features that go along with that version are causing the program to break?  It has been working fine for me up until the latest update.

Thank you all for your voluntary diligence in these matters.  :)  Otherwise, I would have to go and become a programmer to solve this.  :(

Edited by Ah'ron, 17 November 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#5 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:32 AM

What is the difference between the Hebrew Roots version and the official version? Some modules that you can copy to other map before a clean Install? I don't think that they have permission from Rick Meyers.

Desinstall e-Sword and use then CCleaner to clean also the registry.

Download e-Sword from there :

http://www.e-sword.net/index.html

Edited by Katoog, 18 November 2013 - 12:33 AM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#6 TimDeaton

TimDeaton

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

Try using Revo Uninstaller to uninstall e-Sword.  I use the free version for EVERYTHING that I uninstall.  It's excellent at finding all the stray bits & pieces of programs and their registry entries.  It also gives you 3 different levels of how aggressive you want it to be.  The middle option is probably best for most folks, but I use the most aggressive option with a little caution - steering clear of any entries that look like they might impact other programs - and not had any problems.

Then you should be able to do a truly clean re-install.

A Google search will show you their website and other places to download from, as well as some reviews.

Edited by TimDeaton, 18 November 2013 - 12:33 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users