Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Boolean search?

8 replies to this topic

#1 jaywise

jaywise

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:33 PM

I would like to find a way to search for something like: [[   H2142 AND NOT "Remember"    ]], but did not find it in the manual - unless I accidentally skipped over it somewhere.

Your help is much appreciated!

#2 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 02:17 PM

Search for any of the words: H2142

Exclude: remember | remembered | remembrance | remembereth | rememberest | remembering

--------------------------

I have no clue how to do it in regular expression; looking forward to solution.

#3 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 08:24 AM

jaywise

Suggest the feature to the developer on his site.

https://www.e-sword.net/feedback.html

#4 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 03:21 PM

OK; messed around a little with regex negative look behind;

e-Sword:

[Rr]ememb\w+<num>H2142 ; provided all variations of: rememb* with H2142

(?<![Rr]ememb)<num>H2142 ; zero search results

Text editor with regex search function:

[Rr]ememb\w+<num>H2142 ; provided all variations of: rememb* with H2142

(?<![Rr]emember)<num>H2142 ; provided results of H2142, excluding those preceded by [Rr]ememb*

Questions:
01. Is the syntax incorrect for e-Sword?

02. Does e-Sword not support ‘look ahead/behind’?

03. I had to include <num>; was it because regex searched the text as is in the database or searched the invisible text in e-Sword?

04. Could not use: (?<![Rr]ememb\w+)<num>H2142

Because I got an error: lookbehind assertion not fixed length; have no clue what that means.

Edited by PeanutGallery, 21 January 2023 - 03:30 PM.

#5 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 03:29 PM

PCRE regex does not allow a variable length lookbehind, so \w+ is the issue as it is variable length.

It would be best to ask Rick Meyers about the issues with regex in Bibles. Seems quite problematic currently.

#6 dharms

dharms

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationThe Colony, TX

Posted 26 February 2023 - 11:26 AM

Hello All,

While we are on the topic of boolean searches, I want to construct a search using the words (Lord or God) and heart.  The results I want to see are all verses that contain the word (Lord or God) and the word heart.  Any suggestions?

Thank You in Advance

#7 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 01:36 PM

Hello All,

While we are on the topic of boolean searches, I want to construct a search using the words (Lord or God) and heart.  The results I want to see are all verses that contain the word (Lord or God) and the word heart.  Any suggestions?

Thank You in Advance

This one works in e-Sword:

Note: Search needs to be set to REGEX

(God|Lord).*heart|heart.*(God|Lord)

Tried this one on e-Sword but does not work, as expected:
But it does work in testing:

((?<=heart).*(Lord|God)|(Lord|God).*(?=heart))

Edited by PeanutGallery, 26 February 2023 - 07:37 PM.

#8 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 08 August 2023 - 09:35 AM

Hello All,

While we are on the topic of boolean searches, I want to construct a search using the words (Lord or God) and heart. The results I want to see are all verses that contain the word (Lord or God) and the word heart. Any suggestions?

Thank You in Advance

Why use fancy mathematics - just make a search list with "god heart" and search for all of the words, and save it to a 'god heart' search results.lstx file. Then make a similar search list with "lord heart" and search for all of the words, and select the option to add it to the previous List Title 'god heart' search results.lstx. Then you can view the entry, browsing up and down, and delete which entries you do not want. Isn't this much easier? Oh - I suppose you want the results also SORTED into a particular book order as well.

There were a total of 150 verses found, 337 matches [god + heart] and there were 230 verses found, 529 matches [lord + heart], and there were 76 verses with 274 matches [lord + god + heart] using the AFV edition. Quite a number of these verses in the different lists will have the same verse number. Some of these words are repeated more than once in some of the verses. Now, you can easily browse through the lists, to view the results. You can then pick and select the entries that you want to select and use to illustrate the argument that you are wanting to expound to explain just what God has revealed to you. If you want the results in a specific order, then I suggest you start with the result that has the most verses, then slot in the entries from the shorter lists, so that the order is sorted in the order of the books of the Bible. Or sort the results in other orders, to expound your teaching.

Perhaps you want to differentiate the type of heart that is referred to. Is the heart still pulsing, and is it alive, and still able to be moulded and shaped, or has it the attitude that will be used to determine the set pattern when a time of judgment is to be made? Heat applied to wax can soften it, like heat in a candle, which can then give light to the sorroundings, when the wick in the soft oil of the candle or lamp is set alight. The hot oil in a lamp or in a lighted candle will splatter and spread if the soft oil is hit by a hard projectile like a missile guided by a drone, or by a returning boomerang. Heat applied to clay can set it hard like rock, which can no longer change. Then the hard heart will shatter if it is hit by a hard object which applies sudden pressure like a projectile guided by a drone or a returning boomerang.

If a coal of hardened wood is in the fire and set alight, it can share its heat and inbuilt energy which it stored from sunligt, ages ago, with others, but if the piece of wood or coal is taken out of the fire, and it is isolated, then it may cool and the warmth and light and fire will tend to go out. Heat and pressure can turn coal into a diamond. Then even though it is hard, it will sparkle when light is applied to any of its surfaces. Have a good day further.

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 12 August 2023 - 03:51 AM.

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:51 PM

Why use fancy mathematics - just make a search list with "god heart" and search for all of the words, and save it to a 'god heart' search results.lstx file. Then make a similar search list with "lord heart" and  search for all of the words, and select the option to add it to the previous List Title 'god heart' search results.lstx. Then you can view the entry, browsing up and down, and delete which entries you do not want. Isn't this much easier? Oh - I suppose you want the results also SORTED into a particular book order as well.

That's easy.

See, you got a bunch of geeks and nerds that just like to  complicate things. They have no idea how to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

If I just left it at the acronym without adding in the meaning, I wonder what the reaction would be.
ROFL.gif

Blessings,
Autograph.png

PS Jesus loves me this I know, otherwise I'd be in serious trouble.

Edited by APsit190, 10 August 2023 - 11:55 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users