Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

How add my own Bible book abbreviations to NT list

34 replies to this topic

#11 bookworm1711

bookworm1711

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:42 AM

Thank you, Tj Higgins. Your explanations and directions should be complete enough for me to try this morning.

I have now tried what you suggest, but all I get is a blank window when I go back to "Edit external list."

Here is what I think I did so far:

(1) I clicked on "Scripture" to access the dropdown menu.

(2) I hovered mouse pointer over "Abbreviation List"

(3) I clicked on "Copy Internal List to External"

(4) That opened to a save path:  This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) > e-Sword > CCRT

(5) I changed the file name "Abbr*.txt" to "MyAbbr.txt" and clicked "Save."

(6) I went back and again clicked on "Scripture," hovered over "Abbreviation List," and clicked on "Edit External List" which again brings up a blank window.

Apparently the "internal list" does not get copied to any "external list" when I do the steps indicated above.

I hope my description of what I did is complete enough for anyone who knows how it should work to see what I did wrong.

Edited by bookworm1711, 14 March 2016 - 10:05 AM.

#12 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:46 AM

Thank you, Tj Higgins. Your explanations and directions should be complete enough for me to try this morning.

I have now tried what you suggest, but all I get is a blank window when I go back to "Edit external list."

Here is what I think I did so far:

(1) I clicked on "Scripture" to access the dropdown menu.

(2) I hovered mouse pointer over "Abbreviation List"

(3) I clicked on "Copy Internal List to External"

(4) That opened to a save path:  This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) > e-Sword > CCRT

(5) I changed the file name "Abbr*.txt" to "MyAbbr.txt" and clicked "Save."

(6) I went back and again clicked on "Scripture," hovered over "Abbreviation List," and clicked on "Edit External List" which again brings up a blank window.

Apparently the "internal list" does not get copied to any "external list" when I do the steps indicated above.

I hope my description of what I did is complete enough for anyone who knows how it should work to see what I did wrong.

You saved it to the wrong location the abbreviation files needs to be saved to the Esword Tooltip NT folder in your My documents folder. This is the folder that Tooltip uses for the abbreviation lists. The reason the list window is coming up empty or blank is because Tooltip is not finding it where it knows to look.

This is the correct path to use to create the abbreviations list:

This PC > Local Disk (C:) >Documents > e-Sword ToolTip NT > MyAbbr.txt

The abbreviation lists do not become part of your module's file, the lists simply allow Tooltip to process your module's abbreviations correctly.

#13 bookworm1711

bookworm1711

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:07 AM

Thank you again, Tj Higgins.

Even before I follow your new directions, here is a new question for you which if it can be answered, would eliminate all my Scripture formatting problems at one shot, hopefully.

BH back in 2010 created for me a TSK4 program. In that program he made use of my abbreviations in the file as follows:

[but of course, this site won't allow "copy and paste" so I can't show you what it is].

But in any case, when I copy and paste that text of abbreviations (it contains mine interspersed with all the other ones that are in the "Default List") into the blank window, it did not save.

But now, with your helpful directions, I'll try again and let you know if it works.

[I tried attaching my "3-14-16 My Abbreviations from TSK4.docx" file, but received the notice "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file."]

#14 bookworm1711

bookworm1711

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:11 PM

When I followed your directions, as best I could, nothing seems to have happened.

Since I cannot upload files, and I cannot use "copy and paste" in any form, I will transcribe what I see of the "myabbr.txt" file for Genesis as I copied it right from the T4SK program BH created back in 2010:

;e-Sword ToolTip Tool Abbreviation List

1-GENESIS

1-GEN

1-GE

2-EXODUS

2-EXOD

2-EXO

2-EX

3-LEVITICUS

3-LEV

3-LV

3-LE

4-NUMBERS

4-NUM

4-NM

4-NU

5-DEUTERONOMY

5-DEUT

5-DEU

5-DE

5-DT

6-JOSHUA

6-JOSH

6-JOS

6-JSH

7-JUDGES

7-JUDGE

7-JUDG

7-JDG

7-JG

8-RUTH

8-RUT

8-RTH

8-RT

8-RU

9-I SAMUEL

9-1 SAMUEL

9-1ST SAMUEL

9-1SAMUEL

9-FIRST SAMUEL

9-I SAM

9-1 SAM

9-1ST SAM

9-1SAM

9-FIRST SAM

9-I SA

9-1 SA

9-1ST SA

9-1SA

9-FIRST SA

9-I SM

9-1 SM

9-1ST SM

9-1SM

9-FIRST SM

9-1 S

----------------------------

It turns out that the last abbreviation given for each book is mine.

But I still have not been able to enter this alternate list of abbreviations into the NT program, far as I can tell.

