Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Lange's Commentary for e-Sword

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#141 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

Ok Josh

thanks a lot for your hard work
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#142 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

Just found this site today from my sunday school teacher. I have a partial set of the in print volumes and this version of Lange is a masterpiece. The eSword text reads easier than the the printed version!

Agreed!
And no more yellowed pages to deal with!

#143 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

With all that is now available for free, that many of us once paid many $$$ for, I do not understand the attitude some have about paying for premium resources.

Hi Basil,
Well the answer to that question are wide and varied, but perhaps I can just boil it down to two or three at max.
  • Many could be on a pension/superannuation or some other form of benefit
  • Of those you mention and many others are not available for e-Sword. And when it comes down to that, many (including myself) don't see the point of downloading another Bible program which has that resource in their library, just for that one or two resource.
  • The my maxed reason: There are some who believe that everything should be free, and so won't buy them or pay for them.
Now, there could be many other reasons for this, but when all is said and done, they all basically boil down to one of the three or all of the reasons I've mentioned.

It is classical, of course, and probably not as "authoritative" as, say, BGAD, for NT Greek, but one can never have too much knowledge.

I'm not too certain as to what you mean by that as "not as authoritative as..." I've heard that kind of statement many times, and I tend to think that when one says that, its got more to do with snobbery than actual reality. Its like this version of Greek is more accurate than that version of Greek, and the reality is that there is no evidence to show what is purported as true. And if your thoughts on "not as authoritative as..." are akin to what I've just shared, then I would agree with you.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#144 blcjr

blcjr

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Hi Basil,
Well the answer to that question are wide and varied, but perhaps I can just boil it down to two or three at max.

• Many could be on a pension/superannuation or some other form of benefit
  • Of those you mention and many others are not available for e-Sword. And when it comes down to that, many (including myself) don't see the point of downloading another Bible program which has that resource in their library, just for that one or two resource.
  • The my maxed reason: There are some who believe that everything should be free, and so won't buy them or pay for them.
Now, there could be many other reasons for this, but when all is said and done, they all basically boil down to one of the three or all of the reasons I've mentioned.

I'm not too certain as to what you mean by that as "not as authoritative as..." I've heard that kind of statement many times, and I tend to think that when one says that, its got more to do with snobbery than actual reality. Its like this version of Greek is more accurate than that version of Greek, and the reality is that there is no evidence to show what is purported as true. And if your thoughts on "not as authoritative as..." are akin to what I've just shared, then I would agree with you.

Blessings,

My comment was with regard to "Classical Greek" vs. "NT Greek." I would never suggest Liddell-Scott as not "authoritative" in its own native domain (though it can be misused, as disputes over the meaning of "kephale" demonstrate). Given any question of the meaning of a word for NT studies, BGAD should take precedence over Liddell-Scott, simply because by the time of the NT, words didn't always mean the same thing as what they meant during the classical period (centuries earlier). It has nothing to do with "snobbery." It has to do with recognizing that Liddell-Scott focuses on the Greek of an earlier time than the Greek of the NT.

Basil

#145 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

I noticed an update for Lange's was posted at 05:27 PM on the 28th. Any idea what the update was?
Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#146 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

Then there's always the debate over psallo. Arndt and Gingrich, 1st edition, said it meant "to sing." second edition, to sing with an instrument. Third edition (after a lot of Greek scholars showed that they had it right the first time) said "sing" again (I think this is when it switched from A&G to BGAD). Latest edition switched back yet again.

So, you have to take every reference book with a grain of salt.

#147 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'll release an update to Lange. I need to sort the comments differently. The chapter/verse specific comments are there for 7-12 but they appear below the general chapter 7-12 doctrinal discussion instead of before it.

I have updated the commentary file in the Lange download--thanks to Niobi pointing this out. I forgot e-Sword 10.1 shows multiple comments for a single passage in the order shown in the database (as opposed to doing it's own sort, like it used to). That's a good thing, as it gives me more flexibility when making modules.

5/28/2012 - Version 2: Updated the sort order of verse comments so e-Sword 10.1 displays multiple comments for a single verse passage in the correct order (this is another reason why you need e-Sword 10.1 to use this commentary).Practical example: Comments for Isa 8:1-11 (or whatever) shows first, followed by the general Doctrinal section that applies to Isa chapters 7-12. There were a number of other passages effected as well. But all is fixed now.

#148 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

I have updated the commentary file in the Lange download--thanks to Niobi pointing this out. I forgot e-Sword 10.1 shows multiple comments for a single passage in the order shown in the database (as opposed to doing it's own sort, like it used to). That's a good thing, as it gives me more flexibility when making modules.

5/28/2012 - Version 2: Updated the sort order of verse comments so e-Sword 10.1 displays multiple comments for a single verse passage in the correct order (this is another reason why you need e-Sword 10.1 to use this commentary).Practical example: Comments for Isa 8:1-11 (or whatever) shows first, followed by the general Doctrinal section that applies to Isa chapters 7-12. There were a number of other passages effected as well. But all is fixed now.

Thankyou Josh for your faithfulness. Blessings to you. lg

#149 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:53 AM

hi Josh,

Does the other fomats (the Word, MySword) need to be upgraded? or are they Ok?

thanks lot
Niobi aka Patchworkid
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#150 RickB

RickB

e-Sword Supporter

• Contributors
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, Colorado

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

Hi I have downloaded the update of Langes it went fine until I opened Esword and clicked on the tab for it in Commentaries, my computer froze and it said Esword was not responding. Each time after the program was closed I opened it up again and eveything worked except Langes, whenever i clicked Langes it froze. I deleted it from C:Program files/Esword. Everything worked fine, but no Langes of course. I miss it already and wish I had not done the update as the first one worked fine. I tried to download it again, but the same thing happened. I run Windows Vista Home, 64. Anyway i can get the old one back, or any ideas?
RickB

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users