Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

How do I increase the font size of the Menubar and side panels?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Shabakthanai

Shabakthanai

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationDayton, Ohio

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:48 PM

Thank you eSword for providing a Kubuntu (Linux) Version; I just love it.

My vision has been corrected through the use of glasses, but I am still unable to read fine print. 

I have a large monitor, yet still the Menubar and sidebars use a font size that I cannot read without a magnifying glass.  When I try to read configuration options or the Bible menu without the use of a magnifying glass, I get headaches in a short time.

Can the font size in these areas be configured larger?  I still have some eye-strain using 12 point fonts, but that would be a great improvement if possible.  14 point to 16 point would be much preferred, but 12 point would be acceptable. 

I hate to mention any complaint about the eSword program; it is the finest and most wonderful application on my computer.  Nevertheless, it may be just an available configuration ability I have overlooked.  I would retain and use eSword if I had to use a magnifying glass to read it letter by letter.  Thanks if there is a solution to my need.

The following is not related, but may be of use to others.

Years ago, I installed eSword in Microsoft Operating Systems; I finally removed Windows operating systems from my computer in favor of Kubuntu.  They provided an application called "BibleTime" which used eSword basics, but did not include near the variety of services. 

I still own copies of Vista and Windows 7, so I was able to keep an eSword application for use.  Nonetheless, on a few occasions, virus attacks made their way into the Windows applications, and I removed them permanently.  I was disappointed that I had to use BibleTime instead of eSword, but did so until I recently found that the Windows Emulator called Wine was able to install eSword in my Linux application.  That was a glorious day for me.

Kubuntu, like eSword, is free to use and relies on contributions for its maintenance and improvements.  Unlike the Windows Operating Systems, Kubuntu does not require defragmenting or virus software or adware software.  It is highly configurable.  Increase of Menubar font size, or any other font changes is easily available to users, excepting those applications that are privately offered or those installed using the windows emulator.

Like Windows operating systems regular security updates are provided, as well as, updates and upgrades for all programs to their cutting edge of perfection on a daily basis.  Not only do you not have to purchase quality programs to do your tasks, each time you update your computer all your applications are upgraded to their most current version.

There is a reasonably short learning curve to learn and understand the Linux Operating System; it discourages many, because it causes the need to use the console from time to time.  Most applications do not require this, because Linux developers have provided graphic interfaces that are more user friendly.  Nonetheless, once in a while a console is needed.

The number of commands that are essential are few, so it does not take long to learn and forum help is available for newbie users.

I do not know how many of the people who help are Christians, because it is unusual for anyone to talk of spiritual matters, but the behavior of most reveal either a Christian nature or an actual Christian, helping a brother in the LORD.

In the more than 15 years I have been a Kubuntu user, I have never been abused by another Linux user.   All seem to freely help with expert advice when you need them.  They share their knowledge without cost and are kind to all.  I have never had a virus in my Kubuntu Operating System or the need to purchase or install virus software, an annual expense when using a Windows OS.  Whenever someone tries to enter the system with spyware or adware, their are simple free applications to get them removed.  You may have to notify the appropriate application once to get them permanently out, while most are blocked automatically, I believe by the main installation.  It happens so seldom, it feels more annoying.  You come to expect things like that not to happen, so when they do it is more annoying that when it happens all the time.

Because you don't need to purchase or get help using the commercialized applications required to operate a Microsoft product, it seems like you are part of a different Internet.  When you need some particular application to do a task, you do not have to face the competition of other providers.  All applications being free do not compete with each other.  All applications are what is called 'Open Source'.  When you use them, you have the permission to modify or change the applications with their blessing, but require only that you do not use their name when you offer your modified version.

I apologize if anyone takes my comments as criticism of Microsoft or its products, it is not my intent.  I only hope to share that taking the time to learn the Linux differences is well worth the time.

I have three monitors.  The one on the right is an example of my desktop.  I can choose from thousands of backgrounds and hundreds of styles for the widgets.  Each widget is your choice from many.  They make the things you do often available, real-time.  By profession, I am an artist, so aesthetics is very important to me.  Hopefully that shows in my choice for a Desktop Background.

