Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword 10.0.4 Released (Test Drive Version)

e-Sword 10 Reference Library

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#241 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

I'm not sure about this, but is it possible that the commentaries not showing up in e-Sword 10.0.3 have images embedded in the rtf

The common demoninator is they were all converted from TheWord software. There may be an exception or two (one or two I'm not certain about), but the rest I know came from the TheWord.

#242 dyan

dyan

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:21 PM

The common demoninator is they were all converted from TheWord software. There may be an exception or two (one or two I'm not certain about), but the rest I know came from the TheWord.

Then, it stands to reason, that the rtf may contain images, as I have previously found a few in modules converted from TheWord. It's a pity that I don't remember which ones had the images.

I wonder if that could be the reason for the modules not showing up in e-Sword 10.0.3...

#243 dyan

dyan

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

I've just checked the F.B. Hole commentary. It contains an image in the Comments of the Details Table.
It could be that most of the other modules contain images in the Details Table.

#244 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

Here's the technical issue. The 10.0.3 e-Sword isn't liking the full RTF header at the top of each record of a commentary or dictionary database. So take the the "Gaebelin_Annotated_Bible_Commentary9x.cmtx" file for example. The RTF header at the beginning of Genesis 1:1 is valid, but e-Sword 10.0.3 doesn't want to see that header there. If we remove the RTF header (pasted below), Genesis 1:1 displays fine.

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fmodern\fprq1\fcharset0 Courier New;}{\f1\fnil\fcharset0 Georgia;}}
{\colortbl ;\red0\green0\blue0;\red0\green128\blue0;}

So there's our issue. We can confirm it by manually removing the RTF header from any one record of a commentary and then viewing that verse through e-Sword.

#245 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

Dave,

You can circumvent the Reference Library and view downloaded topics in the Topics Editor. But that is not what the e-Sword developer had in mind. He wants people to use the Reference Library to view third-party (downloaded) topx files so they can use the new Reference Library features. So, that's my official position, per the specific request of Rick. And that will be reflected in the manual that I'm updating. Rick explained that the topics editor is now like the other editors--it's intended only for writing your personal topic notes in my documents\e-sword. For what little it's worth, I also agree with this, personally--we should view topx files in the Reference Library to leverage it's features.

Your suggestion about my documents\e-sword does work, technically speaking. But there's little reason for 99% of people to do that. For them, the default install file locations work fine.

Hmmm
I really don't know How I feel about this a software developer only wanting his software to be used only in the intended way and then seemingly change said program to enact that effect

I would want to know the reasons behind it some distant future plan for eSword that those using his software in the unintended way would Unavoidably lose those unintended abilities
Unavoidably =(meaning there would be no possible way to implement a new feature without breaking the unintended feature and lose that ability)

I would think a developer would be glade that his program has extra uses that said developer didn't plan for

sometimes i get the impression Rick does not want 3rd party titles used at all and sometimes I think hes all for it

if he doesn't want eSword being used to create 3rd party title he should work with Brent (cant speak for Brent just hoping) giving him everything he needs to develop an all in one module creator

as you can tell from reading this I'm conflicted and all of this maybe totally off base but I'm just going by how i understand what has been posted

some may think this post is against eSword or Rick its not I'm just trying to understand

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#246 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hmmm
I really don't know How I feel about this a software developer only wanting his software to be used only in the intended way and then seemingly change said program to enact that effect

I would want to know the reasons behind it some distant future plan for eSword that those using his software in the unintended way would Unavoidably lose those unintended abilities
Unavoidably =(meaning there would be no possible way to implement a new feature without breaking the unintended feature and lose that ability)

I would think a developer would be glade that his program has extra uses that said developer didn't plan for

sometimes i get the impression Rick does not want 3rd party titles used at all and sometimes I think hes all for it

if he doesn't want eSword being used to create 3rd party title he should work with Brent (cant speak for Brent just hoping) giving him everything he needs to develop an all in one module creator

as you can tell from reading this I'm conflicted and all of this maybe totally off base but I'm just going by how i understand what has been posted

some may think this post is against eSword or Rick its not I'm just trying to understand

Guys, the e-Sword police will not arrive at your door if you use the e-Sword Topics Editor to view topics. I promise, it will not happen. :) No one's telling you that you can't use the program in an unintended way. I'm just saying that I tell people, when they ask, to view Topx files through the Reference Library. And I do so personally. And I say that on the front page because that is the design intent.

Rick does like third party resources because he links to this site from his site! And he's bending over backwards to resolve this RTF issue that only happens in third party modules, even though it means modifying tons of code. If he didn't like third party modules, he would have just told us "oh well".

#247 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

Guys, the e-Sword police will not arrive at your door if you use the e-Sword Topics Editor to view topics. I promise, it will not happen. :) No one's telling you that you can't use the program in an unintended way. I'm just saying that I tell people, when they ask, to view Topx files through the Reference Library. And I do so personally. And I say that on the front page because that is the design intent.

Rick does like third party resources because he links to this site from his site! And he's bending over backwards to resolve this RTF issue that only happens in third party modules, even though it means modifying tons of code. If he didn't like third party modules, he would have just told us "oh well".

so I'm totally of base then ok Forgive me for my rant

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#248 dyan

dyan

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

Here's the technical issue. The 10.0.3 e-Sword isn't liking the full RTF header at the top of each record of a commentary or dictionary database. So take the the "Gaebelin_Annotated_Bible_Commentary9x.cmtx" file for example. The RTF header at the beginning of Genesis 1:1 is valid, but e-Sword 10.0.3 doesn't want to see that header there. If we remove the RTF header (pasted below), Genesis 1:1 displays fine.

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fmodern\fprq1\fcharset0 Courier New;}{\f1\fnil\fcharset0 Georgia;}}
{\colortbl ;\red0\green0\blue0;\red0\green128\blue0;}

So there's our issue. We can confirm it by manually removing the RTF header from any one record of a commentary and then viewing that verse through e-Sword.

Wow, that was fast !

A few kinks are always present in a new version of any software, specially when making major improvements, such as in e-Sword 10. Now that we know where the kink is, it's just a matter of time now that Rick will get it resolved.

I'm looking forward to the final version of e-Sword 10. Great work Rick Meyers, may the Lord Jesus Christ continue to bless you.

#249 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

Hi I was wondering is it worth downloading 10.03 since there is some issues with it?

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#250 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

Wow, that was fast !

A few kinks are always present in a new version of any software, specially when making major improvements, such as in e-Sword 10. Now that we know where the kink is, it's just a matter of time now that Rick will get it resolved.

I'm looking forward to the final version of e-Sword 10. Great work Rick Meyers, may the Lord Jesus Christ continue to bless you.

Confirmed: Rick is going to modify his code to support our third party modules. This will be particularly helpful to some Greek modules that rely on font specification in the RTF header to display greek text properly.

And to be fair, this is not a bug in e-Sword. This is the result of some modules having an RTF header for each record when e-Sword wants to use its own RTF header. We got away with this before because of an older implementation of the RTF standard. Now that the RTF control has been updated (from 2.0 to 5.0), the syntax standards tightened considerably.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: e-Sword 10, Reference Library

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users