Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Making a Gospel of John word list

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MJaillet

MJaillet

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 01:44 PM

I sent this message to Module Robot - but MR iss not receiving new messages. COuld anyone else respond to this, maybe?  Thanks, M. Jaillet

Module Robot,
I have an intention of making a list and count of all the words in the gospel of John - as a very crude start to organizing whatever, so-called, insights I may discover in the bible.
So, what I wondered if was possible would be to pull out John from the Jay Green LITV-TSP module and reduce it to its most basic words in text form to be able to organize them into a list or alphabetized list of ALL the words present in John. Then I would search for the method or software device to do the actual forming and ordering of the list.
Can I do that from your module(I already have one)? Is it formatted in such a way it could be used for this, if I knew how to do it? And, if yes, would you tell me how?

Thank You, M. Jaillet

#2 modulist

modulist

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 25 September 2021 - 03:46 PM

Hi M. Jaillet

There is a command right within e-Sword itself that may be of use to you. First, choose the translation you want to use in the Bible pane (and, for convenience, set the active verse to John 1:1). Then, choose from the menu bar Bible-->Analyze Verses... A dialog will show up from which you can choose the range of verses that it will analyze. In your case, you would choose Joh 1:1 to 21:25, then click "Analyze." This will show you a list of every word contained in your verse range (in this case, the whole gospel of John), starting from the most occurring word to the least. Then, select the first word shown in the list and scroll down to the bottom of the list and shift-click the last word in the list. Then you should click the little button just above the word list (which is just to the right of "include Strong's numbers", which copies the selected words from the list. You can then paste the entire list into a text editor or whatever program you happen to prefer.

I'm not sure if this is what you were thinking of, but I hope it is helpful nonetheless.

#3 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 25 September 2021 - 08:20 PM

Hi M. Jaillet

There is a command right within e-Sword itself that may be of use to you. First, choose the translation you want to use in the Bible pane (and, for convenience, set the active verse to John 1:1). Then, choose from the menu bar Bible-->Analyze Verses... A dialog will show up from which you can choose the range of verses that it will analyze. In your case, you would choose Joh 1:1 to 21:25, then click "Analyze." This will show you a list of every word contained in your verse range (in this case, the whole gospel of John), starting from the most occurring word to the least. Then, select the first word shown in the list and scroll down to the bottom of the list and shift-click the last word in the list. Then you should click the little button just above the word list (which is just to the right of "include Strong's numbers", which copies the selected words from the list. You can then paste the entire list into a text editor or whatever program you happen to prefer.

I'm not sure if this is what you were thinking of, but I hope it is helpful nonetheless.

Here is a visual perspective of what Modulist was getting at.

Trust that you will find this helpful.

Blessings,

Stephen (Php 1:21).

Edited by APsit190, 25 September 2021 - 08:23 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#4 modulist

modulist

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:21 PM

Hello APsit190,

You did a good tutorial on verse lists, but that is not exactly what I was getting at. I was thinking of the Analyze Verses feature, as pictured below.

This would be a faster way to see every word found in a particular range of scripture (up to a whole book of the Bible) and to see how many times each word is found within said range, all in a few clicks.

So with that, I say good evening (for it is evening in this part of the world).

Attached Files

#5 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:08 AM

I have an intention of making a list and count of all the words in the gospel of John - as a very crude start to organizing whatever, so-called, insights I may discover in the bible.
So, what I wondered if was possible would be to pull out John from the Jay Green LITV-TSP module and reduce it to its most basic words in text form to be able to organize them into a list or alphabetized list of ALL the words present in John. Then I would search for the method or software device to do the actual forming and ordering of the list.

Do as modulist wrote. If you want a list from the LITV of Jay Green.

If you want a real list of "most basic words" from John: without the words in italics are Strong's numbers based on an alphabetized list of Greek (mostly) root words a better option.

The NT of LITV is based on the Textus Receptus of Scrivener.

With "most basic words" do you mean the dictionary form, lemma or root word? What about the verbs "be" and "have" and the pronouns?

Remember the "I AM" in John and that "have" and" be" are also used of as auxiliary for other verbs.

So you need not only to reduce the word list but also add the count of reduced word forms to the word count by the lemma(base form).

In English are the lemmatisation of verbs  and nouns the hardest part of the work.

In English are there only 3 articles (a ,an, the) while in Biblical Greek are "the" definite articles G3588 : based on 4 cases, 3 genders and 2 numbers(singular or plural).

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:42 PM

Hello APsit190,

You did a good tutorial on verse lists, but that is not exactly what I was getting at. I was thinking of the Analyze Verses feature, as pictured below.

This would be a faster way to see every word found in a particular range of scripture (up to a whole book of the Bible) and to see how many times each word is found within said range, all in a few clicks.

So with that, I say good evening (for it is evening in this part of the world).

Oh, that one. You know, that never entered into my mind. Embarrassing! So thanks for that. I'll do a video on that as well, and plonk it up on here.

X (formerly Twitter)

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 06:41 PM

Oh, that one. You know, that never entered into my mind. Embarrassing! So thanks for that. I'll do a video on that as well, and plonk it up on here.

So, from that embarrassing moment to the verse analyzer part of e-Sword. So sit back, put your feet up, and enjoy.

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 05:01 AM

To copy more than one item you can use the standard Windows file selection method with mouse (click on item at top, scroll to bottom, hold down shift key and click on last item) or (hold down ctrl key and click individual items)

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 02:15 PM

To copy more than one item you can use the standard Windows file selection method with mouse (click on item at top, scroll to bottom, hold down shift key and click on last item) or (hold down ctrl key and click individual items)

Hi Jon,

Tested and passed. Thanks for that bit of information.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#10 MJaillet

MJaillet

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 12:57 PM

Hi M. Jaillet

Modulist,

Thanks for your reply. This is exactly what I was looking for. Great. We'll see now if I actually do something with this. I think it is a good start to my intention of getting something of an overview of the whole bible by relating verses all over through John - since John is so central to the whole Bible. It should help illuminate and tie the whole bible together in some sort of simplified, but, comprehensive and accurate view - I am hopeing. It will be a good while finding out.

Thanks, again

APsit190, Katoog, and JPG - thank you, also, for your replies. Thanks very much.

them

And, Katoog, I think "basic" was misleading. I was referring more to just single words, really(I think) - most basic "form". The words I want most are the most important and informative words - like, believe, water, love, (the)way, truth, obey, etc. and on - words like that and tiie them

in to the rest of the Bible. Sorry for that wrong path, there.

Thank You for your reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users