Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

NEWS e-Sword Bible Study For Android

58 replies to this topic

#51 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 05 June 2023 - 07:05 AM

For authoritative answers to your question about HARMONY FEATURE on Android, please go to the source to discover for which versions of e-Sword the developer, Rick Meyers, supplied the harmony features.

Here is how to find out. Go to the website of Rick Meyers, who developed e-Sword for the PC. https://www.e-sword.net/ Browse down the page, and you can also see this Features section by selecting the tab FEATURES which will take you to https://www.e-sword....x.html#features

For more details on e-Sword – Bible Study for the PC, the ABOUT tab supplies the history of the development of features for e-Sword. Here you will read that in December 2006, when e-Sword 7.8 was released, a Gospel Harmony tool was provided. https://www.e-sword.net/history.html

From April 2009, with the release of e-Sword version 9.0, a completely new database architecture was implemented to supply access to the bible, commentary, dictionary, and Study Notes modules.

For e-Sword X for the Mac, select the LINKS tab, and select the required choice to e-Sword X – Bible Study for the Mac. Then page down, or select the FEATURES tab, to see that the GOSPEL HARMONY feature is provided. https://www.e-sword....ex.htm#features

For e-Sword HD for the iPad, select the LINKS tab, and select the required choice to e-Sword HD – Bible Study for the iPad. Then page down, or select the FEATURES tab, and GOSPEL HARMONY is shown as one of the features available. https://www.e-sword....ex.htm#features

For e-Sword LT for the iPhone, select the LINKS tab, and select the required choice to e-Sword LT – Bible Study for the iPhone, Then page down. Or select the FEATURES tab, and the GOSPEL HARMONY option has not been shown. https://www.e-sword....ex.htm#features

For e-Sword for Android, select the LINKS tab, then select the required choice to e-Sword Android – Bible Study for Android. Then page down, and you can also select the FEATURES tab and then notice that the GOSPEL HARMONY feature is provided. https://www.e-sword....ex.htm#features

For more details about the existing conversion facilities in the e-Sword PC Module Converter Utility, please read the FAQ entries, and if the answer to your query is not there, then contact Rick Meyers directly, on the relevant CONTACT option.

Your font is so small, I doubt that anyone can actually read it. I know that I have real difficult in reading it, mainly my Glaucoma really prevents me from reading it.

From what I can gather by what you are saying is that when it comes to what can be or can't be used on e-Sword for Droid, basically anyone with any common sense can tell you what is or what is not, or what works or what doesn't work. It seriously doesn't take much to figure it out.

For Droid phones it appears Harmonies are not available. For Droid Tablets it appears that it is available. So one has be to careful as to distinguish between phone and Tablet.

X (formerly Twitter)

#52 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 07:47 AM

I changed the size of the font in your other post by using the full editor.

#53 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 05 June 2023 - 08:04 AM

Thank you, JPG.
I have sent a query to Rick Meyers Android developers, using the appropriate Android Contact option, and requested a reply on the appropriate FAQ if the GOSPEL HARMONY feature for e-Sword for Android is restricted to certain sized screens using e-Sword for Android.
Thank you for following up, and for providing the option to specify the Font, and the size of font, when using the edit option on a previous forum entry. This will be useful to assist APsit190 and others who find the font too small to read.
I have checked, and both the new Edge browser by Microsoft, and also the Firefox browser by Mozilla, provides the Zoom facility, to enable the user to expand the view of the contents of the screen. So anyone who uses these browsers can ZOOM the size of the screen text larger, in order to read the fonts that they found to be rather small to read on the initial screen.

Rick Meyers has sent me an e-mail about the HARMONY FEATURE:
"The Harmony feature that is built into the Apple and Android apps is using the Robertson harmony and is supplied with the app itself." 2023-08-13.

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 13 August 2023 - 12:35 PM.

#54 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 08:17 AM

Ah I see. I got a reply just from Rick. The Harmony is baked into the program. So I just needed to go to Matt 24:1 and select the last view layout on the right and all is working. That was a little obscure to me.

