Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

e-Sword for Android Import Feature/Function

5 replies to this topic

#1 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 10:36 AM

After some confusion and struggling with the e-Sword for Android import feature I finally figured it out and here are the correct steps to import modules from Bible Support or any other third party site offering e-Sword modules.

Note: e-Sword for Android uses the same module file formats that are used on the Apple/Mac versions of e-Sword. The file formats are shown below:

Android/Apple/MAC file format

Bible (bbli)
Commentary (cmti)
Dictionary (dcti)
Bible Reading Plan (brpi).
Devotional (devi)
Reference Library (refi)
Topic File (topi)
Lexicon (lexi)

Import steps:

Step 1: On your Android device open the web browser and navigate to biblesupport.com
Step 2: You will need to sign into Bible Support using your user name and password.
Step 3: After signing in, navigate to the module or modules you want to add to e-Sword for Android.
Step 4: Download the modules as you would on to a PC they will download into your Android Download folder. 
Step 5: Close the browser on your Android device and Open e-Sword on your Android device
Step 6: At the top left of the e-Sword for Android screen you will see three horizontal lines tap the lines to open the e-Sword for Android menu

Step 7: Scroll down the menu until you see Import in the menu list and tap it this will open the Android download folder

Step 8: The download folder will show the module or modules you downloaded from Bible Support. Tap the files to install them. 
Step 9: Return to e-Sword for Android and you will able to use the downloaded modules.

The above steps only work for downloading modules from third party sites such as Bible Support, if you have modules you have made yourself you will need to upload them to the cloud using Google Drive, One Drive or any other cloud drive. Once they have been uploaded you can repeat the steps above just navigate to the cloud drive instead of Bible Support.

If you have any e-Sword for Windows modules that are not in file formats listed above must be converted to the Apple/Mac file format before being uploaded to a cloud drive. Windows modules have file extensions that end in the letter "x" as shown below:

e-Sword versions 9 and up for Windows

Bible (bblx)
Commentary (cmtx)
Dictionary (dctx)
Bible Reading Plan (brpx)
Devotional (devx)
Topic (topx)
Harmony File (harx)
Maps/Graphics (mapx)

Edited by Tj Higgins, 09 June 2022 - 10:37 AM.

#2 ErikJon

ErikJon

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2022 - 11:19 AM

I have spent hours downloading ordinary PC versions of these files and some work and some don't. I have also tried using the Mac versions and some of them don't work. And will Version 9 files work?

Edited by ErikJon, 01 September 2022 - 11:23 AM.

#3 ErikJon

ErikJon

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2022 - 11:21 AM

Here are the official instructions from e-Sword. Scroll down to the section that's called "HOW DO I GET MY PC E‑SWORD MODULES INTO E‑SWORD ?"

https://www.e-sword....android/faq.htm

To be honest, if this is the only way to convert modules using this utility, it will take forever. It is not a Batch Converter but does only one module at a time and very slowly at that; I'm talking about 5 minutes per module in some cases

Edited by ErikJon, 01 September 2022 - 01:21 PM.

#4 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 01 September 2022 - 01:37 PM

I have spent hours downloading ordinary PC versions of these files and some work and some don't. I have also tried using the Mac versions and some of them don't work. And will Version 9 files work?

No the module format for e-Sword for Android is the same format used with Apple and Mac devices as the modules are in html format. So only modules whose file extensions end with the letter i such as bbli for bible, cmti for commentary, dcti for dictionary etc

Here is full list of the Apple/Mac module extensions:

Android/Apple/MAC

Bible (bbli)
Commentary (cmti)
Dictionary (dcti)
Bible Reading Plan (brpi).
Devotional (devi)
Reference Library (refi)
Topic File (topi)
Lexicon (lexi)

You can convert Windows only modules to the Apple/MAC format using the converter available at e-Sword.net

https://www.e-sword.net/extras.html

I am aware of the official instructions posted for downloading modules to e-Sword for Android however after several failed attempts to transfer files, I decided a more detailed set of step by step instructions was needed. This is why I started this post because there are two different methods depending on how you are downloading modules. One method is for downloading from third party sites such as Bible Support, which are the step by step instructions in my original post

The other method is for transfering modules you already have such as modules for the PC version of e-Sword. This easiest way to accomplish this is to first upload the modules to a Google Drive. Once they are on the Google Drive, you then navigate to the Google Drive using your Android device and download the modules on to the device. Once they are downloaded they will be found by e-Sword for Android's Import function and will install easy

#5 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 September 2022 - 10:09 PM

For further useful information please follow the following link: 
http://www.biblesupport.com/topic/11824-transfering-modules-from-e-sword-for-windows-and-applemac-devices-to-e-sword-for-android

#6 Glenn1611

Glenn1611

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 February 2024 - 02:49 PM

Thank you so much for this guidance—just what I needed to get Gaebelin's Annotated Bible commentary on to my new Android tablet.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users