Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword Utilities - Resourcer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fred

Fred

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:39 PM

File Name: Resourcer

File Submitter: Fred

File Submitted: 26 Oct 2014

File Category: e-Sword Utilities

Author: Frederick Wasti
Suggest New Tag:: e-Sword, utility, utilities, resources, modules, resource manager, library manager, workspaces

V.3,43 is an update to Resourcer V.3, incorporating changes necessitated by e-Sword V.11 (see the changelog below for details).

e-Sword Resourcer is a freeware "resource manager" or "library manager" for e-Sword modules. Resourcer can display information about various e-Sword modules, both as individual modules and as entire directories of modules, and can export such information to text files (either as CSV-like files for spreadsheet program imports, or as plain text files), or to the Clipboard, or to a printer (including Print Preview).

In addition, e-Sword Resourcer provides for setting up e-Sword "Workspaces", i.e., limited subsets of e-Sword Bible, commentary, and dictionary modules, that allow displaying just certain user-defined groups of modules in e-Sword, without having to constantly search through a large number of e-Sword tabs for a user's many e-Sword modules, just to find only certain relevant ones of interest at that time.
To use e-Sword Resourcer, no "installation" per se is required. The program consists of one executable file, "Resourcer.exe", which (after unzipping) can be run from almost anywhere. Resourcer should run on any PC using Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7, Win 8or Win 10..

Ideally, the "Resourcer.chm" and "Resourcer.htm" offline Help files should reside in the same folder as the Resourcer executable, "Resourcer.exe", although this is important only if the user wishes to invoke either Help file from with Resourcer while it is running. (The Help files can each be used independently of Resourcer, and, if that's the case, they could be located elsewhere.)

[e-Sword "techies" might be interested to know that Resourcer is written in C++, and does not have any dependency on any sort of ".NET framework", or on any SQLite DLL either (the relevant SQLite code is compiled and linked statically into the Resourcer.exe file).]

Note: V.1 and V.2 of e-Sword Resourcer were for use with e-Sword V.8 or earlier (which used Access DB modules), while V.3 of e-Sword Resourcer is for use with e-Sword V.9 or later (which use SQLite DB modules).

V,4,2 was an attempt to deal with a bug report ( http://www.biblesupp...cer/#entry32737 ). Due to personal medical issues, I probably cannot do much further development of Resourcer. V.3.43 works well on my own PCs, and will probably have to be the final version. (Sorry.)

Click here to download this file

Keep Lookin' Up !!!

[Fred]

#2 preachermax

preachermax

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:31 PM

Is it just me?  After renaming several workspaces, selecting modules for then activating them, all went well.  After closing resourcer then re-opening, the new workspace names disappeared and the names reverted back to the default names. The module selections remained and any can be activated. The new workspace names are just missing.

#3 preachermax

preachermax

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:04 PM

Is it just me?  After renaming several workspaces, selecting modules for then activating them, all went well.  After closing resourcer then re-opening, the new workspace names disappeared and the names reverted back to the default names. The module selections remained and any can be activated. The new workspace names are just missing.

I am replying to my own post to suggest a potential solution. It appears that the Workspace names are not being correctly entered into the registry.  Retaining Workspace names only seems to be an issue, however, for Workspaces 1-9.  Resourcer adds a different key to the registry for each renamed Workspace 1-9, but each new key for the first 9 workspaces is incorrectly generated with a leading 0. The newly assigned key will be in addition to the already existing keys, which are numbered by default without leading zeroes for all 15 workspaces.

For example: A renamed Workspace 01 generates a new registry key with a value of Workspace 01 in addition to the already existing Workspace 1 key (the default key).  When resourcer is subsequently closed and then reopened, the renamed Workspace 01 name defaults back to the original because, by default, Workspace 01 is looking for the WorkspaceTitle  value inside the default key of Workspace 1.  But the default Workspace 1 key does not receive a new value for WorkspaceTitle, which is where the new name value should be stored.  Instead, the newly created Workspace 01 key is added, which contains a new WorkspaceTitle value that corresponds to the new name. But resourcer cannot find the WorkspaceTitle value because it is looking in the Workspace 1 key, not the incorrectly generated Workspace 01 key.

