Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Downgraded e-Sword and highlights aren't working

5 replies to this topic

#1 toniraem

toniraem

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Can anyone tell me how to get the module or update back into E-sword concerning the search box (binocular)?

I updated to the 10.0.7 version and did not like the ruler that comes into Editor so I removed version 10.0.7 and went back to Version 982. Setup, but I don't have the big search box which highlights in yellow the word you are searching for.

Can anyone help me on this subject??
Thanks. Toni

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Per our chat, it sounds like downgrading left a 10.x file that changes the way 9.x looks. I don't know off hand, as I never known anyone to downgrade.

I think your real complaint is with e-Sword 10's ruler. Those with small screens and laptops have also complained about this. e-Sword recently started using a third party, purchased text editor. That puts e-Sword's author at the mercy of the company who makes the text editor. He might not be able to give you the option of removing the ruler from view unless the company that makes the text editor gives him that option.

This same issue happened with those who disliked the removal of the "drag and drop" text feature that went missing in e-Sword 10. If it's not built into the text editor e-Sword uses, then he can't add it since he didn't code the current e-Sword 10.x text editor to begin with. He can only add it if the third party text control adds that ability for him to enable.

#3 Fireandsalt

Fireandsalt

e-Sword Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

Per our chat, it sounds like downgrading left a 10.x file that changes the way 9.x looks. I don't know off hand, as I never known anyone to downgrade.

I think your real complaint is with e-Sword 10's ruler. Those with small screens and laptops have also complained about this. e-Sword recently started using a third party, purchased text editor. That puts e-Sword's author at the mercy of the company who makes the text editor. He might not be able to give you the option of removing the ruler from view unless the company that makes the text editor gives him that option.

This same issue happened with those who disliked the removal of the "drag and drop" text feature that went missing in e-Sword 10. If it's not built into the text editor e-Sword uses, then he can't add it since he didn't code the current e-Sword 10.x text editor to begin with.

All the more reason I personally think Rick needs to go open source with e-sword. With the user community he's built around e-sword I'm sure a team of developers could be asked to help take e-sword to the next level without to much burden on Rick himself.

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

All the more reason I personally think Rick needs to go open source with e-sword. With the user community he's built around e-sword I'm sure a team of developers could be asked to help take e-sword to the next level without to much burden on Rick himself.

Like Firefox, both open source with a community of developers? Ahhh well, then you'd have 20 different versions of e-Sword spawning over night. And the creator would lose control of its development and commercial usage of premium resources-- I don't think that's ever going to happen, honestly. :) And it probably shouldn't happen either. Usually in volunteer "team" situations, most of the work falls to one person, with half of the people acting like it's a spectator sport and the other half telling the one person what to do and how to do it. :) Then the bickering starts. Then the people who can do something get mad and leave. Then your left with the spectators and "managers", neither of which can do anything. Yeah I've been apart of a few organizations before... :) You need one person in charge. If I were in his position, I would want to keep control my creation.

Edited by Josh Bond, 21 February 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#5 Fireandsalt

Fireandsalt

e-Sword Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Having never worked on an open source project, I'll assume your points are correct. Having said that though, look how many waves firefox made with it's speed and customization potential, and look how fast it rolled out new versions incorporating new features. Compare that to Netscape and IE. When firefox was released on the public, it was one of if not the fastest web browser out there. IE was hideous as was Netscape!
I think a lot more could be accomplished by going open source personally. And I've thought this since version7. I've been an e-sword user since version 5 and have seen some nice new features rolled out, but I can't help but wonder how sooner those features would have occurred hed Rick gone open source and released the code. As to profitability, he would still retain the copyright if he wanted to; thus retaining the rights to negotiate with publishers for paid modules. I don't see how wanting to keep control of my creation has much to do with anything? Other than pride... and look at Linus Torvalds. Torvalds was the programmer behind the linux kernel and he's famous world-wide. He had no problems "open sourcing" his code.
But, to each his own I suppose. I just feel a lot more could be accomplished with e-sword than has already been done.

#6 Fireandsalt

Fireandsalt

e-Sword Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

Made a new topic and poll for this. Sorry for hijicking you thread toniraem!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users