Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Does e-Sword for PC support traditional interlinear view?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:19 AM

Hi
Eliran 

My offer to convert Gesenius if its keyed to strong's is still open
Even if your file is marked up for mysword or mac I can use your strong's numbers keyed to the Hebrew and the file I was originally working on to create the eSword version 

DSaw

Hi DSaw,

Thank you for your message.

Below is my considerations:
- The purpose of creating Gesenius lexicon is to lookup words in Hebrew bible. I think the Gesenius lexicon in BHSE project had archived its purpose already.
- The Gesenius in its current form was created to lookup every word or every part of word in the text of BHS.
- Due to limitations of Strong's number system itself, some part of Hebrew words of prepositions do not have a proper Stron's numbers at all. therefore, it seems a DOWNgrading of current Gesenius lexicon, if mapping them to Strong's numbers. I am thinking what is the point of reworking the Gesenius to downgrade its usage.
- even official e-Sword BDB Stong's number module does not give definitions of all words. that's why I created another BDB lexicon in BHSE project, to cover all words. that's why I am still thinking why I need to do a reverse process for Gesenius.
- to key map the current Gesenius lexicon with Strong's numbers, I have roughly 1775 more entries have to check through. I am thinking is it worthy to spend this extra time to downgrade the lexicon.
- I had painstakingly finished key-mapping Strong's numbers to HALOT. however, my experience of using Gesenius in its current form is even better than using Strong's numbered HALOT, because of limitations of Strong's number system for Hebrew text. that's why I finally rework HALOT in same form as current Gesenius to work in BHSE.

Therefore, I put higher priority to settle the whole BHSE collection first. I think it is more meaningful. I will only consider rework kepmapping Gesenius lexicon after this one.

Thanks for your offer, anyway.

Peace
Eliran

#42 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:16 AM

Hi

Eliran

strong's numbering is limited by the author of the particular lexicon each word in the OLD testament has an assigned strong's number if that number covers 2 or more different words then there should be a definition for each word under that number 

what I'm trying to say is if Gesenius has it own numbering system Gesenius will only work with your set and if any numbering system other then H#### it will not popup or search lexicon automatically (which has already been discussed)

the best thing would be to have the definitions under the actual Hebrew word but eSword is not setup that way

I hope that when Rick re-wrights eSword all these issues will go away

DSaw

Red added

and to clarify by author I mean of the original work 

Edited by DSaw, 08 June 2016 - 07:35 AM.

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#43 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:50 AM

the best thing would be to have the definitions under the actual Hebrew word but eSword is not setup that way

I hope that when Rick re-wrights eSword all these issues will go away

DSaw

The strength of Strong's number system is its unified entries across different lexicons. Even direct lookup under Hebrew words, program writer still have to deal with different entries of different lexicons. I think some softwares, like Logos, had done a lot of groundwork to cross-match different lexicon entries. I think that's why many, if not all, free bible softwares depends on Strong's no. system heavily, if not too heavily. Some resources try to sort this out by assigning extra Strong's numbers to those prepositions and Hebrew words outside of Strong's numbers system. We can do this way, but the problem stays the same in the way that only specially made bible modules would fit. For example, if I add H9001 for preposition, "בְּ", we still need a specific set of bible modules, which has the tags of this extra Strong's no. So, the result would be the same. The currect Gesesius only work for BHSE. If I build a Strong's numbered Gesenius and add extra Strong's no., I still need a specific set of bible modules to get it work. Though the current Gesenius lexicon only work with BHSE, to me it is good enough because BHSE use the text of BHS. In addition, OSHB had recently updated their database and I don't see any e-Sword Hebrew bible modules updated accordingly, may be we can consider to cover the text of WLC as well later.

#44 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:20 PM

Hi Eliran, ...just click here for the RTF specification, and you can download the pdf version.

Blessings,

I had tried \mf and \msSubSup to create effect like traditional interlinear, but it seems e-Sword PC does not recognize these codes. may be I did the codings wrongly. any tips?

thanks.

Blessings,
Eliran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users