Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Search the words of Jesus

3 replies to this topic

#1 Pastor Reformed

Pastor Reformed

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Is there a way to search just the words of Jesus in e-Sword? Example: I want to see all the times Jesus said "repent" but I don't want all the other "repents." If this is not possible, it would be a great addition.

Thanks,

Chris

#2 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

You need a Red Line Bible like in some King James versions or Niobi Study Bible.

For the words of Jesus in a Red Line Bible: type \cf6 repent in the search for "all the words"

For the Niobi Study Bible:select the New Testament and  type \cf12 repent in the search for "all the words".

With "partial match" have you also "repentance,repents,repented,repenting"

You can highlight another translation by changing the Bible tab and hover over the verse-numbers (if  options\Scripture Tooltip is set on "Active Translation")

Keep in your mind that Jesus spoke no English (synonyms are possible) and that many Bibles translate "Amen" as "truly" or "verily" or "so it be"

Edited by Katoog, 23 October 2013 - 12:30 AM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#3 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:40 AM

Is there a way to search just the words of Jesus in e-Sword? Example: I want to see all the times Jesus said "repent" but I don't want all the other "repents." If this is not possible, it would be a great addition.

Thanks,

Chris

There are at least two ways to do so, both involve using "red letter" translations (where the words commonly believed to be spoken by Christ are shown in red).

The easiest is to simply search for the word in the Gospels and Acts (where Christ is directly cited) and make note of the quotes that show up in red.

The second is the one I once saw recommended by one of the wonks, it involves searching for the word and the code for red font (I cannot recall that, as I use the other way to search).

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#4 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hi

just to let you know that you can use my dictionary to see all the scripture references in my study bible set it is WoJ

thanks

Edited by patchworkid, 23 October 2013 - 02:05 PM.

Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users