Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Error when opening files

6 replies to this topic

#1 Gordon Warren

Gordon Warren

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

I have been having a problem with an error message popping up when I try to open any download (Bible, commentary, map, etc) When I click ok, the same error message comes up with the next download until I get through all the downloads. Then e-Sword format opens but nothing shows as being downloaded.

The message box reads:
Error encountered opening Bible file: C:\Program Files (x86) e-sword asv.bblx
When I click ok, the next download pops up with the same error message and the file name listed,

I run win 7 and had used e-Sword ver 9. This started after downloading the update. I then uninstalled and installed ver 10. I have done this two times and still can not get it to work.

I would appreciate help. I miss e-Sword.

#2 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:08 AM

Remove asv.bblx from C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword\

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#3 jtwanabe

jtwanabe

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:14 AM

Gordon: I am having the same problem. I get "error encountered opening Bible File:"  I wondered if you ever resolved the issue. No help so far on the web or forums.

Rustin

#4 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

This could be a permissions problem that Windows is famous for. Try:

1 - Install e-Sword as the Administrator. You do this by right clicking the e-Sword install file and selecting "run as administrator".

2 - Right click the e-Sword folder - should be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword

On many Windows machines. Click properties - click security - check your current user's permissions - click edit if you don't have full access - check all the boxes for access - click "OK" to save.

3 - Read only can also be a problem on the folder properties. Right click the e-Sword folder again - look at "General" - look at attributes - if it's marked as read only, unmark it and click OK.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#5 miahcoustic

miahcoustic

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:25 PM

Hello Gordon and Wanabe. I also encountered this problem but I found the solution. You just have to Run/Start e-sword as Administrator and your downloads will take effect. Let me know if you still have problems.

Happy studying! 

Regards,

miah

Edited by miahcoustic, 03 April 2015 - 09:26 PM.

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:32 PM

This could be a PEBKAC issue.

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

I run Windows 8.1, and I have had no problems with installing any e-Sword resource files to C:\program files (x86)\e-sword.

So with that, it certainly looks to me like a PEBKAC. :D

If this is a Windows 7 issue, then upgrade to Windows 8.1, or if you hate Windows 8.1, then you'll have to wait for your summer, and then upgrade to Windows 10 (there will be no Windows 9. That's been dumped).

Blessings,

Autograph.png

P.S. I just had to say that. Fact is I've been waiting for a while to bring the PEBKAC thingy.

Edited by APsit190, 04 April 2015 - 09:38 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#7 jay c

jay c

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:21 PM

I had the same problem. Here's how I fixed it:
  1. Log into Windows as an Administrator. 
  2. Browse to "C:\Program Files (x86)" and open the Properties of the e-Sword folder.
  3. Click on the Advanced button to open the advanced security dialog box.
  4. Make sure that Users is listed in the "Permission entries" with "Read & execute" permission.
  5. Check the "Replace all child object permission..." box and click OK.
The problem was that the file permissions on the individual bible files had not been set properly and only Administrators had access to them. This will give all computer users access to use the files.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users