Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

question about searching all e-sword resources

4 replies to this topic

#1 Remuhs

Remuhs

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 06:12 PM

Hello... I am relatively new to this forum.

I was not sure how to search the forums so I am just going to ask here.

I have downloaded many commentaries & dictionaries & I am in the process of downloading various resources, and I am very thankful for them all.

But it would be helpful to be able to search ALL the resources, if possible, for an item or idea or topic.

For example, if I searched "hell" a list of all the entries in all the commentaries, dictionaries, and resources would populate.

This would be most helpful. I am not familiar with any of the e-Sword tools there might be, but I haven't seen any way to do this search.

Also, if I am studying a verse, I can readily see commentaries which have entries for a verse, but how about a way to see any / all entries in a dictionary or reference work?

Any help or insight would be very welcome. Thank you!

#2 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 10:39 PM

If you use the PC version of e-Sword:

For the first question: click on the Bible or Commentary menu and "extended search"

With the Books icon can you select all

For the "hell" search need you also search for Sheol, Hades, Gehenna and Tartarus

I have no hell in my translation because I use Sheol(Hades), Gehenna and Tartarus instead.

The Hebrew Sheol and Greek Hades means underworld or realm of death.

The Greek word Gehenna is a fire place to burn human trash.

The Greek word Tartarus is only used in 2Pe 2:4

For the second question: commentaries that have the verse are marked with a blue info icon. (If v for verse is selected)

Edited by Katoog, 28 June 2023 - 10:40 PM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#3 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 29 June 2023 - 01:48 AM

Hello Remuhs,
Please open your browser and go to the website of the developer of e-Sword. There are five different varieties of e-Sword, developed by Rick Meyers, for example e-Sword X for the Mac, e-Sword HD for the iPad, e-Sword LT for the iPhone, and e-Sword for Android devices. There is also e-Sword for the PC and laptop running on the Microsoft Operating System from Windows XP Pro 2003 through various varieties up to Windows 11.
To access these versions of e-Sword, use the option to LINKS, select the version of e-Sword, then select the available options, and view the FEATURES of that variety of e-Sword.

I suggest that it would be best for you to begin at the following link. https://www.e-sword.net
Then select the "Training" option, and please work your way systematically through all the examples. This will give you a very good background of the views and options that were provided for the PC. There have been similar options developed for other devices that run their own versions of e-Sword., and have other capabilities, depending on the size of screen, and the options available from touch screens on those different devices.

Usually the search option begins from a specific version of the Bible, in a selected language.
The various modules that you have downloaded to your version of e-Sword are linked in the background on a SQLite database, which enables quick links to be made between Bibles, Commentaries, Dictionaries, linked on the Book of the Bible, the chapter, and the verse. Some Dictionaries have used the numbering system of James Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the KJV (1769) version of the Bible in English (1890). This classified the Hebrew and Greek words into their "root" number, in a numerical order. An abbreviated short dictionary of the meaning of these Hebrew and Greek words was also provided. These definitions were sometimes based on conjectures, and were not designed to replace the use of more authoritative language dictionaries or more accurate lexicons, but enabled quick access to find the location of where the original Hebrew and Greek words had been translated into equivalent English words, throughout the KJV Bible. Using the search on the Strong's numbers has enabled search to be made on the Strong's number, in Greek (New Testament words), or Hebrew (Old Testament words). These are correlated with information in many other Commentaries and Dictionaries and other Bible versions.
You can also search on a word, or a specific phrase. But, of course, this only works if those words were used by the translators in the version of the Bible (Old Testament), or (New Testament), that you select to use in the search option. Since 1890 there have been more accurate versions of the Strong's Concordance produced by various printing Companies, which identified and corrected many errors, as the new editions were verified by computer searches and verification of the information that had been manually produced by James Strong and his colleagues in 1890.

Similar extended search can occur throughout the modules in the Reference Library options in e-Sword. Extended search options can search in selected books, or in all varieties of options.

Welcome to many hours of useful learning. Whatever you learn will be most effective if you ask God to help you to find a practical way to incorporate the knowledge into your way of life.

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 29 June 2023 - 04:20 PM.

#4 Remuhs

Remuhs

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 07:30 PM

If you use the PC version of e-Sword:

For the first question: click on the Bible or Commentary menu and "extended search"

With the Books icon can you select all

For the "hell" search need you also search for Sheol, Hades, Gehenna and Tartarus

I have no hell in my translation because I use Sheol(Hades), Gehenna and Tartarus instead.

The Hebrew Sheol and Greek Hades means underworld or realm of death.

The Greek word Gehenna is a fire place to burn human trash.

The Greek word Tartarus is only used in 2Pe 2:4

For the second question: commentaries that have the verse are marked with a blue info icon. (If v for verse is selected)

Thank you for your response.

#5 Remuhs

Remuhs

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 07:36 PM

Hello Remuhs,
Please open your browser and go to the website of the developer of e-Sword. There are five different varieties of e-Sword, developed by Rick Meyers, for example e-Sword X for the Mac, e-Sword HD for the iPad, e-Sword LT for the iPhone, and e-Sword for Android devices. There is also e-Sword for the PC and laptop running on the Microsoft Operating System from Windows XP Pro 2003 through various varieties up to Windows 11.
To access these versions of e-Sword, use the option to LINKS, select the version of e-Sword, then select the available options, and view the FEATURES of that variety of e-Sword.

I suggest that it would be best for you to begin at the following link. https://www.e-sword.net
Then select the "Training" option, and please work your way systematically through all the examples. This will give you a very good background of the views and options that were provided for the PC. There have been similar options developed for other devices that run their own versions of e-Sword., and have other capabilities, depending on the size of screen, and the options available from touch screens on those different devices.

Usually the search option begins from a specific version of the Bible, in a selected language.
The various modules that you have downloaded to your version of e-Sword are linked in the background on a SQLite database, which enables quick links to be made between Bibles, Commentaries, Dictionaries, linked on the Book of the Bible, the chapter, and the verse. Some Dictionaries have used the numbering system of James Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the KJV (1769) version of the Bible in English (1890). This classified the Hebrew and Greek words into their "root" number, in a numerical order. An abbreviated short dictionary of the meaning of these Hebrew and Greek words was also provided. These definitions were sometimes based on conjectures, and were not designed to replace the use of more authoritative language dictionaries or more accurate lexicons, but enabled quick access to find the location of where the original Hebrew and Greek words had been translated into equivalent English words, throughout the KJV Bible. Using the search on the Strong's numbers has enabled search to be made on the Strong's number, in Greek (New Testament words), or Hebrew (Old Testament words). These are correlated with information in many other Commentaries and Dictionaries and other Bible versions.
You can also search on a word, or a specific phrase. But, of course, this only works if those words were used by the translators in the version of the Bible (Old Testament), or (New Testament), that you select to use in the search option. Since 1890 there have been more accurate versions of the Strong's Concordance produced by various printing Companies, which identified and corrected many errors, as the new editions were verified by computer searches and verification of the information that had been manually produced by James Strong and his colleagues in 1890.

Similar extended search can occur throughout the modules in the Reference Library options in e-Sword. Extended search options can search in selected books, or in all varieties of options.

Welcome to many hours of useful learning. Whatever you learn will be most effective if you ask God to help you to find a practical way to incorporate the knowledge into your way of life.

Thank you for the response. It was most helpful.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users