Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

How add my own Bible book abbreviations to NT list

34 replies to this topic

#1 bookworm1711

bookworm1711

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:17 PM

My first try at using the ToolTip NT software brings up several questions.

Just now I encountered the following

Report the following:  FILE ARGUMENT ERROR.

NSave [6]   file [_]xncreate nt <- 1+|/0, [_]xnnums, [_]nnums

^

NSave [6]

AbbrList[65]

>[fmTxCtrl;Wait]

Start[75]

Since I cannot copy and paste to this comment, I transcribed as best I could the error message above.

This error occurred 3-12-2016 Saturday at 4:45 pm when I attempted to type in a new list of my Bible book abbreviations in the "Edit" box for "Abbreviation List" / "Edit external list" which was a blank pop-up form or screen when I pressed "OK."

What I am attempting to do, so far unsuccessfully even after repeatedly reading the "ToolTipNT-2.10.pdf" manual on page 94, is to enter my own Bible book name abbreviations (the ones I have always used in my published works, which are in The New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge and Nelson's Cross Reference Guide to the Bible) into the abbreviations that the e-Sword ToolTip Tool can recognize so it will be able to convert them all with ease to the abbreviations e-Sword uses.

This is my very first attempt to make use of the e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT.

I am evidently a very slow learner. But I still have hope that with the help available here, I will be successful in creating a valuable Bible study tool for e-Sword.

#2 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:31 PM

hi

can you print screen and post it?

it looks like your Abbreviation is wrong, just a guess

thanks 

Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#3 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:33 PM

My first try at using the ToolTip NT software brings up several questions.

Just now I encountered the following

Report the following:  FILE ARGUMENT ERROR.

NSave [6]   file [_]xncreate nt <- 1+|/0, [_]xnnums, [_]nnums

^

NSave [6]

AbbrList[65]

>[fmTxCtrl;Wait]

Start[75]

Since I cannot copy and paste to this comment, I transcribed as best I could the error message above.

This error occurred 3-12-2016 Saturday at 4:45 pm when I attempted to type in a new list of my Bible book abbreviations in the "Edit" box for "Abbreviation List" / "Edit external list" which was a blank pop-up form or screen when I pressed "OK."

What I am attempting to do, so far unsuccessfully even after repeatedly reading the "ToolTipNT-2.10.pdf" manual on page 94, is to enter my own Bible book name abbreviations (the ones I have always used in my published works, which are in The New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge and Nelson's Cross Reference Guide to the Bible) into the abbreviations that the e-Sword ToolTip Tool can recognize so it will be able to convert them all with ease to the abbreviations e-Sword uses.

This is my very first attempt to make use of the e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT.

I am evidently a very slow learner. But I still have hope that with the help available here, I will be successful in creating a valuable Bible study tool for e-Sword.

You need to copy the internal abbreviation file to an external abbreviation file and then from there you can edit the list to create your own list. The list must start with the abbreviations that tooltip is programmed to recognize

Edited by Tj Higgins, 12 March 2016 - 04:42 PM.

#4 bookworm1711

bookworm1711

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:19 PM

I have no idea how to post a screen shot, or even use "Print Screen." That is one totally unused key on my keyboard! I've never done such a thing before.

Tj Higgins, I will try to see if I can do what you suggest, but I am so new at this that what may seem a very simple task is almost always a major mystery to me. But I am determined to learn!

Many years ago I wrote programmed instruction modules for industry, so I know how to write step by step directions that can be followed by anyone who can read. But with no ill reflection on anyone today giving directions, what I used to write is almost a lost art!

I will come back to report shortly on whether I was able to do what you suggested.

Edited by bookworm1711, 12 March 2016 - 05:39 PM.

#5 bookworm1711

bookworm1711

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:33 PM

Well, whatever I did does not work.

I went to "Scripture"  drop down list and selected something like "Abbreviation List," then I selected "copy internal list  to external list" which then brought up "Save Bible Book Abbreviation File" with a given file name "Abbr*txt" as type "Text File" but save path does not make sense and I don't know what the save path should be:  It currently is "This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) > e-Sword > CCRT.

CCRT is my new module abbreviation, which stands for "Comprehensive Cross Reference Treasury."