My e-Sword T4SK program works fine to do the tooltipping, but it undoes all the boldface and italic formatting, so I can't use it for this project, since I need to retain that formatting.

Now, if I could only get the abbreviation list used in the T4SK program into the NT program, I'd be all set for tooltipping, almost.

#15 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:35 PM

When I followed your directions, as best I could, nothing seems to have happened.

Since I cannot upload files, and I cannot use "copy and paste" in any form, I will transcribe what I see of the "myabbr.txt" file for Genesis as I copied it right from the T4SK program BH created back in 2010:

;e-Sword ToolTip Tool Abbreviation List

1-GENESIS

1-GEN

1-GE

2-EXODUS

2-EXOD

2-EXO

2-EX

3-LEVITICUS

3-LEV

3-LV

3-LE

4-NUMBERS

4-NUM

4-NM

4-NU

5-DEUTERONOMY

5-DEUT

5-DEU

5-DE

5-DT

6-JOSHUA

6-JOSH

6-JOS

6-JSH

7-JUDGES

7-JUDGE

7-JUDG

7-JDG

7-JG

8-RUTH

8-RUT

8-RTH

8-RT

8-RU

9-I SAMUEL

9-1 SAMUEL

9-1ST SAMUEL

9-1SAMUEL

9-FIRST SAMUEL

9-I SAM

9-1 SAM

9-1ST SAM

9-1SAM

9-FIRST SAM

9-I SA

9-1 SA

9-1ST SA

9-1SA

9-FIRST SA

9-I SM

9-1 SM

9-1ST SM

9-1SM

9-FIRST SM

9-1 S

----------------------------

It turns out that the last abbreviation given for each book is mine.

But I still have not been able to enter this alternate list of abbreviations into the NT program, far as I can tell.

My e-Sword T4SK program works fine to do the tooltipping, but it undoes all the boldface and italic formatting, so I can't use it for this project, since I need to retain that formatting.

Now, if I could only get the abbreviation list used in the T4SK program into the NT program, I'd be all set for tooltipping, almost.

If you save the external abbreviation list to the proper folder everything should work correctly as I said above. Tooltip is pre-programmed to look for the folder I mentioned above, if you create the external list into that folder, Tooltip will find it 

You need to understand that the abbreviation list is not being added to your module, it simply put allows Tooltip to process the file correctly

#16 bookworm1711

bookworm1711

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:01 PM

No matter what I do, nothing works.

Now, when I click on "Scripture" then "ToolTip" a green progress bar shows briefly, but nothing happens in the text. Nothing changes. No verses are tooltipped. No longer is there a green color to the tooltipped references in my former file for Genesis 1:1-6 (I have now set up another file for Genesis 1:7-14). Trying this new file for Genesis 1:7-14 does not work, because nothing happens with it.

I wonder what has gone wrong! Once before it worked for me as described in the manual and showed tooltipped verses in green like it should. Now it shows nothing that I can see, and no changes appear in the document as it shows in the ToolTip NT program. I wonder if something I clicked erased all the abbreviations in the whole ToolTip NT program. I sure wish BH had placed or left what he did for me in my TSK4 program in this new ToolTip NT program.

I placed the txt file of abbreviations in the folder as suggested, but nothing works at all.

#17 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:09 PM

No matter what I do, nothing works.

Now, when I click on "Scripture" then "ToolTip" a green progress bar shows briefly, but nothing happens in the text. Nothing changes. No verses are tooltipped. No longer is there a green color to the tooltipped references in my former file for Genesis 1:1-6 (I have now set up another file for Genesis 1:7-14). Trying this new file for Genesis 1:7-14 does not work, because nothing happens with it.

I wonder what has gone wrong! Once before it worked for me as described in the manual and showed tooltipped verses in green like it should. Now it shows nothing that I can see, and no changes appear in the document as it shows in the ToolTip NT program. I wonder if something I clicked erased all the abbreviations in the whole ToolTip NT program. I sure wish BH had placed or left what he did for me in my TSK4 program in this new ToolTip NT program.

I placed the txt file of abbreviations in the folder as suggested, but nothing works at all.

Which folder did you place the txt file in? 

This again is the required path: This PC > Local Disk (C:) >Documents > e-Sword ToolTip NT > MyAbbr.txt

If the Myabbr.txt FILE is not in the correct folder Tooltip will not be able to find it 

The abbreviations list must be in the folder I mentioned above in order for Tooltip to find it

Did you select "use external list" in the abbreviations menu before you tootipped?

Edited by Tj Higgins, 14 March 2016 - 02:52 PM.

#18 bookworm1711

bookworm1711

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

Dear Tj Higgins,

Thank you for your excellent patience with a beginner!