I am able to fix the issue by manually editing the default registry keys for Workspaces 1-9. I do this by creating a WorkspaceTitle node with a value equal to the desired name inside the default Workspace keys 1-9.  Resourcer will recognize and correctly produce the new workspace name.

Note, however, that Workspaces 10-15 work just the way you would expect, when they are renamed, since resourcer does not duplicate the Workspace keys with leading zeros for the last 5 Workspaces.

I hope this will help in debugging the Workspace renaming routine.

Regards,

PreacherMax

#4 Fred

Fred

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:33 AM

Hi, PreacherMax, and thaks for your report and your research into the situation.

I will look into what you have described and see what I can come up with.

Fred (Resourcer developer)

Keep Lookin' Up !!!

[Fred]

#5 Fred

Fred

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:05 AM

PreacherMax, please try out this version (V.3.42), and then please let me know what you find -

http://www.allgeekto...esourcer342.zip

Thanks.

Edited by Fred, 14 February 2018 - 09:08 AM.

Keep Lookin' Up !!!

[Fred]

#6 Fred

Fred

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

Well, without further feedback, and due to personal medical issues, I cannot do any further development of Resourcer,

V.3..42 works OK on my PCs, and will likely have to be the final version.  Sorry.

Edited by Fred, 29 April 2020 - 12:43 PM.

Keep Lookin' Up !!!

[Fred]

#7 preachermax

preachermax

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:47 AM

Fred,

I am so sorry that I have not replied in a timely manner.  I simply have not made myself aware of any replies.  I came back to the forum to as a different question, today, and saw that you had replied.

I resolve to become more diligent.  There is no excuse for not being more attentive.  Please forgive my lack.

I hope that you are feeling better.  And I will pray for you.  

Also, I have limited coding skills, but would be interested in helping with development, if you would like me to try.  I do now enough not to cause damage and am likely to facilitate improvements.  Existing mods are certainly easier than development from scratch.

Finally,

I will most certainly install the updated resourcer and see if it helps.  And then I will post feedback sometime, today.

God bless.

In Him,

Max

#8 preachermax

preachermax

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:03 AM

PreacherMax, please try out this version (V.3.42), and then please let me know what you find -

Thanks.

Hey Fred,

Workspace renaming is fixed in the new version. 

The only thing that popped out was that you cannot backup an XML file from the previous version and restore it to the current version.  But that is a solution for later. 

I have exported each previous version workspace to tab delimited txt files and copied each one into it's own tab in Excel.  This is a good work around because it brings up several upgrade considerations for the future, while giving me a filterable list of selected resources for each workspace.  And the resulting workbook is easily updated when workspaces/resources are added/modified.

Thanks for your service.

In Him,

Max

#9 Fred

Fred

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:40 PM

Fred,

I am so sorry that I have not replied in a timely manner.  I simply have not made myself aware of any replies.  I came back to the forum to as a different question, today, and saw that you had replied.

I resolve to become more diligent.  There is no excuse for not being more attentive.  Please forgive my lack.

I hope that you are feeling better.  And I will pray for you.  

Also, I have limited coding skills, but would be interested in helping with development, if you would like me to try.  I do now enough not to cause damage and am likely to facilitate improvements.  Existing mods are certainly easier than development from scratch.

Finally,

I will most certainly install the updated resourcer and see if it helps.  And then I will post feedback sometime, today.

God bless.

In Him,

Max

Thanks.

Thanks, Max, for your report.  Yes,I know that exporting and importing would be broken, but I can't squawsh all the bugs, especially newly developed ones. Oh well...

As I siad, that version will be the final version.  I have limitrd days left here - the Master Programmer will be taking me offline in just a few months, maybe bit longer.  I will be going home...

Edited by Fred, 29 April 2020 - 12:52 PM.

Keep Lookin' Up !!!

[Fred]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users