Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Does e-Sword for PC support traditional interlinear view?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:49 PM

... *IF* that word is found in that dictionary (Strong's by default), then a tool-tip pop-up occurs displaying the dictionary entry.

For those of us creating modules, Strong's number style text (H999 & G999) is the only available "trigger" for for pop-ups in e-Sword.

Now for another "built-in" feature of e-Sword. If you click on "ANY" word in e-Sword, "AND" that word is in any of your active dictionaries, a indicator displays on the dictionaries tab. In my example I had the short little dictionary I threw together active and open below the commentary window. I made entries in the dictionary, making the "Word" the Morph text, i.e. "N-AM-P". So, when I click on that word "N-AM-P", I am just using a Built-in function of e-Sword. I did not have to "tag" anything. ...

More later.....
Roy

Hi Roy,

Thanks so much for your sharing. I now have more understanding on how e-Sword PC work. My experience of PC e-Sword was at least 8 years ago. e-Sword for Mac work similarly, though may not as fully developed as e-Sword PC, which has a much longer history.

... may be I also share how Mac e-Sword work ... (of course, not official) ...

In e-Sword for Mac, there are four ways to trigger tooltip,
1) tagging <ref></ref>, e.g. <ref>Gen 1:1</ref>, obviously for bible verse popup.
2) tagging <num></num>, e.g. <num>H7225</num>, obviously for Strong no. , but not as flexible in PC, adding custom entries in Strong's dictionary does not work, only particular format like (G|H)[0-9]+? works.
3) tagging <tvm></tvm>, e.g. <tvm>N-NSF</tvm>, for lookupRMAC, but only those entries match catwords in RMAC work. I tried few other custom entries work, but most others do not work. just cannot guess the pattern, but at least not random.
4) tagging <not></not>, this is the most free one, accepting any words put inside this pair of tags, as long as one specify the same entries in table "Notes" within the bible file. This one seems to be ideal to do many thing. HOWEVER, the popup does not work after certain tagging like <h1>, <br>, <div>. As I use <div> to achieve traditional interlinear, these tagging become useless in those modules.

Corresponding to lookup function of "ANY" word you mentioned, right click a word in Mac and select "Define" (or long-tap a word in iOS and select "lookup") will do. yes, one more step in Mac, rather than a simple single click in PC. It seems that this is the best way to direct information of a particular word in PC e-Sword. I will think more on this. thanks.

Blessings,
Eliran

Edited by Eliran Wong, 05 June 2016 - 05:04 PM.

#32 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:50 PM

Hi

have you given any thought to non traditional i.e. a horizontal Interlinear

see screen shot 

attachicon.gifhorizontal interlinear.png

DSaw

Hi DSaw,

I had thought about this possibility at the beginning, but will do it only as last option if no other options work, coz alignment in this layout may not be nice ... but if no other options work ... this may be one of compromised solutions in e-Sword for PC.  thanks for input.  

Blessings,

Eliran

Edited by Eliran Wong, 05 June 2016 - 04:50 PM.

#33 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

Hi Roy,

2) tagging <num></num>, e.g. <num>H7225</num>, obviously for Strong no. , but not as flexible in PC, adding custom entries in Strong's dictionary does not work, only particular format like (G|H)[0-9]+? works.

Blessings,
Eliran

Thank you Eliran for the tagging information.

I have looked inside of a module meant for the iPad only briefly. Mostly checking out the file / table structures.

I did, very briefly, look at the data for a Bibles text, but did not study the formatting/tagging coding.

Concerning the custom entries for the Strong's numbers.

Those custom entries still use the same format. What makes them custom is that they are outside the normal range a Strong's number uses.

Hebrew numbers stop at H8674, so you might elect to use numbers starting with H8675 and go forward from there. Likewise, Greek Strong's numbers stop at G5624, so you could start with G5625 and go forward.

This allows you to still use the normal Strong's numbers as they were meant to be used, and still add new numbers for some other use. As I stated in an earlier post however, using something that "looks like" a Strong's number for something else can lead to confusion.

An example of a module that takes advantage of this is here; http://www.biblesupp...one-dictionary/

There are those who thing think that this is not a very good module, I do not speak to that. I only mention it as an example of someone using Strong's numbers in this fashion.

Anyway.... Thank you

Roy

Edited by Roy, 06 June 2016 - 07:38 PM.

#34 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

. As I stated in an earlier post however, using something that "looks like" a Strong's number for something else can lead to confusion.