I checked my e-Sword ToolTip NT folder, and it shows 10 "Macro_ ..." files, followed by my "myabbr.txt" file (!), followed by the PDF "ToolTip NT-2.10.pdf file, the directions.

So, your good instruction did apparently enable me to save the alternate set of abbreviations to the right place.

When I created a new sample file to try out tooltipping with, I did try to select the alternate set of abbreviations by selecting "Scripture," then from the dropdown list I selected "Abbreviation List," "Select External Abbreviation List."

For the latter, the file path was not correct, so I navigated to the place you told me to, and this has set the path correctly.

Then I went back and went from "Scripture," "Abbreviation List," "Select External List," then when the pop-up window appeared asking "Do you what to use this list" [Brent needs to correct his typo there, for "what" read correctly "want"], I answered "yes."

Now when I again go to "Scripture," the dropdown list shows under "Abbreviations List" that the option "Use External List" is selected with a large black dot in front of those words, and a reference to "myabbr" is given.

Then, in an effort not to disturb anything, I used the keyboard command "ctrl + shift + t" to do the tool tipping. Again, the green progress bar quickly displays, but nothing happens.

I even tried selecting the text then using the keyboard command "ctrl + shift + t" but still nothing happens that modifies anything in my sample module text for Genesis 1:7-14.

You've gotten me pretty far, but it still doesn't quite work.

Edited to add: The "tooltipping" did work for part of the first verse, Genesis 1:7.

By selecting text, some of the references in the following verses get tooltipped, but the process is very erratic even then, sometimes recognizing the abbreviation, sometimes not.

Edited by bookworm1711, 14 March 2016 - 06:45 PM.

#19 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:06 PM

Dear Tj Higgins,

Thank you for your excellent patience with a beginner!

I checked my e-Sword ToolTip NT folder, and it shows 10 "Macro_ ..." files, followed by my "myabbr.txt" file (!), followed by the PDF "ToolTip NT-2.10.pdf file, the directions.

So, your good instruction did apparently enable me to save the alternate set of abbreviations to the right place.

When I created a new sample file to try out tooltipping with, I did try to select the alternate set of abbreviations by selecting "Scripture," then from the dropdown list I selected "Abbreviation List," "Select External Abbreviation List."

For the latter, the file path was not correct, so I navigated to the place you told me to, and this has set the path correctly.

Then I went back and went from "Scripture," "Abbreviation List," "Select External List," then when the pop-up window appeared asking "Do you what to use this list" [Brent needs to correct his typo there, for "what" read correctly "want"], I answered "yes."

Now when I again go to "Scripture," the dropdown list shows under "Abbreviations List" that the option "Use External List" is selected with a large black dot in front of those words, and a reference to "myabbr" is given.

Then, in an effort not to disturb anything, I used the keyboard command "ctrl + shift + t" to do the tool tipping. Again, the green progress bar quickly displays, but nothing happens.

I even tried selecting the text then using the keyboard command "ctrl + shift + t" but still nothing happens that modifies anything in my sample module text for Genesis 1:7-14.

You've gotten me pretty far, but it still doesn't quite work.

Edited to add: The "tooltipping" did work for part of the first verse, Genesis 1:7.

By selecting text, some of the references in the following verses get tooltipped, but the process is very erratic even then, sometimes recognizing the abbreviation, sometimes not.

You need to have abbreviations for all 66 bible books otherwise tooltipping will not work correctly make sure you have the abbreviations numbered correctly according to the numbering system in the abbreviations file. 

Also there is an option under scripture called validate references you might want to check your module with that option and see what might need to be fixed 

Consult chapter 4 of the Tooltip users manual for a explanation of what "validate references"

Edited by Tj Higgins, 14 March 2016 - 07:09 PM.

#20 bookworm1711

bookworm1711

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:04 PM

I have my abbreviations inserted into the list for all 66 Bible books.  In fact, this list was prepared from my notes by BH back in 2010 when he created my "e-Sword TSK4" program.  He has all the abbreviations numbered correctly for me. That program (I tried it on a small sample of my material from Genesis 1 yesterday) did convert my reference format to the e-Sword format, but at the same time it stripped my file of the boldface that I use for Bible verse keywords, so I can't use BH's program of 2010 for my current project. 

The further advantage of the "e-Sword TSK4" program for me is it places my emphasis marks before the Bible book name of a Scripture reference so that e-Sword will recognize the reference.  For example, my format, Ge +*3:15, becomes +*Gen 3:15.  These symbols are a very important feature of my Bible study tool. The "+" symbol indicates "find more here."

I think I have seen a few instances where the new ToolTip NT program does this too, but apparently not always or not consistently, far as I can tell so far. Does anyone here know if the new ToolTip NT program has that feature or capability?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users