Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

ESV+ Module

4 replies to this topic

#1 barbarab

barbarab

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 04:28 PM

Hello to all, I'm new to the forum and a relatively new user of e-sword so please excuse me if this topic has been discussed.

I installed the ESV+ module and I now have ESV with references. The problem is that I'm not sure what to do with them.

The text references are formatted as "R" numbers or "N" numbers. If I hover my mouse over one of these numbers, a tool tip is displayed that shows what looks like a hyperlink to the actual reference. As far as I can see, they are the actual references that are in my bound ESV bible. However, moving the mouse to try to get to a link is impossible because as soon as the mouse moves, the tool tip disappears. Right clicking on the "R" number just gives me a general ability to search and produces nothing useful to the reference.

Does anyone have this resource and know how to actually see the relevant reference?

Hoping it's something quick and easy that I've missed, thanks for any help.

Here's an example of a verse:

Mat 10:8  R5 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, N1 cast out demons. R6 You received without paying; give without pay.

#2 Starkman

Starkman

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:11 PM

I have the same issue, Barbara.

The best I can offer at this moment is to do this:

If there is a reference for a verse, first highlight the verse with the reference (let's say, Gen 1:9, which has R7 right after the third word).

Once the verse is highlighted, look over to the right (assuming you have the default setup), and you'll see 10 skinny scrolls at the end of the Bible window: 1 is at top, 0 (for 10) is at the bottom. These are for bookmarking.

So with Gen 1:9 highlighted, right-click the first scroll; that sets the bookmark to Gen 1:9.

Now you can hover over R7 and note the  reference and go to it. To quickly get back to Gen 1:9 so you can look at the next reference, just regular click your first scroll.

(To set the first scroll to another verse down the road, just do the same thing: get to the verse, highlight it, right-click the scroll.)

That's about the best I can think of at the moment. EVS+ is just one of those weird things, I guess.

Hope that helps.

There's one, and only one, reason to serve God: because He's God.

#3 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:36 AM

Really after all the development work on e-Sword it should show xrefs as a popup as do other Bible software programs. 

However it is what it is......

A workaround of sorts is to have Study Notes open. Select the verse in the Bible view that has the R note on it so it is synced with your Study Notes, for that verse.

Now hover the R link. When the popup appears press F4. This will copy the content of that popup to the clipboard. Now you can move over to your Study Notes and paste in the content of that popup. In most cases you will be able to hover the verse and you will get a popup. As long as you remember to only select popups from the current active verse and paste into a Study Note, you will have the R data there for future reference.

Jon

#4 barbarab101

barbarab101

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:51 AM

Thank you for the suggestions....I'll keep noodling around and see what happens. This totally defeats the idea of going electronic when a bound bible is needed. Maybe in time.....

#5 Starkman

Starkman

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:58 AM

Jon,

Yeah, I forgot about using F4. Good tip.

Barbara,

Actually, the F4 trick does what you want, if you have the Editor panel opened. As soon as you press F4 over the reference, you just click in the Editor and right-click > Paste or Ctrl+4.

From there you can hover over a verse and click it to get the Bible panel to go where you want to. It's an extra step, but it works.

Personally, I don't use Study Notes - I keep all my notes in LibreOffice docs, so erase anything I do there anyway. But it works.

If worse comes to shove, you can yell at the computer in Swedish Chef style. It doesn't do anything but you feel better! :) 

There's one, and only one, reason to serve God: because He's God.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users