Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

An e-Sword Magazine, what do you think?

25 replies to this topic

#21 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:19 PM

How risk adverse are you?

jonathon

Honestly, with all respect, this is the strangest question I have ever seen on any Christian website. Why?

Right now, today, I have brothers and sisters in Pakistan, Iraq, India, Indonesia, America, Canada, England and elsewhere who are suffering and actually dying for following after Christ and his redeeming sacrifice. In many instances they are actually breaking the local laws by evangelizing their fellow countrymen. Their reward? Death, imprisonment, torture, poverty, affliction... Should they stop? Why not ask these saints the same question? China, after it's love affair with Mao, has a vibrant Bride that can answer your question emphatically. I thought we were working for eternity, for the encouragement of the Saints, the perfecting of the Body, the Glory of God? If not, I'm in the wrong place.

Does the same principle apply, the question of "Risk Aversion"? Yes, I think it does - likewise I believe the same answer applies. Exactly why do you think so many people are busy making eSword modules: to show off their computer skills, how well they can proof-read a horribly formatted text, no other way to use their time? That comment about "Risk Aversion" I find really confusing. Let the heathen rage - let God laugh; you know the principle.

When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted. -- Psalms 138:3 NIV84

http://www.biblesupport.com/blog/15/entry-36-peace-circumstances/

#22 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:13 PM

It is really sad that we are even having this discussion on a Christian message board.

It is a tragedy that Christians, including Christian publishers feel like they have to live by the principles of this world. I praise God for the authors who choose to make their content freely available in the internet or through other electronic means. I praise God for Rick, Costas, Tim, the MySword developers and others who spend countless hours writing code that is available freely for all to use. I do not mind when people charge for content if that is what they choose to do.

We all have different opinions about copyright laws and how carefully we should obey them as Christians. Some will call any violation of copyright laws stealing, even if it is giving out the Word of God to someone who cannot afford it. Others would say that there are some things that are more important than the laws of man. Whatever your opinion is on this issue, it is also wrong to sue another brother or sister in Christ, even when you feel you are wronged.

If I was Rick, I would be not be happy with anyone claiming that I would sue another Christian over the issue discussed above or anything else for that matter. I do not know or care what has happened in the past. We all have faults. We are all being changed. It is wrong to assume these things about anyone.

I think maybe we should consider getting this discussion back on topic. I think it was about the idea of an e-Sword magazine.

#23 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:05 PM

It is really sad that we are even having this discussion on a Christian message board.

It is a tragedy that Christians, including Christian publishers feel like they have to live by the principles of this world. I praise God for the authors who choose to make their content freely available in the internet or through other electronic means. I praise God for Rick, Costas, Tim, the MySword developers and others who spend countless hours writing code that is available freely for all to use. I do not mind when people charge for content if that is what they choose to do.

We all have different opinions about copyright laws and how carefully we should obey them as Christians. Some will call any violation of copyright laws stealing, even if it is giving out the Word of God to someone who cannot afford it. Others would say that there are some things that are more important than the laws of man. Whatever your opinion is on this issue, it is also wrong to sue another brother or sister in Christ, even when you feel you are wronged.

If I was Rick, I would be not be happy with anyone claiming that I would sue another Christian over the issue discussed above or anything else for that matter. I do not know or care what has happened in the past. We all have faults. We are all being changed. It is wrong to assume these things about anyone.

I think maybe we should consider getting this discussion back on topic. I think it was about the idea of an e-Sword magazine.

Right now I'm listening to a YouTube video of "The Canadian Tenors" singing 'Hallelujah' - totally tugs on my heart. Back on track? OK. I'm just weary of all the 'parsers' and 'gainsayers'. It's a good thing to encourage the brethren to be bold for Jesus Christ! Publish the magazine and let God decide.

:) Are you familiar with the Azuza Street Revival, about 100 years ago? One of Brother Seymours principle tasks were to throw out the people who wanted to divert the move of God at that time. I know, some don't call it a move of God - while they sing Pentecostal anthems every Sunday at church. Oh well, God knows. Likewise, during the Welsh Revival the jails were emptied, or the Ethiopian move of God in the 1930s as the Messerschmitt's were screaming out of the sky - God will have a people after His own name!

Therefore the redeemed of the LORD shall return, and come with singing unto Zion; and everlasting joy shall be upon their head: they shall obtain gladness and joy; and sorrow and mourning shall flee away. I, even I, am he that comforteth you: who art thou, that thou shouldest be afraid of a man that shall die, and of the son of man which shall be made as grass; -- Isaiah 51:11-12 KJV

#24 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:04 AM

I think it was about the idea of an e-Sword magazine.

Yeah, back to the magazine: if anyone needs any technical assistance with starting up an e-Sword magazine, don't hesitate to ask.

#25 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:37 PM

Under your view, dos for dummies would be illegal i

Are your comprehension skills so poor that you did not understand what I wrote, or did you wilfully and maliciously and deliberately choose to misunderstand what I wrote. From where I'm sitting, the only logical, and rational conclusion is that you deliberately and wilfully chose chose to misrepresent what I wrote, so that you could carry out yet another personal attack on me.

jonathon

#26 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:13 PM

A magazine about esword would not be trademark or copyright infringement anymore than a magazine about Microsoft Windows would be. Or a blog about Photoshop. Or a magazine about Macintosh. Or a blog about Photoshop. You cant control what books or magazines others write about your product (or real estate or service, etc) unless the content is libelous, malicious, intended to harass, confusion on the content's origin (ex: trademark), etc.

Logos was just one out of a million examples i could use. It doesn't matter if they are concerned or not, they cannot legally stop it anymore than Microsoft can stop a magazine about Windows.

All,
This is a populist type view, but in many ways its inaccurate. Reviews in magazines and etc,, and technical books such as tutorials and etc for educational purposes are normally sort of exempt, but some form of protocol of ethical standard is agreed on. This said, third party magazines and periodicals dedicated to a specific software is totally another question, and here I believe some form of agreement and permission to have such a thing need to be given. I tend to think this has everything to do with being considerate to the owner of the work. I'm not an expert in this field by any stretch of the imagination and I'm really venturing in uncharted waters.

As a matter of respect, and that of honouring and esteeming a brother above myself (Php 2:3, 29b), that as a matter of coarse I will be asking for "permission" from Rick Meyers.

With respect to Jonathon Blake, I do not regard what he has written on this topic as being restrictive, but as valid to help to ensure what anyone wishing to do in relation to e-Sword is both legal and ethical.

There is a case in point which actually confirms what Jonathon actually speaks about. The author of the MEd (Module Editor) had also written another program which could do something about pass wording e-Sword Modules. After receiving a letter from Rick Meyers warning him that this program was breaching e-Sword's copyright, this person had to take this program down from his website. This was in the days of e-Sword 6x or 7x.

So, Jonathon does know what he is talking about, and as much as you may not like what he has written and you may not agree, it is worthwhile noting it.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users