Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

John Gill top.exe for eSword 8 only?

7 replies to this topic

#1 BillHiflow

BillHiflow

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 08:51 PM

I had installed John Gill's Body of Practical and Doctrinal Divinity, all volumes, in previous versions of e-Sword, but in e-Sword version 13, it doesn't seem to want to install.

Is there any way around this? I've downloaded the module installer, which works with most everything, including some old e-Sword 8 modules, but the John Gill top.exe (and that's all I can find) doesn't open module installer and even though the exe. file is installed to the proper e-Sword file, it simply doesn't show in anything, including reference library.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 09:15 PM

I had installed John Gill's Body of Practical and Doctrinal Divinity, all volumes, in previous versions of e-Sword, but in e-Sword version 13, it doesn't seem to want to install.

Is there any way around this? I've downloaded the module installer, which works with most everything, including some old e-Sword 8 modules, but the John Gill top.exe (and that's all I can find) doesn't open module installer and even though the exe. file is installed to the proper e-Sword file, it simply doesn't show in anything, including reference library.

The exe file is a self installing file just left click it to run it and it will install the module

#3 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 04:54 AM

It is a .top file so that does not show in version 13 without conversion to a .topx format.

Easy to do from within e-Sword

In the Topic Notes tab, hold down the Ctrl key, and right-mouse-click in the view, which should bring up a context menu. Select Open, then in the next window where it is asking you to select a file, first change the extension filter from .topx to .top using the dropdown gadget at bottom right. Now your .top files should show up. Select your file and it will be converted.

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 25 January 2024 - 02:12 PM

It is a .top file so that does not show in version 13 without conversion to a .topx format.

In the Topic Notes tab, hold down the Ctrl key, and right-mouse-click in the view, which should bring up a context menu. Select Open, then in the next window where it is asking you to select a file, first change the extension filter from .topx to .top using the dropdown gadget at bottom right. Now your .top files should show up. Select your file and it will be converted.

The saying goes, "One Picture is better than a thousand words," or something similar to that. Well if that is true, then how much better is a video that shows exactly what Jon has shared.

So, with that, here's a video that will demonstrate exactly and to the point what Jon has shared.

Converting the old .top files in e-Sword

If you found this video helpful, hop over to my channel, please and do the following:

• Hit the Like button
  • Subscribe to the channel. It's free!
  • And finally, smash that Notification bell, then select all notifications.

Thank you.

Blessings,

Stephen (Php1:21).

Edited by APsit190, 07 February 2024 - 05:40 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 BillHiflow

BillHiflow

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 March 2024 - 02:44 AM

The exe file is a self installing file just left click it to run it and it will install the module

Thank you. That was the first thing I did once I downloaded it, and it does not show up in eSword.

Edited by BillHiflow, 03 March 2024 - 02:53 AM.

#6 BillHiflow

BillHiflow

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 March 2024 - 02:54 AM

Hi. I did what you suggested, and it shows up in the file menu now, but but the topic notes remains blank. Maybe I downloaded the wrong file from biblesupport, I'll have to check.

Thank you.

#7 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 03 March 2024 - 02:28 PM

Hi. I did what you suggested, and it shows up in the file menu now, but but the topic notes remains blank. Maybe I downloaded the wrong file from biblesupport, I'll have to check.

Thank you.

Try looking for the module in the e-Sword Resource Library it may show up there

#8 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 March 2024 - 05:35 PM

My personal opinion is that it would be easiest to download the entire John Gill library here at BibleSupport.com:

http://www.biblesupp...l-john-library/

This library is available both as a single .topx file and as a single .refi file.  Bill Huff went to a lot of effort to create these library files.

This library includes not only John Gill's Body of Practical and Doctrinal Divinity (all volumes of both), plus a lot of additional writings from Dr. Gill.

I installed the library .topx file using the eSword Module Installer, which dropped the file in the appropriate folder on my Windows 11 PC.

I access the library .topx file using the e-Sword (version 13.0.0) Reference Library icon.

The Body of Doctrinal Divinity (7 volumes) shows up in the library .topx file as entries identified with a preceding 02

The Practical Divinity (5 volumes) shows up in the library .topx file as entries identified with a preceding 08

ElderB

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users