Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword Supports Overlapping Verses--As Does T3

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

I discovered today, thanks in part to Rick, that e-Sword commentaries can have overlapping verses. So if you have a comment for Genesis 1:1-10. And another comment for Genesis 1:1-3. e-Sword will display both comments when you click on Genesis 1:1.

And even more surprising, Tooltip supports this already.

When you make a commentary in Tooltip, your text would look like:

÷Gen 1:1-3
something

÷Gen 1:1-10
something else

T3 will compile that into a commentary module with a record for each comment. And e-Sword displays both, like this:
Attached File  overlap.png   19.65K   15 downloads

I know of at least one other module maker that didn't know this. I hope we two aren't the only ones who didn't know. ;)

#2 dyan

dyan

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

Yes, in fact, it supports not just 2 overlapping verses, but multiple overlapping verses, although I don't know if there is a limit. I myself, discovered this by accident when I was making a module for personal use.
In some of the verse comments of the commentary module I had made, there were up to 8 overlapping verse comments. I guess this feature has been in e-Sword from ver. 9

Now, that we've discovered this, who's volunteering to make the Expositor's Bible Commentary? :D

Edited by dyan, 04 November 2011 - 03:26 PM.

#3 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

Dyan (& all),

this was one of two major issues to ".cmtxing" Expositor's Bible. (The other issue is a tremendous amount of topical material in each volume). From a technical point, making a .cmtx of it will now be much easier.

By the way - here's one more builder that didn't know about overlapping verses. Duh.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#4 dyan

dyan

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

I'm just thinking aloud here...I think there is a need for some kind of knowledge base, which module builders can refer to for specifications for various modules. We could start a topic, say "The Things I've learnt about building Modules", where all the module builders could pool in their knowledge. Tips on building various modules, rtf code, module specs, etc.

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

I'm just thinking aloud here...I think there is a need for some kind of knowledge base, which module builders can refer to for specifications for various modules. We could start a topic, say "The Things I've learnt about building Modules", where all the module builders could pool in their knowledge. Tips on building various modules, rtf code, module specs, etc.

You mean like a wikipedia type of thing? I agree by the way, we need something. Most of us wonder: why don't more people make modules? It's fairly intimidating with no central repository for tips like this.

#6 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

I guess this feature has been in e-Sword from ver. 9

It has been present since either e-Sword 7.9.6, or e-Sword 8.0.1.

jonathon

#7 dyan

dyan

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

A Wikipedia type of format would be fantastic ! A lot of the information on module building specs is already there on the old site. Someone would have to do some searching to get it all out. And the rest can be added by all the experts here.

Also, another page could be devoted to Tips on using e-Sword, which could then be added to the User's Manual

#8 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

another page could be devoted to Tips on using e-Sword, which could then be added to the User's Manual

The issue here is that what one person considers to be so basic, and thus thinks that everybody "knows", can easily be something that very few others know.

Example # 1: Display one more translation of the Bible on the screen, than the Parallel Bible Component has slots for.

Example # 2: Construction of a user-searchable resource that contains Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, and Latin text.

jonathon

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

IPBoard supports the creation of a wiki-style database that tracks revisions and that multiple people can edit, vote on, moderators approve, etc. I'll get that setup soon, one for e-Sword and one for Tooltip. I'd like to see if I can find a sample IPBoard wiki database configuration already setup. I'll look into this more.

When we do set it up, we're going to keep it realistic, practical, and easy to understand, even if it means leaving out concepts like Greek, Hebrew, Aramic, and Latin text in a user-searchable resource (since almost none of you who upload modules create modules like that or even read all of those languages). Later on, maybe we'll find a spot for that type of material.

#10 dyan

dyan

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

I really like the idea of having a wiki type database.
And I agree, it could start out with just the basics required to use e-Sword, and module building, and with time, more complex and detailed ideas can be added on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users