Roy

agree

#35 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:14 PM

Hi Eliran,

The difference between the resources for e-Sword for Apple (iOS and OS X) and e-Sword for Windows are:

• e-Sword for Apple - There the resources use HTML (HyperText Markup Language)
  • e-Sword for Windows - There the resources use RTF (Rich Text Formatting) code.

I think, or its my belief is that RTF is limited in its uses, as where one can do much more with HTML. The reason for this is that RTF is not a programming language, as where HTML is, and therefore is far more versatile formatting management.

I don't have documentation for the specification of HTML, and with that you may have to do a bit of research for yourself on that. However, just click here for the RTF specification, and you can download the pdf version.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#36 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:32 PM

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the file, very helpful. May I have a quick question about PC e-Sword module? Do I need to convert all Hebrew words in RTF code for PC e-Sword to recognize? I remember many years ago when I did non-English modules, I had to convert the text for proper display of the text. I am not sure if the current PC e-Sword still need to do so. Does the program display Hebrew text properly if I put unicode directly?

#37 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:19 PM

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the file, very helpful. May I have a quick question about PC e-Sword module? Do I need to convert all Hebrew words in RTF code for PC e-Sword to recognize? I remember many years ago when I did non-English modules, I had to convert the text for proper display of the text. I am not sure if the current PC e-Sword still need to do so. Does the program display Hebrew text properly if I put unicode directly?

Tooltip NT has a feature called Hebrew Unicode fix up which automatically sets Hebrew text correctly there are also fix up tools for Greek and Cyrillic text included in Tooltip NT 

#38 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:12 PM

Hi Stephen,

Tooltip NT has a feature called Hebrew Unicode fix up which automatically sets Hebrew text correctly there are also fix up tools for Greek and Cyrillic text included in Tooltip NT 

To both of you great and fantastic Dudes,

If you want to explore the work of RTF coding for Hebrew and Greek, well I can even help with that too. Below are links to where you can download these resources, which I trust you will find very helpful.

I trust that these documents will prove helpful to you.

OK, just a quick note in regards to non Roman text, in particular to Hebrew and Greek Languages.

When just copying and pasting either Hebrew or Greek into T4, and/or any of e-Sword's Note editors, and saved, they are automatically saved into their respective RTF values.

Try this as an experiment: Open MS WordPad (found in the Windows Accessory folder) and copy and paste some Hebrew and Greek text into it. Save the document as an RTF file and exit MS WordPad. Now, here comes the next part: Open any Text Editor, e.g., NotePad, Programmers Note Pad, or NotePad++, and then open that saved rtf file in it. There you see what the rtf coding is for the Greek and Hebrew text. Alternatively, if you have SQLite Manager, or Browser, you can open a Hebrew or Greek Bible in it (as long as its not secured) and there you can view the rtf code for all of the Greek or Hebrew text.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#39 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:23 AM

Hi Stephen and Roy,

Thanks a lot for help and continuous input. It seems that it is much easier to have a PC with tooltip NT installed to do non-English PC e-Sword modules. I did use "WordPad" many years ago to create non-English modules for PC e-Sword. but now I dont even have a Windows computer to build or even test. I know I can also do RTF in Mac, but I dont have PC to test the PC modules, and I am not good at RTF.

regarding BHSE project, as you may already read the others' requests for PC version at http://www.biblesupp...-pc/#entry27903 As both of you are very experienced developers in PC e-Sweord, I wonder if at least one of you are interested to do the conversion from Mac e-Sword to PC e-Sword modules.

Basically, I had fixed (but had not uploaded yet) all errors found in the beta version at http://www.biblesupp...emaciphoneipad/
I had also created Gesenius and a BDB especially to be linked with BHSE bible modules. I also created a commentary, which include all parsing and dictionary links. therefore, it will work for PC users even PC e-Sword doesn't support traditional interlinear.

I think I could finalize all Mac files by the end of this week. If any of you are willing to help, I can give all spreadsheets or database you may need. After you finish, you may freely upload the collection under your name.

Looking forward to your help. Many thanks in advance.

Peace
Eliran

Edited by Eliran Wong, 07 June 2016 - 02:24 AM.

#40 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:17 PM

Hi

Eliran 

My offer to convert Gesenius if its keyed to strong's is still open

Even if your file is marked up for mysword or mac I can use your strong's numbers keyed to the Hebrew and the file I was originally working on to create the eSword version 

DSaw

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users