I am not sure of how to communicate with eSword users, if you have interest in what I have included, reply to this post and I will figure a way to reply.  I am willing to help those interested in trying Kubuntu.  Thanks to anyone willing to help with my font increase configuration problem.  :wub:

The below attachment shows my open screen in eSword to give you an understanding of what I tried to explain:

Each time I attempt to upload the correct image showing my eSword image, it repeats the above Desktop image.  I am sorry to be so clumsy.  I guess I am unable to upload two separate images.

Edited by Shabakthanai, 24 February 2016 - 12:12 AM.

#2 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:14 AM

You can decrease the screen resolution to 800X600

https://wiki.ubuntu....nfig/Resolution
$ xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 800x600 --rate 60

https://www.google.b...o-_BsihUcOGlZgI

Edited by Katoog, 24 February 2016 - 12:15 AM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#3 Shabakthanai

Shabakthanai

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationDayton, Ohio

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:15 AM

My eSword image.

Attached Files

#4 Shabakthanai

Shabakthanai

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationDayton, Ohio

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:23 AM

You can decrease the screen resolution to 800X600

https://wiki.ubuntu....nfig/Resolution
$ xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 800x600 --rate 60

https://www.google.b...o-_BsihUcOGlZgI

I am confused, Katoog.  Do I have to change the resolution to have my images printed?  Or, do I have to change the file system?  I believe I uploaded a .png image.  I believe I can change the image to a .jpg if that is required.  Or a Gif, bitmap or something else.  There was no instruction.

My computer automatically copies images in the .png file format.  When I read my post the images were missing. ;(

#5 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:31 AM

I am confused, Katoog.  Do I have to change the resolution to have my images printed?  Or, do I have to change the file system?  I believe I uploaded a .png image.  I believe I can change the image to a .jpg if that is required.  Or a Gif, bitmap or something else.  There was no instruction.

My computer automatically copies images in the .png file format.  When I read my post the images were missing. ;(

Not the images but the screen resolution of your OS (Kubuntu, Windows, Linux,...)

The best resolutions for your eyes are 800X600 and 1024x768

Not only for e-Sword but also for any other program.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#6 Shabakthanai

Shabakthanai

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationDayton, Ohio

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:12 AM

Not the images but the screen resolution of your OS (Kubuntu, Windows, Linux,...)

The best resolutions for your eyes are 800X600 and 1024x768

Not only for e-Sword but also for any other program.

Forgive my apprehension but it has been years since I have used screen resolution to modify print size.  When I did, I did so to make the desktop image fit the monitor.

My system is set to HDMI and digital sound.  I read the Ubuntu post and can remember the solution to change the resolution, but the current setting is 1920 x 1080.  That seems a big adjustment; I am concerned what will happen to the quality of video and sound.

My monitors are all different sizes, purchased over the years; 24", 27", and 32".  My processor is AMD 8 core with 32GB RAM.  Resolution is HD quality at my current settings.  I have just come through a long period of time with a problematic system that made computing a nightmare for about a year.

My Operating System is Kubuntu 14.04 and does not offer eSword in their repository.  I installed it using a third-party application called Wine (acronym for windows emulator).  Do you have reasonably current equipment, and have you done this in an Ubuntu OS?  Not all Wine applications have worked for me, so I am concerned about making modifications potentially cause unexpected results.

I am very tempted to move forward because of the source where the information is coming, but I don't have any but long time past experience and am pausing due to an uneasy feeling.  Memory suggests that once the font is appropriate, a video will be severely cropped.  Is that the case?  Because my operating system has the ability to change all default font sizes, I am sure I will be able to reduce the existing fonts that are already quite large excluding eSword, that does not respond to the default Kubuntu font size.

The last time I went outside my comfort zone, I ended up spending a year of hard work correcting the damage.

I appreciate very much your taking time to help me, and even following up so fast and considerate.  I will go to the Kubuntu forums and get some advice from my guru friends their to confirm I am doing something that will answer my apprehension. 

Using the font configuration capabilities of Kubuntu doesn't have an impact on graphical images; it only affects fonts.  Therein lies my concern.

Perhaps I will create a virtual machine where I can install a small Linux OS, like Puppy Linux, and put eSword there.  That way I can use the 800 x 600 screen resolution where graphics are not an issue.  In any event, thank you. :wacko:

In CHRIST, brother,

Shab

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

Here is a Screenshot of how you can do it.

HtALu.png

For more information, click here to see the full article.

It trust this will work for you.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users