Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

ESV on MySword

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Atheist Rob

Atheist Rob

e-Sword Addict

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

I've wanted the ESV bible on MySword for a long time and now I have it. I have written a Perl script that parses the website http://www.esvbible.org and translates the content into a MySword module. The script is made available in this post, but first I want to stress that you should only use the script if your local copyright law enables you to use the content of a website for something else than online browsing. If in doubt, do not use this script! In no way do I take any responsibility for someone else to violate copyright laws.

This script is not released on an open source license. You may freely give unmodified versions of the script (or the Windows executable) to others but you are not allowed to distribute modified versions.

Now that I have that off my chest, some details. The online version has footnotes and cross references. The footnotes are rendered as translators' notes and the cross references are rendered as cross references in MySword. On the website the references have an accompanying text which is not rendered by default. You can use the "--reftext" option to render the text as a translators' note, but most of the tome the text is just a summation of the references themselves. The documentation is available with the "--help" option.

I do not have an option to render the text without the references. If you have a premium or deluxe version of MySword you can turn them off, so if you find them annoying, you have a reason to make a generous donation to the MySword developers ;)

I made life easy for Windows users. I used the PAR::Packer module to create a Windows executable version of the script (this factually creates a temporary Perl environment to run the script, so the start up is slow). I created it on a 32-bit Windows XP environment and tested it both on 32-bit Windows XP and 64-bit Windows Server 2008 (both without Perl), so it should work on most environments. Just unpack the esvorg2mysword.exe.zip file, copy the executable somewhere on your disk, double-click it and follow the instructions in the text window that opens. If you want to pass options to the executable (e.g. for the help text), just open a cmd window, change to the directory where the executable is stored and run the executable with the requited option (e.g.:
esvorg2mysword.exe --help).

If this does not work for you, you can install Strawberry Perl and use the script itself to generate the module. See the instructions for my other Perl module on how to do that.

Update June 10th 2013:
The script is currently broken. The website has been changed which causes all verses to be recorded twice. I currently lack the time to modify the script but will take a look at it in a couple of weeks (or if someone else would like to take a look at it, (s)he'd be more than welcome ;-) ).

Update Feb 24, 2015:

The website has changed yet again but the change was minor so it could be easily fixed. A new module has been attached.

The attachments are:
(Perl script)
(Windows executable)

(new perl script)

Attached File  esvorg2mysword-20150209.zip   10.09K   224 downloads

Here's a screen dump to wet your appetite:

esv4mysword.png

Regards,
Rob

Edited by Atheist Rob, 24 February 2015 - 03:31 PM.

#2 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

If you attempt this, you will probably need to turn off any antivirus software that might be running.  

#3 Gene_W

Gene_W

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

Thank you for your work on this. I have one problem: when I run the executable it gives me a file called "ESV.bbl.mybible" that is 0kb in size. When I copy that over to my tablet it shows up as a file with a bunch of numbers instead of a name and is still 0kb. I am running Win7 64bit on my laptop and Honeycomb on my tablet. Thank you for any advice.

Gene W., Serving People, Sharing Hope

Writing at Simple Theology, Messy Life

#4 Atheist Rob

Atheist Rob

e-Sword Addict

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Thank you for your work on this. I have one problem: when I run the executable it gives me a file called "ESV.bbl.mybible" that is 0kb in size. When I copy that over to my tablet it shows up as a file with a bunch of numbers instead of a name and is still 0kb. I am running Win7 64bit on my laptop and Honeycomb on my tablet. Thank you for any advice.

That's strange. Could you make a screen capture of the command window and mail it to me? My address is bibsup at hamal dot nl.

#5 Gene_W

Gene_W

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

Hi Rob and thank you for your help,

I don't really get a command window that I could send. Once I unzip the download, I run the exe and get the license agreement window, type accept and it disappears and produces the 0kb file. That's pretty much all I can do.

Gene W., Serving People, Sharing Hope

Writing at Simple Theology, Messy Life

#6 Atheist Rob

Atheist Rob

e-Sword Addict

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

I just tried it out on my freshly installed w7 64-bits (see screendump) and it works fine for me. I must confess that I forgot to pause the screen on an error so it is indeed hard to see what the problem is.

Could you please do the following. Create a folder named "temp" in the root folder of your C drive. Copy the executable to that folder. Start a command window (pressing the WIndows start button and typing "cmd"  (without quotes) in the "Search programs and files" input box, followed by Enter. In the command window, type the command "cd \temp" (followed by enter). If you enter "dir" you should now see the executable in the file listing. Now enter "esvorg2mysword.exe" and follow the instructions. If an error occurs, please make a screen dump and mail it to me and I will see what I can do.

Regards,

Rob

w7sp1.png

#7 tengwer

tengwer

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

I have windows 7 64bit and was able to create the ESV and have it in MySword with the links and all but alot of the links don't work.  A few do work but most don't.  Has anyone else had this problem?

#8 Atheist Rob

Atheist Rob

e-Sword Addict

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

Yes, I have. Sometimes after repeatedly trying the link will work, sometimes if you first try another link, press the back button and then press the intended link again it will work then. I don't know if it's a MySword problem or an Android problem but I did experience it as well. I haven't filed a bug report with the MySword authors yet but I think I will.

Regards,

Rob

#9 Atheist Rob

Atheist Rob

e-Sword Addict

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

As I mentioned in the OP, the website had changed which caused all verses to be recorded double. The problem has been fixed and the modified script has been added as an attachment to the original post. I currently don't have the opportunity to make a Windows executable, so for those who want to build this in a Windows environment, please see this post on how to do that.

Hoping the website will not change again any time soon...

Regards,

Rob

#10 GreenRaccoon23

GreenRaccoon23

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationIowa/Nebraska, United States

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

Nice!!! Thanks a ton Rob! I'll post some quick instructions for any other Linux users.

1- Download the script at the bottom of the top post.

2- Install dependencies.

sudo aptitude install libclass-dbi-sqlite-perl

3- Extract/unzip it.

cd ~/Downloads
unzip esvorg2mysword.pl.zip

4- Make the script executable.

cd esvorg2mysword.pl
chmod +x *.pl

5- Run the script. (If this doesn't work, check the bottom of this post.)

./*.pl

6- After a few seconds, it'll ask for you to accept the terms. Read it, and if you accept, type

accept

7- It is alive. It'll take a while to run the script. You can see its progress. When it's done, it'll tell you to hit enter.

8- You'll have a new file called "ESV.bbl.mybible" inside the directory "~/Downloads/esvorg2mysword.pl".

9- Copy "ESV.bbl.mybiblefrom your computer to your phone or tablet that has the MySword app. Paste "ESV.bbl.mybible" in the "mysword/bibles" folder.

10- Done! Open up MySword and it should automatically detect it. If the title isn't "ESV," go to "Menu", then "Preferences", and hit "Clear abbreviations cache."

----------

5b- If the script wouldn't run, you might need to install some more dependencies. It might tell you "Can't locate *...". Open up Ubuntu Software Center and search for whatever it couldn't locate. For example, mine said "Can't locate DBI.pm", so I searched for "dbi" in Ubuntu Software Center. Then I installed "libclass-dbi-sqlite-perl", and that fixed it for me.

Edited by GreenRaccoon23, 05 August 2014 - 11:34 AM.

Lutheran sin|nerNinja in the Lutheran Ninja Clan.  :ph34r: http://www.worldview...ran-ninja-clan/

"You know less than does a log on the ground."

"Your words are so foolishly and ignorantly composed that I cannot believe you understand them."

-Martin Luther (who else?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users