Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Getting unconfirmed downloads

6 replies to this topic

#1 chuckH

chuckH

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 07:40 AM

I have version 13.0.0 of e-sword and I tried to download a module Speaking In Tongues by Phillip Mouro. I get a file called "Unconfirmed853487crdownload" that cannot be opened. What went wrong?

#2 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 04 January 2024 - 12:14 PM

http://www.biblesupport.com/e-sword-downloads/file/7176-mauro-philip-speaking-in-tongues/

There are two modules provided for download, as last updated Jan 21, 2022.
[1] Mauro - Speaking in Tongues.topx 28K
[2] mauro_-_speaking_in_tongues.refi 39K

The *.topx option is applicable only to use of e-Sword for the PC

The *.refi option is applicable to any recent version of e-Sword. This is for e-Sword for the PC, e-Sword X for the Mac, e-Sword HD for the iPad, e-Sword LT for the iPhone , and for e-Sword for Android devices.

If the download is still in process, then the unconfirmed placeholder for the downloading file will appear on your PC, in the download folder. This simply means that the download did not complete the process.
In South Africa, where I am, I have a very slow internet response, working off the telephone network. So because of this, when I browse to the download folder, I definitely see the *crdownload file. This remains there until the download has completely downloaded, and that file was then closed. This occurred when I downloaded using the Firefox browser. The same occurrence happened when using the Microsoft Edge browser.

Perhaps the internet went slow. I have downloaded both to a PC running e-Sword for the PC version 12.2 My suggestion, [1] try to download again. [2] Try with another type of browser.

Using Firefox, I was unable to browse into the download folder, to access and change the properties of the file. Using the Edge Browser, I was able to browse into the download folder. Then, I browsed to each downloaded file, in turn, and looked at the "Properties" option. Then I modified the Properties, by noticing the block my PC had added to the file, with the warning, "Security: This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer." Select the check box alongside the word "Unblock", so that a tick mark will appear in the check box. Then select the "Apply" button, which had previously been greyed out. You will notice that the date and time of last access to the file will be updated. Select the "OK" button to exit the Properties window.

Unlike APsit190, who has a very fast internet connection, and downloads a file in a few seconds, each download that I request from Bible Support, will take many minutes to download. I also do not download the file directly into the target directory, but into a download folder, from which I use the Bible Support Module Installer to place a copy of the downloaded file into the relevant e-Sword folder.

I have the Bible Support Module Installer installed on my PC. So I selected the *.topx file, and put the *.topx into the personal user files location folder, and it opens with the Topics Editor okay.

Then I have put the *.refi module into the Resources Location folder, and it is read with the Reference Library option, among the Reference Books, okay.
Just try the download again.

I confirmed the situation by downloading The Jewish Encyclopedia 1.1 from http://www.biblesupport.com/e-sword-downloads/file/12244-the-jewish-encyclopedia/ where there are six dictionary parts, each of which took many minutes to download. These were downloaded, one part at a time, and for each part, the file placeholder appeared, together with the name of the file which was being downloaded at 0 bytes. When the download completed, then the file was closed, showed the size of the bytes contents, and the placeholder was removed.
Conclusion - your download was still in progress, when you browsed to view the contents of the folder into which you were downloading your file.

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 06 January 2024 - 03:18 PM.

#3 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 07:59 PM

I have version 13.0.0 of e-sword and I tried to download a module Speaking In Tongues by Phillip Mouro. I get a file called "Unconfirmed853487crdownload" that cannot be opened. What went wrong?

It is my personal experience that if you are using a recent version of Google Chrome, then your browser will not complete downloads from BibleSupport.com unless you go to the download icon near the top right of the browser and tell Chrome to "Keep" each file that you have started to download.  BibleSupport.com is considered insecure by Google Chrome because BibleSupport.com is an http:// website instead of a more secure https:// website.

ElderB

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 05 January 2024 - 12:29 PM

It is my personal experience that if you are using a recent version of Google Chrome, then your browser will not complete downloads from BibleSupport.com unless you go to the download icon near the top right of the browser and tell Chrome to "Keep" each file that you have started to download.  BibleSupport.com is considered insecure by Google Chrome because BibleSupport.com is an http:// website instead of a more secure https:// website.

