Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Loss of Format and Style

11 replies to this topic

#1 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 30 July 2023 - 01:41 AM

For some weird reason, when converting an refx file to a refi file a great deal of formatting and style goes pear shaped. See video below to see what I'm talking about.

So if anyone got any idea of a fix (apart of annoying Rick Meyers), it would be great idea.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 31 July 2023 - 03:44 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#2 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 05:36 PM

The e-Sword PC Module Conversion Utility v4.2.0 is able to read your .REFX file and causes the same formatting issues for me that it did for you, when I used the utility to covert the downloaded .REFX to .REFI.

e-Sword ToolTip NT is also able to read your .REFX file.  I was able to create a .REFI file in e-Sword ToolTip NT that had formatting the same as what you were hoping for, but I haven't yet able to get rid of the duplicate Chapter Titles and getting the file to successfully save.

.REFX files are challenging to deal with because their text is unreadable Binary "BLOB_TEXT" in the "Notes" field of the database structure.  It would be nice to convert them to .REFI files because then the text would be readable in the "Content" field of the database structure.

ElderB

Edited by ElderB, 30 July 2023 - 06:01 PM.

#3 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 06:11 PM

@ElderB

Everything regarding that file was done in e-Sword. The topx file was converted to an refx file in e-Sword. Then after that, using Rick Meyers' e-Sword Module Converter, I converted that refx file to an refi file. That's it!

What I might do, and see if it works, is to open that topx file in T4, and then save it as an refi file. See what happens.

If it works, great! If it doesn't: Oh well, that was a waste of time sort of thingy.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#4 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 09:29 PM

When you uploaded the file, you stated:  "At some later stage I'll upload an refi, a topi, and a topx versions of this resource."

I was trying to figure out how to create a .topi version, and there seems to be nothing but obstacles. 

The most recent version of e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT doesn't have TOPI on its Modules(4) menu. 

I assumed that if I started with a .topx file and used e-Sword PC Module Conversion Utility v4.2.0 to convert the file, that it would create a .topi file.  Instead, it created a .refi file.

I looked through the BibleSupport.com downloads area for quite a while, and I didn't find a single .topi file to download.

I looked on my Android phone which has e-Sword for Android, but I wasn't successful at finding a .topi file there also.

I'm not sure it is worth the time to go that route.

ElderB

#5 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 03:37 AM

I post this reply from Rick, in the hope that ones get to read and understand what he means

Jon,

User files are unique to the operating system as their editors and capabilities are also unique.  Android is HTML, and Apple is basically HTML and will certainly accept it as that is how the converter supplies it from the PC side.  To make the PC e-Sword store notes in HTML is to deprive the editor of some of its capabilities, but maybe that wouldn't affect too many users as HTML has gotten much better than when e-Sword was first created 23 years ago!  RTF is horrible, but it was all we had back then.

In His service,

Rick Meyers

#6 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 08:14 AM

Jon,

Is there a good way for someone with a Windows PC to create a .TOPI file for someone with an Android device, or for someone with an Apple device?

ElderB

#7 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 08:42 AM

Please ask Rick Meyers, so we can all put this issue to bed.

#8 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:56 PM

Please ask Rick Meyers, so we can all put this issue to bed.

I submitted my questions to Rick Meyers on the e-Sword web site this evening.  Hopefully Rick will find the time to respond in the near future.

ElderB

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 09:33 PM

Just had a "crazy," thought. For those of you who have e-Sword X (that's for a Mac), is it possible to convert a topi file to an refi within e-Sword X, as in the same way one can do it on e-Sword WPC (Windows Personal Computer)?

X (formerly Twitter)

#10 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 10:34 PM

Brian,

For all practical purposes, there is no such thing as a TOPI file.  The non-PC apps use the REFI files for viewing books, which is why the convertor creates those.   By the way, the PC app, versions 11 and later, can view the REFI files as well.  As such, there is really no need for REFX or TOPX files.

In His service,

Rick Meyers

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users