I don't think that is where the Abbr*.txt file should be saved, but I have no idea how to figure out the path to where it should be saved.

Even if I could learn what that path should be, how do I know ahead of time that what will be saved is what should go there?

I tried typing my own abbreviations into a blank external list, but they most likely were not saved. If these things are intuitive, I guess I have not developed enough intuition yet!

#6 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:28 PM

Well, whatever I did does not work.

I went to "Scripture"  drop down list and selected something like "Abbreviation List," then I selected "copy internal list  to external list" which then brought up "Save Bible Book Abbreviation File" with a given file name "Abbr*txt" as type "Text File" but save path does not make sense and I don't know what the save path should be:  It currently is "This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) > e-Sword > CCRT.

CCRT is my new module abbreviation, which stands for "Comprehensive Cross Reference Treasury."

I don't think that is where the Abbr*.txt file should be saved, but I have no idea how to figure out the path to where it should be saved.

Even if I could learn what that path should be, how do I know ahead of time that what will be saved is what should go there?

I tried typing my own abbreviations into a blank external list, but they most likely were not saved. If these things are intuitive, I guess I have not developed enough intuition yet!

Tooltip comes pre-programmed with a list of abbreviations that it recognizes for all 66 books of the bible plus 12 book of the Apocrypha. This list is known as Tooltips internal abbreviations list. In order to add your own abbreviations to the list you have to edit the internal list. This is done by first copying the internal list to an external list called abbr.txt by default (you can give it a different name if you wish)

When you first installed Tooltip on your computer it created a folder in your windows documents or My documents folder called "Esword Tooltip NT. This folder contains several macros you can run in Tooltip if you need them, it is also the location of the ToolTip users manual pdf file. When you create the external abbreviations text file or abbr.txt it will be saved by default to Tooltip folder in the documents folder. 

The default path for saving the external abbreviations file is preset as follows C:\Users\name of user here\Documents\e-Sword ToolTip NT. This path will display what ever user name is used as default user name by your computer. 

You are not saving the abbreviation file to your module when you create the external abbreviations text file. Once you have created the external abbreviations list you can select "edit external list" and add you abbreviations to the standard list

Edited by Tj Higgins, 12 March 2016 - 06:28 PM.

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:38 PM

I have no idea how to post a screen shot, or even use "Print Screen." That is one totally unused key on my keyboard! I've never done such a thing before.

To do a Print Screen is easy. Where you see the PrtScn key on your keyboard (which all of them have. Well maybe not the Mac ones), just press that key.

Once that is done, open an image editing program i.e, MS Paint or similar, and in the Edit menu, click on paste. Having done that simply save that image as a jpg file.

Then the next step is to upload the image here.  To do that is relatively simple.

On the bottom of the Reply to this topic editor you will notice a More Reply Options button. Click that button and you be taken to the full blown editor which look similar to this one.

OK, now, when you've done that, at the left hand corner of the fully blown editor you will see a heading saying, Attach Files, and below that a button saying Choose Files...

Now, click that button, and you will get a File Open dialog. In there go to the folder where you've saved your screenshot and click on it. This will upload your file.

Having done that, then click on Add to Post. once that has happened you will see a reference/code to it in brackets like  this:[ ]

Once all of this is done just click on the Add Reply button, and you're home and hose.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 bookworm1711

bookworm1711

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

Thank you for the helpful replies.

I hope to get back to my project tomorrow. My wife's mother was taken to the hospital this afternoon, and we have been requested to visit her tomorrow.

She is 85, and in early April will turn 86. She has a perforation in her digestive tract that is leaking. The hospital has been trying to find out where the leak is and what type of leak it is.  They said if it is the result of an ulcer, she might recover on her own. If it is something else, like a tear, an operation is required. I'm told the doctor said if she were to be operated upon at her age the chance of surviving the operation is only 50%.

I will try to get back to this thread again to let you know if what has been suggested works for me.

#9 bookworm1711

bookworm1711

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:25 AM

I cannot find what you mention, Tj Higgins. You state:

"In order to add your own abbreviations to the list you have to edit the internal list."

I cannot find the "internal list."

Exactly where do I go to see that list?

What I did so far this morning is (1) open the "e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT" program. Then (2) I clicked on "Scripture" at the top line of options (File, Edit, View, Insert, Format, Scripture, Marks, etc.).