#55 Ian Oh

Ian Oh

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 June 2023 - 11:29 PM

Ah I see. I got a reply just from Rick. The Harmony is baked into the program. So I just needed to go to Matt 24:1 and select the last view layout on the right and all is working. That was a little obscure to me.

Correct.  I know Robertson's Harmony of the Gospels is available and have used it extensively on my Android tablet.  I found it strange that I couldn't use Harmony on my phone ...  but it is an understandable problem of screen real estate as you described it.  I also know the PC has Crockett's Harmony of Samuel/Kings/Chronicles but that's not available on Android.  A very helpful work too, but I've added some omissions to his work and I am creating my own harmony of the Exo-Deu.  That's why I was hoping to be able to convert/import the HARX into Android.  Unfortunately if you have discovered it is hard-coded, that's the end of that.  Thanks for following up.  

#56 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 10:28 PM

If you use Microsoft Edge browser, then your device ought to provide you with the option to zoom the window to be able to see the text in larger fonts. Microsoft is now collaborating with Adobe, to provide Read Aloud for more operating systems when the reader is viewing a PDF file.

Olaf,

I don't use Edge because it's a hacker's dream Web Browser.

For about 20 years my pet Browser has been and is Firefox, and according to Mozilla, its way more secure than Edge. As to how true that is, well that's anyone's guess. I just like it way better than Edge or Chrome. Totally one eyed and biased. :D ^_^

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 06 June 2023 - 10:28 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#57 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 07 August 2023 - 10:51 AM

e-Sword Bible Study to Go for Android Version 1.0 was created by Rick Meyers, and this was released 2022-01-13.
Development has proceeded, and Version 6.5 update was released on 03 August 2023.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.esword.esword

There are twenty illustrations of screenprints with pre-loaded options available for the use of e-Sword on Android. These include:
BBL - Study Bible with instructions. The Reference must also be selected if you want to add this to the MEMORY option; BIBLE search; MAP - Real Maps (Laodicea); BBL - Display in Dark Mode; LEX - Strong Numbers; MEM - Scripture Memory; DEV - Daily Devotions; BRP - Bible Reading Plans; BIBLE - Composite Study view; BIBLE - Compare multiple translations; BIBLE - Parallel view of verses; BIBLE - Harmony 44. The first tour of Galilee with the four fishermen - Mat 4:23-26; Mar 1:36-39; Luk 4:42-44 [Robinson's Harmony]; LEXICON - Ancient Hebrew, Strong's # number; MAP - Biblical Location - Laodicea; BIBLE - composite view John 3:16 KJV; BIBLE - compare view 1 John 5:14 Greek NT NT+; BIBLE Parallel view in dark Mode John 3 ESV; BIBLE - Harmony 164 The first three hours on the cross - Mat 27:35-44; Mar 16:24-32; Luk 23:33-43; Joh 19:18-27 [Robinson's Harmony]; REFERENCE Dispensational Truth [Larkin 44 The Book of Revelation]; MAP - Attalia - Acts 14:25

You will see Version 6.5 notes which listed the changes that were implemented, correctly listed without smileys which are added by Bible Support postings; from https://www.e-sword.net/android/tutorial.htm Here the developer explains how to use the options provided for e-Sword on your Android device.

Instructions of how to install e-Sword on the Amazon Fire Tablet are provided on https://www.e-sword.net/android/faq.htm and the detailed instructions How to Install the Google Play Store on an Amazon Fire Tablet which was updated by How to Geek Nov 19, 2022, to include the Fire 7 2022 (12th Gen) tablet with Fire OS8.3.1.3 with updated steps. Warning Remove the microSD card if you have one inserted in the tablet. If you don't do this, it's possible you could lose data during the Play Store install process. You can put it back once we're done.

The link is https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

This process will not work with old Kindle Fire tablets as you need to enable "Apps From Unknown Sources".

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 13 August 2023 - 10:55 AM.

