Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Why do marked up files disappear using the same Bible?

Markup File

5 replies to this topic

#1 GregWI

GregWI

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:38 PM

I use e-Sword vs 9.9.1 on desktop and laptop. I highlighted and underlined various Scripture relating to Salvation. After I highlighted and underlined (marked) the various Scripture, I clicked Bible/Markup File/New to save the marked Bible as "Salvation.ovlx" However, when I click Bible/Markup File/Open and choose Salvation.ovlx, all the highlights and underlines disappear! I checked and rechecked the manual to see what I'm not doing, but It does not seem I'm forgetting anything. Grant it, the manual states you have to use the same Bible, which I do. But it still does not work. What am I doing wrong?

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

When you click Bible/Markup and then select New, e-Sword creates a new, blank markup file. It does not save your existing markups when you click File/New. It creates a new file. Step #2 in the manual is a bit confusing, thank you for the feedback. I will clarify that now since I'm updating it again.

#3 GregWI

GregWI

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

So then how do you save a marked up file? How do you create multiple marked up files? What did I misinterpret in the manual?

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

By default, e-Sword uses markup.ovlx. When you highlight or underline, the data is stored in markup.ovlx, unless you change a setting.

Let's say you created a new markup file called test.ovlx. You're starting with a blank slate because its a new file. Any marks you make will be stored in test.ovlx. You can still switch back to your original markup.ovlx file and view those markups.

Let's say you wanted to create a third markup file. Let's call it anothertest.ovlx. Again, your starting with a blank slate. Any changes you make will be stored in anothertest.ovlx. You can still open and use your test.ovlx markup file. And you also have your original markup.ovlx file.

Where you're confusing the functionality is you think when you create a new markup file, the changes you already made should be in the new markup file. They aren't because it's a new markup file. You're trying to use the new markup file as a "save as" feature and it doesn't save as. It creates a new blank document.

Analogy: when you use a word processor and you click new file. It creates a new file--it doesn't save your existing data into the new file. That would be called a "save as" command. There isn't a "save as" command for markups.

#5 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

This is another point where a "Save As" would be nice, along with Note files and Topic files. I know they weren't there before, but it would be nice to have... :-) For now, you can just copy and paste a new copy and rename in in Windows Explorer. But...

#6 GregWI

GregWI

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

Thank you Josh. It works!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users