Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Paleo Hebrew

27 replies to this topic

#1 YahsScriptures

YahsScriptures

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 06:22 PM

I am creating a module that uses God's name in Paleo Hebrew like this: π€‰π€„𐀅𐀄

Is there anyway to put the Paleo Hebrew in the module itself?

Thanks in advance.

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 30 August 2023 - 06:37 PM

The only way you can know if it will work, is to try it for yourself. If it works, great! If it doesn't, O well, at least you gave it ago, and found out that it doesn't. And also you will have your answer either way.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

@APsit190

Edited by APsit190, 30 August 2023 - 06:42 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 August 2023 - 12:16 AM

I am creating a module that uses God's name in Paleo Hebrew like this: 

Thanks in advance.

Yes, there is.  Jeff Benner did something similar in his Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible module.  Jeff Benner also included the fonts to install along with his lexicon module.  More information regarding what Jeff Benner did is available at:   http://www.biblesupp...n-of-the-bible/

ElderB

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 03:06 PM

I am creating a module that uses God's name in Paleo Hebrew like this: [/size]

Thanks in advance.

Yes, there is.  Jeff Benner did something similar in his Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible module.  Jeff Benner also included the fonts to install along with his lexicon module.  More information regarding what Jeff Benner did is available at:   http://www.biblesupp...n-of-the-bible/

ElderB

Just a matter of interest; Jeff Benner specializes in Mosaic Hebrew, and His Lexicon is focused on that time period, and not so much of the Paleo period. Below is a chart showing the historicity of the Hebrew text which will give you a timeline of the development of the Hebrew language.

Attached File  Historicity of Hebrew Text.jpg   211.55K   10 downloads

So, as to how helpful Jeff Benner's work will be, that I'll leave to "JahsScriptures" (whoever he or she is) to decide.

Edited by APsit190, 01 September 2023 - 03:16 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 YahsScriptures

YahsScriptures

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 September 2023 - 07:56 PM

ElderB

Do you happen to know how Jeff Benner put the ancient Hebrew in his? I have been trying to figure it out but I can't. I also emailed Jeff Benner, but never got a response.

Edited by YahsScriptures, 23 September 2023 - 07:57 PM.

#6 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 24 September 2023 - 10:34 AM

Do you happen to know how Jeff Benner put the ancient Hebrew in his? I have been trying to figure it out but I can't. I also emailed Jeff Benner, but never got a response.

He used special fonts to create the ancient Hebrew characters, you need to download and install the fonts into e-Sword.

#7 YahsScriptures

YahsScriptures

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 September 2023 - 12:15 PM

He used special fonts to create the ancient Hebrew characters, you need to download and install the fonts into e-Sword.

When I open his in e-Sword, it shows up with the Hebrew letters. But when I open his in Tooltip, it appears as a regular font.

#8 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 24 September 2023 - 12:34 PM

When I open his in e-Sword, it shows up with the Hebrew letters. But when I open his in Tooltip, it appears as a regular font.

The font settings in e-sword determine how things appear in e-Sword. Try changing fonts in Tooltip to use the same special fonts that are required for e-Sword.

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 24 September 2023 - 01:37 PM

To make life a tad simpler wthout having to resort to Jeff Benner, click here to download the paleo Hebrew font.

As noted before, Jeff Benner's work deals with Mosaic ancient Hebrew, which is of a totally diffrent and earlier period from the Paleo era.

Blessings

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#10 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 September 2023 - 02:58 PM

On my e-Sword for Windows version 13.0.0, Jeff Benner's .dctx module (using RTF) shows up with the Hebrew letters but his .dcti module (using HTML) does NOT show up with the Hebrew letters.

Looking at the RTF code in the .dctx module, Jeff Benner is using three basic fonts:  Times New Roman (for English), Semitic Early (for the ancient Hebrew characters), and Semitic Modern (for the modern Hebrew characters).

In the RTF code, when Jeff wants the Semitic Early characters to be displayed, it would look something like this:  \f1 Mfet%\f0 

The \f1 starts using the Semitic Early font character set.  The Mfet represents four separate characters from that Semitic Early font character set.  The %\f0 ends that specific instance of using the Semitic Early font character set.

You would want to substitute a Paleo Hebrew font character set for the Semitic Early font character set, as APsit190 stated.

If you are in e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT and you want to see Paleo Hebrew font characters, then you will have to highlight those specific regular font characters and change them from Trebuchet or Arial (or whatever is your e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT default font is) to Paleo Hebrew.

On my cell phone, e-Sword for Android (latest version), the Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible shows up with the Hebrew letters.  This module is one of the Lexicon modules that is made available by Rick Meyers to be downloadable from within the e-Sword for Android application, and it is my belief that this module has the Semitic Early font character set built into it. 

On the other hand, I do NOT believe that any of the AHLB .dcti modules (using HTML) that are currently available from BibleSupport.com will properly display the ancient Hebrew characters or modern Hebrew characters (on Windows, Apple devices, or Android devices) because I do not find any reference to the use of the Semitic Early and Semitic Modern font character sets in the HTML code of any of these modules.  

It's too bad that e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT isn't able to recognize the .RTF code for these font character sets and create equivalent HTML code to accomplish the same thing.

ElderB

Edited by ElderB, 24 September 2023 - 02:58 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users