Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Font in John Owen's Exposition of the Epistle of Hebrews

6 replies to this topic

#1 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

I began reading in chapter 12, after verse 1 and saw this:

Ver. 1. — Toigarou~n kai< hJmei~v , tosou~ton e]contev perikei>menon hJmi~n ne>fov martu>rwn ¸ o]gkon ajpoqe>menoi pa>nta kai< thstaton ajmarti>an , di j uJpomonh~v tre>cwmen tomenon hJmi~n ajgw~na .

I checked my fonts and saw that Titus Cyberbit Basic is the font that I have selected for Greek. Maybe, I am doing something wrong to get that kind of weird display. Is this just me?

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

No, it's not just you. This is a very poor quality resource, with bad formatting and widepsread garbled characters: Ver. 7-11 Heb_3:7-11.— Dio< , kaqwgei to< pneu~ma to< a[gion? Sh>meron , eJashte , mh< sklhru>nhte taav uJmw~n , wJv ejn tw~| parapikrasmw~| , kata< thran tou~ peirasmou~ ejn th~| ejrh>mw| , ou= ejpei>rasa>n me oiJ pate>rev uJmw~n , ejdoki>masa>n me , kai< ei+don ta< e]rga mou , tessara>konta e[th . Dio< prosw>cqisa th~| genea~| ejkei>nh| , kai< ei+pon? jAei< planw~ntai th~| kardi>a|? aujtoi< de< oujk e]gnwsan tav mou . JWv w]mosa ejn th~| ojrgh~| mou? Eij eiJseleu>sontai eijv thpausi>n mou .

I will unapprove the module immediately. My apologies  We are reviewing everything this module maker uploaded.

#3 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

No, it's not just you. This is a very poor quality resource, with bad formatting and widepsread garbled characters: Ver. 7-11 Heb_3:7-11.— Dio< , kaqwgei to< pneu~ma to< a[gion? Sh>meron , eJashte , mh< sklhru>nhte taav uJmw~n , wJv ejn tw~| parapikrasmw~| , kata< thran tou~ peirasmou~ ejn th~| ejrh>mw| , ou= ejpei>rasa>n me oiJ pate>rev uJmw~n , ejdoki>masa>n me , kai< ei+don ta< e]rga mou , tessara>konta e[th . Dio< prosw>cqisa th~| genea~| ejkei>nh| , kai< ei+pon? jAei< planw~ntai th~| kardi>a|? aujtoi< de< oujk e]gnwsan tav mou . JWv w]mosa ejn th~| ojrgh~| mou? Eij eiJseleu>sontai eijv thpausi>n mou .

I will unapprove the module immediately.

Thanks, Josh, for your help!

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

I will unapprove the module immediately.

Hi Josh,
Good one.

May I suggest you that, if you haven't done so, email or IM the person who uploaded it that his/her module has been unapproved and stating the reasons for it. I think that this will show there is a (for a lack of a better word to say it) required standard for e-Sword modules, and outlining what those standards are. Having said that, this thought also came to mind, when a person decides to upload, in the upload page have a notice there stating the requirements for the module standard, or something like that.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#5 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hi Josh,
Good one.

May I suggest you that, if you haven't done so, email or IM the person who uploaded it that his/her module has been unapproved and stating the reasons for it. I think that this will show there is a (for a lack of a better word to say it) required standard for e-Sword modules, and outlining what those standards are.

In general terms I totally agree with this sentiment - poorly constructed modules do NOT encourage a person to use eSword. However, well constructed modules are a delight to use and encourage the study of God's Word.

Josh, and several others have set a reasonable standard that is not impossible to attain. This especially true because of the willingness of the bretheren to offer help, advice and assistance.

Edited by LarryG, 09 August 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#6 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

This is mostly for the search engine visitors who enter the site through this thread, looking for John Owens Hebrews Exposition.

This module has been remade, not from the original module upload, but by returning to the original PDF files and extracting the text again.

The original module on the left and the better formatted version on the right, see the screenshot below. This is the value of properly formatted module versus a "pump and dump" version. It's the time invested that makes the difference. 

Attached File  esword-pump-dump-vs-good.png   1.02MB   32 downloads

Download: http://www.biblesupp...hebrews-7-vols/

#7 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

This is mostly for the search engine visitors who enter the site through this thread, looking for John Owens Hebrews Exposition.

This module has been remade, not from the original module upload, but by returning to the original PDF files and extracting the text again.

The original module on the left and the better formatted version on the right, see the screenshot below. This is the value of properly formatted module versus a "pump and dump" version. It's the time invested that makes the difference. 

Thanks Josh - I really appreciate your commitment and the modules you make/correct.  Blessings. lg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users