#58 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 06:14 PM

e-Sword Bible Study to Go for Android Version 6.5 released 2022-01-13 and updated 2023-08-03

Olaf,

e-Sword Version 6.5 was not released on the 13/01/2022. Version 1.00 was! Version 6.5 is the update, of which was released (or published) on 03/08/23.

To show how "Versioning" and updates of software (apps) is done, see examples below:

Example #1: The Project Information in Code Editor of Visual Studio:

#region Project Information
/// <summary>
/// Required standard project information
/// </summary>
/*  Project:                     e-Sword CD/DVD Installer Menu
    Purpose:                   To install e-Sword and its resources
    App File Name:         ESM64.exe
    Version:                    1.00
    Creation Date:         18th July 2007
    Revised Version:      7.00
    Revision Date:         17th July 2023
    Programmers:          Stephen Jovanovic
    Copyright:                © Stephen Jovanovic 2009 - 2023. All rights reserved*/
#endregion

Example #2: Assembly Information of the App taken from the AssembyInfo.cs file:

using System.Reflection;
using System.Runtime.CompilerServices;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;

// General Information about an assembly is controlled through the following
// set of attributes. Change these attribute values to modify the information
// associated with an assembly.
[assembly: AssemblyTitle("ESM64")]
[assembly: AssemblyDescription("")]
[assembly: AssemblyConfiguration("")]
[assembly: AssemblyCompany("")]
[assembly: AssemblyProduct("ESM64")]
[assembly: AssemblyCopyright("Copyright © 2022")]
[assembly: AssemblyTrademark("Stephen Jovanovic")]
[assembly: AssemblyCulture("")]

// Setting ComVisible to false makes the types in this assembly not visible
// to COM components.  If you need to access a type in this assembly from
// COM, set the ComVisible attribute to true on that type.
[assembly: ComVisible(false)]

// The following GUID is for the ID of the typelib if this project is exposed to COM
[assembly: Guid("491f5862-3825-46b4-b674-d3a013aa07f7")]

// Version information for an assembly consists of the following four values:
//
//      Major Version
//      Minor Version
//      Build Number
//      Revision
//
// You can specify all the values or you can default the Build and Revision Numbers
// by using the '*' as shown below:
// [assembly: AssemblyVersion("1.0.*")]
[assembly: AssemblyVersion("7.0.0.0")]
[assembly: AssemblyFileVersion("7.0.0.0")]

About 35% of the Assembly Information can be seen in the Application's Properties Dialog:

e-Sword Menu Installer Properties' Information

Attached File  ESM Properties.jpg   37.9K   6 downloads

All the information you see in Example #1 gives the historicity of the project/program. The information you see in Example #2 is auto-generated by (in this case) Visual Studio Programming IDE (Integrated Development Environment) and edited by the Programmer).

e-Sword version 6.5 (Android Edition) is the updated version, which was (as mentioned a moment ago) released (or published) on 03/08/23, and was not released, as you put it, on the 13/01/2022. That, Olaf, is both misleading and incorrect information. Sorry to have to tell you that. When it comes to information on software (apps), you need to show what the actual date is of the updated version is, and not as the original date and version of the first release of the program.

Edited by APsit190, 08 August 2023 - 06:14 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#59 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 August 2023 - 01:58 AM

Rick Meyers has sent me the following information about the HARMONY feature, as at 2023-08-13:
"The Harmony feature that is built into the Apple and Android apps is using the Robertson harmony and is supplied with the app itself."
So if you have uploaded e-Sword directly from Rick Meyer's website https://www.e-sword.net and selected the appropriate version of e-Sword from the LINKS option, then the content of the Robertson Harmony will already be available on your access to the HARMONY feature, for your version of Android.

Rick Meyers has supplied the following information about the HARMONY feature, as at 2023-08-14:
The Harmony and Parallel features are only available on tablets and Chromebooks since they have the screen size necessary to properly display these features. There is one type of phone that displays these features and it is the new "fold" type which gives a wide screen.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users