Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Is there a Greek OT (LXX) in English Module for E-Sword?

8 replies to this topic

#1 RTB

RTB

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 09:18 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am busy studying Romans and Paul quotes a lot from the LXX. The English translations of the Hebrew OT can be be quite different.

Is there at least one bible module that has the Greek OT (any version) in English so I can perform searches etc on it and also read to see that it is correct with the Romans English translation.

Much appreciated any feedback.

I have PDF English versions of the LXX.

#2 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 09:38 AM

There is a Brenton's English Septuagint, that is available from within the e-Sword Module Downloader.

#3 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 10:27 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am busy studying Romans and Paul quotes a lot from the LXX. The English translations of the Hebrew OT can be be quite different.

Is there at least one bible module that has the Greek OT (any version) in English so I can perform searches etc on it and also read to see that it is correct with the Romans English translation.

Much appreciated any feedback.

I have PDF English versions of the LXX.

While my translation use mostly the Hebrew OT are the quotes harmonized on the LXX translations and NT interpretations.

I marked word with red if they follow or render the NT interpretation and added cross references.

If you search with Regular Expressions (REXGEX) and type <red>

Can you see all the verses with the marked words.

For example "top of his staff" or "head of his bed" in Gen 47:31 that is quoted in Heb 11:21 are the same words in Hebrew but the vowel points change the interpretation.

"head" and "top" is the same word in Hebrew.

mittah=bed H4296

matteh=staff H4294

The only difference are the vowels in Hebrew that are added for the interpretation.

So I follow here the NT and LXX interpretation.

Edited by Katoog, 27 September 2023 - 10:44 AM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#4 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 08:28 PM

In addition to the Bible modules previously mentioned, you could also check out the ABP+ (Apostolic Bible Polyglot with Strong's numbers) that is also available within the e-Sword module downloader, if being interrupted by Strong's numbers (and Charles Van der Pool's extended Strong's numbers) is not going to be an issue for you.

ElderB

#5 gad4

gad4

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 07:20 PM

The question you raise is valid.

To make such a correlation, first you need to go back to the greek nt. Then you need the lxx that matches the lxx the Apostles used. This may not exist.

While later, the Oregons hexepla correlated several greek new Testament that existed at that time. Just as we have numerous English Bible translations that exist today

While closer to the source there may have been more than one greek ot at the time of jesus.

We are fortunate that the ot is preserved through the masoretic text and septugant helping us understand it from that time. But we may not have a word for word match septuagant in all cases

#6 渴慕天家

渴慕天家

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 06:39 PM

我有mysword里面的英文LXX,和带有希腊文的资料

#7 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 05:05 PM

In 1808, Charles Thomson's English translation of the Old Testament from the Septuagint was published.  Charles Thomson did not include the Apocrypha in his translation. He also translated the New Testament.  Bible modules of this work are available here at:

http://www.biblesupp...le-translation/

ElderB

Edited by ElderB, 01 October 2023 - 05:05 PM.

#8 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 13 November 2023 - 09:46 PM

Translation of the comment from Chinese Simplified into English, using https://www.bing.com/Translator

posted by 渴慕天家 > kěmù tiān jiā > Longing for heaven , 30 September - 02:39 PM.

> wǒyǒu mysword lǐmiàn de yīngwén LXX, hé dàiyǒu xīlà wénde zīliào
> I have the English LXX in mysword, and the material in Greek

REQUEST. PLEASE create a BibleSupport username using Latin letters, and please write your message in English words, for this Website.

请求。请使用拉丁字母创建一个BibleSupport用户名,并用英文单词为本网站写下您的信息。
qǐngqiú。qǐng shǐyòng lādīngzìmǔ chuàngjiàn yígè BibleSupportyònghùmíng, bìngyòng yīngwén dāncí wéiběn wǎngzhàn xiěxià nínde xìnxī。

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 13 November 2023 - 09:50 PM.

#9 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 13 November 2023 - 10:35 PM

e-Sword for Windows in the "Download" option. Browse down to the Greek section. Similar options are available for other versions of e-Sword X for Mac, e-Sword HD for iPad, e-Sword LT for iPhone, and for e-Sword for Android.

Here you will find that Rick Meyers, the developer of e-Sword has provided official copies for your version of e-Sword:

Greek ABP+     Greek Apostolic Bible Polyglot w/ Strong's Numbers          Copyright © 1996 by Charles Van der Pool. All rights reserved. Used with permission.

Greek NT           Greek New Testament              Published in 1904; public domain.

Greek NT BYZ+              Greek New Testament (Byzantine) w/ Strong’s Numbers  Copyright © 2005-2010 by Maurice A. Robinson and William G Pierpont. All rights reserved. Used with permission.

Greek NT INT+               Greek New Testament (Interlinear) w/ Strong’s Numbers Copyright © 2005-2010 by Maurice A. Robinson and William G Pierpont. All rights reserved. Used with permission.

Greek NT TR    Greek New Testament (Textus Receptus)    Published in 1894; public domain.

Greek NT TR+ Greek New Testament (Textus Receptus) w/ Strong’s Numbers    Derivative Work; Copyright © 2005-2010 by Maurice A. Robinson. All rights reserved. Used with permission.

Greek NT WH+              Greek New Testament (Westcott-Hort) w/ Strong’s Numbers  Derivative Work; Copyright © 2005-2010 by Maurice A. Robinson. All rights reserved. Used with permission.

Greek OT           Greek Old Testament (Septuagint)   Published in 1935; public domain.

Greek OT+        Greek Old Testament (Septuagint) w/ Strong’s Numbers                 Derivative work; public domain.

Greek TCM NT               Text-Critical Greek Majority Text (New Testament)                Copyright © 2022 by Wycliffe Bible Translators, Inc., All rights reserved. Used with permission.

If you browse down to the English Free section you will find many good and well known translations from Hebrew and Greek into English, including Brenton Brenton's English Septuagint, published in 1851; public domain. and the TCENT Text-Critical English New Testament, Copyright © 2022 by Robert Adam Boyd, All rights reserved. Used with permission. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users