Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Resourcer 3.36 - installation/malware warning for Win10/64Bit OS...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 biblesupportcom4DFS

biblesupportcom4DFS

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:29 PM

Greetings Brothers & Sisters,

Please advise/comment if you have encountered this same issue:

After extracting Resourcer 3.36, i ran the exe file to launch it and then the red pop up pre-installer window

warned of possible risk and showed a checkbox to accept to continue...

Is it safe for Win 10 / 64 Bit system? Maybe this was written pre-Win10?

Please help if you can!

Blessings in Christ Jesus name!

Dominick

#2 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:40 AM

I note from the ReadMe.txt that the files should not be placed in certain locations to run. (I just tested it from the desktop\resourcer folder and it was ok (though I don't use the utility)

INSTALLATION:

To use e-Sword Resourcer, no "installation" per se is required. The program consists of one executable file, "Resourcer.exe", which (after unzipping) can be run from almost anywhere (although it is not recommended that it be run from one of the more "protected" or "system" locations, such as from within the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folders). Resourcer should run on any PC using Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7, or Win 8.n.

Ideally, the "Resourcer.chm" and "Resourcer.htm" offline Help files should reside in the same folder as the Resourcer executable, "Resourcer.exe", although this is important only if the user wishes to invoke either Help file from with Resourcer while it is running.  (The Help files can each be used independently of Resourcer, and, if that's the case, they could be located elsewhere.)

#3 biblesupportcom4DFS

biblesupportcom4DFS

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:41 PM

Hi JPG,

Thanks fo much for your reply and for taking the time to test the program for me!

As you had suggested, I have placed the entire unzipped folder in my regular "Documents" folder: More specifically, in the folder where I keep my backup files for e-Sword; Therefore, it is not in any of the three (3) system folders that e-Sword creates by its default installation.

Furthermore, I have created a desktop shortcut of the ".exe" file, thereby leaving the folder intact with all of its inherent files, although the "installation instructions" state that the other files can be relocated...

After scanning the folder for malware, it returned with safe results; I then proceeded with running the ".exe" file, bypassing and continuing with the Win 10 pre-installation warning and the main ".exe" file works fine.

I did notice that although the help files are in the folder with the ".exe" file but the help files do not function offline. My workaround was to use the "Help" tab, then from the dropdown submenu options, select either the "Online HTML Help" or the "Offline HTML Help".

Also, any standard PDF printer should be able to make a pdf copy of the "offline HTML help" menu that can also be placed on the desktop for quick reference...

Thanks again for your help!

Blessings in Christ Jesus!

Sincerely,

Bro Dominick

#4 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

With the program active, pressing F1 should bring up the help file.

#5 biblesupportcom4DFS

biblesupportcom4DFS

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:22 PM

Hi e-Sword Fanatic,

Thanks for the tip! On my system, only the indexing displays but will not display any content after selecting a topic...

As I mentioned, Resourcer 3.36 gives the other options under the "Help" tab, in order to access the help files...

Thanks again!

Blessings in Christ Jesus!

Bro Dominick

#6 biblesupportcom4DFS

biblesupportcom4DFS

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:13 PM

Hi Saints of GOD,

I have also found in the Help Menu that the "Offline HTML Menu" which can be accessed by the "Help" tab, can be accessed directly from the unzipped Resourcer 3.36 folder...

It is named, "Resourcer.htm" and can be copied and placed on the desktop or anywhere - Also, you can right-click the "Resourcer.htm" file and select from the dropdown submenu, Send To > Create shortcut (desktop), thereby leaving the original file intact in the unzipped folder.

Also, the ".htm" file works nicely offline with the convenient blue hyperlinks which can be selected to take you directly to the desired topic...

GOD bless!

Bro Dominick

#7 Fred

Fred

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:34 PM

Greetings Brothers & Sisters,

Please advise/comment if you have encountered this same issue:

After extracting Resourcer 3.36, i ran the exe file to launch it and then the red pop up pre-installer window

warned of possible risk and showed a checkbox to accept to continue...

Is it safe for Win 10 / 64 Bit system? Maybe this was written pre-Win10?

Please help if you can!

Blessings in Christ Jesus name!

Dominick

Hello.  You are correct that Resourcer (even the latest version, V.3.36) was written before Win 10.  In fact, it was written in Win 7 (which is the last Windows version I intend to use, until I absolutely have to "upgrade" - or "downgrade" - to Win 10 or whatever...).  I have tested it on Windows 8.1 (o my wife's laptop PC).  However, I have no access to a Windows 10 PC, so I can;t test it there, although I am not aware of any reason why it wouldn't work in Win 10.

Fred (the Resourcer developer)

Keep Lookin' Up !!!

[Fred]

#8 Fred

Fred

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:37 PM

I note from the ReadMe.txt that the files should not be placed in certain locations to run. (I just tested it from the desktop\resourcer folder and it was ok (though I don't use the utility)

INSTALLATION:

To use e-Sword Resourcer, no "installation" per se is required. The program consists of one executable file, "Resourcer.exe", which (after unzipping) can be run from almost anywhere (although it is not recommended that it be run from one of the more "protected" or "system" locations, such as from within the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folders). Resourcer should run on any PC using Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7, or Win 8.n.

Ideally, the "Resourcer.chm" and "Resourcer.htm" offline Help files should reside in the same folder as the Resourcer executable, "Resourcer.exe", although this is important only if the user wishes to invoke either Help file from with Resourcer while it is running.  (The Help files can each be used independently of Resourcer, and, if that's the case, they could be located elsewhere.)

I believe that the above is still correct.  I believe that Resourcer should run OK from any "non-protected" (non-system) location, even in Win 10 (which I have not tested it on, since I have no Win 10 PC).

Keep Lookin' Up !!!

[Fred]

#9 Fred

Fred

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:41 PM

With the program active, pressing F1 should bring up the help file.

That is correct (assuming that the Help file Resourcer.chm is located in the same directory as Resourcer.exe).

Keep Lookin' Up !!!

[Fred]

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:30 PM

Hi Fred,

Your program, Resourcer, works fine in Windows 10, both in 64 and 32 bit editions.

I have Windows 10 64bit, and have had  no issues with the program.

I trust this brings a smile to your face.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users