Then (3) I selected "Abbreviation List" from the displayed dropdown menu.

Next (4) I selected the last option, "Copy Internal List to External" list, but saw no results understandable to me.

What appears is "Save Bible Book Abbreviation File." It gives File Name:  Abbr*.txt. It shows "Save as type:  Text File."

Then, separately and as before, I cannot find the file location you mention anywhere on my computer. I'm sure it must be there, but I can't find it at all.

Now (5) I went to "Help" at the top of the e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT program and found where to open the PDF manual file, and opened it. Then I clicked on "File" and part of the file path, which is what is maddening, appears. But here is the part it shows:

C:\Users\Jerry\...\ToolTip 2.10.pdf

What is maddening is those three dots which stand for the omitted information, exactly the information I need to know!

I interrupted my attempt to figure this out by successfully upgrading to the latest version of the "e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT" just now, version 2.73 Internal Abbreviation List.

I did further searching and may have found the file path to the folder of files e-Sword currently uses to store modules:  Local Disk (C:)\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword.

I'll have to come back later to report if all of your advice gets me going again!

#10 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:22 PM

I cannot find what you mention, Tj Higgins. You state:

"In order to add your own abbreviations to the list you have to edit the internal list."

I cannot find the "internal list."

Exactly where do I go to see that list?

What I did so far this morning is (1) open the "e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT" program. Then (2) I clicked on "Scripture" at the top line of options (File, Edit, View, Insert, Format, Scripture, Marks, etc.).

Then (3) I selected "Abbreviation List" from the displayed dropdown menu.

Next (4) I selected the last option, "Copy Internal List to External" list, but saw no results understandable to me.

What appears is "Save Bible Book Abbreviation File." It gives File Name:  Abbr*.txt. It shows "Save as type:  Text File."

Then, separately and as before, I cannot find the file location you mention anywhere on my computer. I'm sure it must be there, but I can't find it at all.

Now (5) I went to "Help" at the top of the e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT program and found where to open the PDF manual file, and opened it. Then I clicked on "File" and part of the file path, which is what is maddening, appears. But here is the part it shows:

C:\Users\Jerry\...\ToolTip 2.10.pdf

What is maddening is those three dots which stand for the omitted information, exactly the information I need to know!

I interrupted my attempt to figure this out by successfully upgrading to the latest version of the "e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT" just now, version 2.73 Internal Abbreviation List.

I did further searching and may have found the file path to the folder of files e-Sword currently uses to store modules:  Local Disk (C:)\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword.

I'll have to come back later to report if all of your advice gets me going again!

The internal abbreviations list is internal to Tooltip until you copy it to an external list you will not be able to see the list.

You don't need to concern yourself with where the abbreviation list is saved to as Tooltip knows what folder it is supposed to be in.

The folder where the external abbreviations list will be stored will be inside your My Documents folder, the name of the specific folder within the My Documents folder will be labeled Esword Tooltip NT. This is the folder the Tooltip uses to by default to store the abbreviations text file once you create it by copying the internal list to an external list.

You did all of the steps in creating the external list correctly until you reached the point where Tooltip asked you to save the abbreviation text file. As I said previously when the save window opens it shows abbr*.txt as the file to save. You have a couple of options at this point; You can simply remove the asterisk* from abbr*.txt and call the file abbr.txt or you can remove the abbr* altogether give the text file any name you like.

With the file name set simply click save and Tooltip will generate the external abbreviation list which will be a complete copy of Tooltips internal list.

With external list created you can edit the abbreviation list to add your own abbreviations by selecting edit external list from the abbreviations menu. The edit window opens displaying Tooltips abbreviation list which you can now edit by adding your own abbreviations to the list. Make you use the bible book number system as shown in the list as it is required for Tooltip to recognize the which book the abbreviations connect to. Once you have added your abbreviations to the list click OK at the bottom of the edit window and the list will be saved including your additions to the list. Do Not delete any of the abbreviations that are displayed in the list as it can effect creation of modules in Tooltip.

When working on a module and you want to use your custom abbreviations list, go to the abbreviations menu and select "use external list". Tooltip defaults to the internal list each time you start the program

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users