Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Esword for Nook, Kindle or Android

15 replies to this topic

#1 swirian

swirian

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

Anyone know if E-sword has been developed for Kindle, Nook or Android yet? If not are there plans? It's my favorite Bible program!

#2 Fireandsalt

Fireandsalt

e-Sword Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

MySword can be installed on the kindle fire. For the others you could try e-sword live.

#3 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

Anyone know if E-sword has been developed for Kindle, Nook or Android yet?

Thus far, Rick has not released a version of e-Sword for the Android operating system.

MySword for Android was inspired by e-Sword, but is not directly compatible with it.
MySword can be installed on a Nook or Kindle that has been rooted.

My review of MySword can be found at http://sword-and-sca...rd-review.html.

jonathon

#4 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

MySword for Android was inspired by e-Sword, but is not directly compatible with it.
MySword can be installed on a Nook or Kindle that has been rooted.
jonathon

I have been told that the Kindle fire does not need to be rooted to install MySword. You just have to download the apk file from the www.mysword.info website since there is no google play market and then find the file and click on it to install MySword. I do not have a Kindle fire to try this myself, but have heard this from multiple people.

Peter

#5 wlue777

wlue777

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:17 AM

As far as I know, e-sword has not been developed Nook, Kindle or Android. I have use kindle for a year and have been able to click on a bible verse (if there is a link). More than likely the book has to be brought from Amazon. In the time being, I read the ebook as is without the luxury of e-sword or the Word capability. I have some books for Nook and Kindle attached in the submittals with the e-sword submittals.

#6 wales

wales

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

When I enquired with tech support I received this email from Phil.

"Thanks for your inquiry. e-Sword currently plans to support only the Windows PC platform and itse-SwordLIVE

site. e-Sword formats are proprietary, and cannot be used with any other Bible software or ebook reader.

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

This is the kind of question that gets asked quite regularly, and one I find intriguing.

e-Sword itself, is designed only for Desktop/Laptop computers, and although just designed only for the Windows Operating System, it can run on Linux and Mac OSx operating systems using special software to give it that ability.

Android, although a Linux distro, is not a Desktop/Laptop operating system, but a mobile device operating systems for smartphones and mobile tablet devices i.e., Samsung's Galaxy Smartphones and Tablets and etc.

The only way for e-Sword to run on these kind of devices is if Pocket e-Sword is re-written for these kind of devices, but the pity is that isn't going to happen.

MySword, which is totally unrelated to e-Sword and Pocket e-Sword, is a program that has been written for specifically for Android mobile devices, and as far as I am aware it is the best free alternative to Pocket e-Sword. I actually genuinely recommend you download this program and use it.

In a few weeks (about 3 weeks) I'm getting myself a Galaxy smartphone, and will be downloading MySword for it. Once I had a good look at it, and had a really good play with it, I'll be writing a comprehensive review of it. So please watch this space.

A note to Pete Fpeller: Suggest you and your colleagues at MySword make contact with Phil at eStudyScource to get premium modules for this program. I reckon that bloke might be able to pull some punches in getting some stuff for it. Well at best he might be able to give it his best shot.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 24 June 2012 - 06:39 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

A note to Pete Fpeller: Suggest you and your colleagues at MySword make contact with Phil at eStudyScource to get premium modules for this program. I reckon that bloke might be able to pull some punches in getting some stuff for it. Well at best he might be able to give it his best shot.
Blessings,

Hi Stephen. I would love to see premium resources available for MySword. I am not sure if they are even considering it at the moment.

I do not have authority to contact anyone to discuss premium resources for them, I will check to see where they are at on it.

There is a software where you can buy a premium resource for your desktop and also use them on your mobile devices. I have not used it and there is not much available for free so I will not try it or recommend it
http://blog.laridian.com/. It would be great if this could happen for e sword or theWord, but that would take a partnership which I tend to think is very unlikely to happen.

The real dissapointment comes when you buy a bunch of resources for a program like pocket e sword and then development stops and you are not allowed to migrate them to another mobile software. The mobile environment changes so rapidly. With all the free stuff coming out, I tend to think that it is best to stick to buying premium stuff for our PC's and use what is freely available in the mobile environment.

The only way around them is to go with a program like Logos or Laridian (Pocket Bible) where you can buy a resource and use it both places.

Blessings,
Peter

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

Hi Stephen. I would love to see premium resources available for MySword. I am not sure if they are even considering it at the moment.

I do not have authority to contact anyone to discuss premium resources for them, I will check to see where they are at on it.

There is a software where you can buy a premium resource for your desktop and also use them on your mobile devices. I have not used it and there is not much available for free so I will not try it or recommend it
http://blog.laridian.com/. It would be great if this could happen for e sword or theWord, but that would take a partnership which I tend to think is very unlikely to happen.

The real dissapointment comes when you buy a bunch of resources for a program like pocket e sword and then development stops and you are not allowed to migrate them to another mobile software. The mobile environment changes so rapidly. With all the free stuff coming out, I tend to think that it is best to stick to buying premium stuff for our PC's and use what is freely available in the mobile environment.

The only way around them is to go with a program like Logos or Laridian (Pocket Bible) where you can buy a resource and use it both places.

Blessings,
Peter

Hi Pete,
Thanks for your reply.

You know, mate, this kind of thing reminds me of the days (which was only about maybe three and a bit years ago) before eStudyScource when e-Sword only had old resources that were predominately public domain, and about the only thing that was premium was the NASB and the Amplified Bible. I remember the cry that went out for more up to date resources for e-Sword, and the frustration around it. I remember the discussion we had on the e-Sword Group at Yahoo over the issue of the NIV not being available.

As a result of that cry eStudySource was able to get hold of the NIV, NIRV, and the TNIV for e-Sword. And now there is quite a comprehensive library of premium modules available. It may need such a cry to go out for MySword for such resources to be made available.

Again, Pete, thanks for your reply, and as always its been really helpful in understanding what is happening or isn't happening in the MySword world.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#10 Miguel de Ozarko

Miguel de Ozarko

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:11 AM

With the incredible popularity of Ipads, Kindle tablets and smart phones, I think many people would greatly value e-sword on those platforms. I am a teacher, and many of my students are migrating more exclusively to portable devices. Just an observation as we begin 2015.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users