Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

What are your recommended e-Sword dictionaries?

1 reply to this topic

#1 turnsouth

turnsouth

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

I've been using e-Sword LT more often on my iPod, and have found that with more than a few dictionaries installed, the switching of dictionaries slows way down (apparently due to LT pre-looking up the desired word in every dictionary in order to display whether or not each particular dictionary has a definition for the word)

So I've decided to reduce the number of dictionaries that I have installed, and was wondering which ones are most recommended by everyone (including those available from both e-Sword and BibleSupport)?

Thanks

#2 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

That depends upon what you use the Dictionaries for.

The Brown Driver Briggs Hebrew Lexicon Thayer's Greek Definitions, and the Strong's  King James Concordance with TVM.  Combines Brown Driver Briggs (Hebrew) Thayer (Greek) Strong's (Hebrew and Greek) dictionaries, as well as a KJV Concordance and the Tense Mood and Voice extended Strong's. 

So you can see it will help eliminate the need for the individual dictionary modules it includes.

If you don't have it you can download it here:

http://www.biblesupp...one-dictionary/

If you use the encyclopedia style dictionaries the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (in the built in down loader is pretty good.  I also like the CARM Theological dictionary:

http://www.biblesupp...tionarydctxexe/

Concordances are considered dictionaries as well and are available for most translations the one for your favorite translation would be handy,

That is a basic list, I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users