Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Post e-Sword Module Requests Here

• Please log in to reply
523 replies to this topic

#171 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

Generally speaking, module makers make mods they are familiar with and/or agree with (except that Module Robot who'll post anything). I'm guessing we've not got many module makers who are Eastern Orthodox.

#172 WesleyanPreacher

WesleyanPreacher

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

Working on this one right now. Should have it done in a few days if nothing else comes up.

I found this copyright on Dr. Hildebrandt's website:

"Recently I have copyrighted this material (October, 2011) to avoid it being taken by someone else, modified and then locked
down. So it is copyrighted but I hereby grant anyone permission to use it in whatever form (text, graphics and audio) or fashion
you would like without changing its contents. When you use it just cite the copyright notification and you're good to go:
© DASV Bible, 2011, Ted Hildebrandt."

#173 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

I found this copyright on Dr. Hildebrandt's website:

"Recently I have copyrighted this material (October, 2011) to avoid it being taken by someone else, modified and then locked
down. So it is copyrighted but I hereby grant anyone permission to use it in whatever form (text, graphics and audio) or fashion
you would like without changing its contents. When you use it just cite the copyright notification and you're good to go:
© DASV Bible, 2011, Ted Hildebrandt."

I've finished this module through Psalms. Should be able to kick out the rest of it sometime this week (though the in-laws are coming tomorrow, so that might delay me a bit...).

#174 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

Generally speaking, module makers make mods they are familiar with and/or agree with (except that Module Robot who'll post anything). I'm guessing we've not got many module makers who are Eastern Orthodox.

I agree, but if there are any, it would make for some interesting studies.
Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#175 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

I have noticed a lack of modules from the Eastern Tradition

There are some --- maybe as many as fifty --- resources. The majority of them are not in English.

All of the good material is either under copyright, or else is written in a language other than English.

About eight years ago, a project to construct good Orthodox Christian materials was started. For various reasons, that project fizzeled out.

My short list of Orthodox resources that are not legally available in e-Sword format is:
* The Philokalia. (Six volumes);
* The Way of the Pilgrim;
* The Further travels of the Pilgrim;

###

Note added 20120623
I changed "other than Greek" to "Other than English".
My estimate is that between a third and a half of the good material on Orthodox Christainity is written in Greek.

jonathon

Edited by jonathon, 23 June 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#176 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:48 AM

There are some --- maybe as many as fifty --- resources. The majority of them are not in English.

All of the good material is either under copyright, or else is written in a language other than Greek.

About eight years ago, a project to construct good Orthodox Christian materials was started. For various reasons, that project fizzeled out.

My short list of Orthodox resources that are not legally available in e-Sword format is:
* The Philokalia. (Six volumes);
* The Way of the Pilgrim;
* The Further travels of the Pilgrim;

jonathon

My Greek is very limited (in fact unless it is English, I doubt if i could make out one word in 100 no matter the language) and I try to limit my library to modules that I can obtain legally. I guess I shall have to postpone studying the scriptures from the Eastern Tradition's perspective. Pity.

Edited by Baunllaw, 19 June 2012 - 04:49 AM.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#177 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:37 AM

Now if only someone would provide a corrected volume four of the Post-Nicene Fathers. What is currently listed as such, is in reality volume four of the Ante-Nicene Fathers.

~heavy sigh~

Ebed

Is this the volume that is missing

http://books.google....XlZ8voC&f=false

PDF is most likely something you didn't want to hear but if it is the correct volume maybe someone will take up the project

Edited by DSaw, 19 June 2012 - 06:47 AM.

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#178 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

I shall have to postpone studying the scriptures from the Eastern Tradition's perspective.

Historically, Orthodox Christianity has discouraged the laity from reading the Bible, unless there was a cleric to instruct them in how to interprete what was read.

Instead, the laity has been encouraged to say the Jesus Prayer, and read material such as the Philolakia.

The Orthodox Christian experience is far more mystical than that offered by Catholic, Confesional, or Reformed Christianity.

jonathon

#179 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

Now if only someone would provide a corrected volume four of the Post-Nicene Fathers. What is currently listed as such, is in reality volume four of the Ante-Nicene Fathers.

It is amazing how errors migrate around the web. That specific resource was accidently uploaded during the beta testing of that set, and escaped into the wild.

If I still have the corrected version, I'll upload it here. (I lost at least 1.5 TB of e-Sword resources, as a result of back up drives failing on me, when I switched to Snow Linux 2.0.)

jonathon

#180 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

Is this the volume that is missing

http://books.google....XlZ8voC&f=false

PDF is most likely something you didn't want to hear but if it is the correct volume maybe someone will take up the project

With one caveat, that appears to be the one.

The caveat is that I just got out of hospital and I am truly not feeling all that spry.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users