ElderB

Another way around it (of which I have no issues with) is use either Firefox or Microsoft Edge web browser, or any other web browser, and totally ditch Chrome.

Moreover, if one is actually security conscious, my recommendation for two of the best web browsers is Firefox and Brave. I use Firefox, and never had download issues with it at all!

Trust you find this information helpful.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 05 January 2024 - 12:30 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 05 January 2024 - 01:15 PM

If you have problems with files not downloading completely to the folder that you expect them to download into, then they may be in a temporary folder. Here is the solution from Rick Meyers to this problem. Browse to the folder, and change the access of that folder and its contents, as to who can access all the files in that folder. Here are his details.

Windows places files into a "Virtual Store" folder if it doesn't have the proper permissions to place them into the e-Sword program directory.  These files will appear within e-Sword as if they were where they belong, but when you look in the e-Sword program directory they are not actually there.

You will need to Google for instructions on locating the "Virtual Store" folder for your particular version of Windows.  Once you locate that folder you can move the Bibles and other resources into the actual e-Sword program directory.

The permissions "fix" is to set the "Security" on the e-Sword program directory (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword\) to allow the "Everyone" account Full Control.

In His service,

Rick Meyers

rick@e-sword.net

If I try using the Firefox browser, sometimes it does not like Bible Support, because that is not a secure website. Then try the download again, using the latest Microsoft Edge browser. Also, check that you have updated your browsers recently.  In order to overcome the problem of espionage between China and Europe and the US, many browsers have recently been updated. Firefox also has a Developer Edition of their Firefox browser, available, which they use to test new options, to overcome previously discovered problems. For details, see https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/   and see https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/

The Microsoft Edge browser also has a Beta version of its Browser that is available. Sometimes the manufacturers take their options off line, to update and implement some changes - so just re-download the module that was not completely downloaded. After you have successfully processed a download, a "refresh" of the web page ought to let that temporary placeholder entry disappear. See for more details: https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/Edge-Enterprise/blob/public/edgeenterprise/microsoft-edge-release-schedule.md

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 01:48 PM

If you have problems with files not downloading completely to the folder that you expect them to download into, then they may be in a temporary folder. Here is the solution from Rick Meyers to this problem. Browse to the folder, and change the access of that folder and its contents, as to who can access all the files in that folder. Here are his details.

Windows places files into a "Virtual Store" folder if it doesn't have the proper permissions to place them into the e-Sword program directory.  These files will appear within e-Sword as if they were where they belong, but when you look in the e-Sword program directory they are not actually there.

You will need to Google for instructions on locating the "Virtual Store" folder for your particular version of Windows.  Once you locate that folder you can move the Bibles and other resources into the actual e-Sword program directory.

The permissions "fix" is to set the "Security" on the e-Sword program directory (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword\) to allow the "Everyone" account Full Control.

In His service,

Rick Meyers

rick@e-sword.net

If I try using the Firefox browser, sometimes it does not like Bible Support, because that is not a secure website. Then try the download again, using the latest Microsoft Edge browser. Also, check that you have updated your browsers recently.  In order to overcome the problem of espionage between China and Europe and the US, many browsers have recently been updated. Firefox also has a Developer Edition of their Firefox browser, available, which they use to test new options, to overcome previously discovered problems. For details, see https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/   and see https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/

The Microsoft Edge browser also has a Beta version of its Browser that is available. Sometimes the manufacturers take their options off line, to update and implement some changes - so just re-download the module that was not completely downloaded. After you have successfully processed a download, a "refresh" of the web page ought to let that temporary placeholder entry disappear. See for more details: https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/Edge-Enterprise/blob/public/edgeenterprise/microsoft-edge-release-schedule.md

Olaf,

That's not the issue that Chucky was experiencing. You're coming from at totally different planet about a totally different issue which has nothing to do with this one.

Actually read what the problem the person is experiencing rather than assuming what the problem is!!!

Of which has nothing to do with what you said.

X (formerly Twitter)

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 07:47 PM

I tried to replicate your issue, and failed at it.

So watch the video and see if what I did is any different from what you did.

Just be aware that my e-Sword location maybe radically different from yours

My e-Sword resource location is:

D:\Documents\e-Sword\e-Sword Resources

So don't let that throw you off. Just stick to where your resource location is, i.e., C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 05 January 2024 - 07:55 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users