Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

COMPLETED: The Spoken English New Testament

COMPLETE

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

I am happy to announce that work is completed on the e-Sword version of the Spoken English New Testament (2011). This Bible is the result of years of dedicated work by Webb Mealy, the translator. This New Testament is an accurate translation, but uses words that the majority of English-speaking people will recognize and understand without needing to consult a dictionary.

http://www.biblesupport.com/e-sword-downloads/file/7598-sent-the-spoken-english-new-testament-2012/

I’m glad you’ve visited, because I’m convinced that the New Testament is the
most powerful book ever written. It contains the Good News of Jesus Christ,
which has revolutionized the lives of hundreds of millions of people. As a Christian
New Testament scholar, the Spoken English New Testament has been my labor
of love, to bring the New Testament to you more clearly than ever before, so that it
connects with you more deeply than you ever thought it could.

Are you looking for a readable New Testament?
Have you resolved to read the New Testament every day?
Have you been getting put off by the dull, old-fashioned, stodgy language of your Bible?
Are you concerned that an easy to read version might distort or water down the text?
Are you just desperately needing to get reconnected with God?

If any of these situations describe you, then the Spoken English New Testament
(SENT) is really going to help you. Here are the powerful, life-changing words of Jesus and
his apostles, rendered in language that is just simple and normal. SENT achieves exceptionally
high levels of accuracy and faithfulness as a translation, but without sounding old-fashioned
or “churchy”. And it’s totally accessible and readable, without trying to sound “hip” or folksy.
Get ready for a treat—this is a New Testament that you are going to thoroughly enjoy reading.
And not only that—you’re going to come away from nearly every reading experience with
new depth of insight and understanding.

— J. Webb Mealy, SENT translator

Read about this translation (and read excerpts from it) at http://sentpress.com...me/welcome.html

If you find this translation useful, please consider purchasing a hard-copy or making a donation to help them send copies to others who cannot afford it. Information about this can be found on their website.

Edited by Bradley S. Cobb, 11 June 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

Hi Brad,
This sounds like a bit of an oxymoron, bro. a Bible in Spoken English is like the language that comes out of your mouth, right! If it comes out of you mouth, as in you speak i, how do you "read" it from a book?! That what makes it an oxymoron because you can't read from a book what comes out of your mouth. LOL.

Anyway, I know what is meant, but its good fun to have a go at the way we say things.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#3 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

Hardy har har... :)

In all seriousness, I am excited about this translation. I hope it benefits all who read it.

#4 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

-

Edited by Bradley S. Cobb, 21 June 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#5 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

The Spoken English New Testament project has been completed, and is now ready to download. I am confident that you will all find this translation easy to read, easy to understand, and a nice change of pace from the typical Bibles that are generally uploaded here (even by me).

This translation stays accurate in translation, but uses words that would make more sense to the modern reader.
Words that are not in the original Greek, but added by the translator for ease of understanding, are in a light grey color.

The download includes:
  • A Bible file, complete with helpful headings and over 6,000 footnotes.
  • A Commentary file which contains the text of the 6,000+ footnotes, which give (1) pronunciations of names and places, (2) alternate translation possibilities, (3) very literal renditions, and (4) some textual criticism notes regarding variant readings.
  • A Dictionary file with 107 entries to explain certain words and concepts that would be unfamiliar to today's generation which is not as familiar with God's word as generations past have been.
Please take the time to download it and look at it. And if you enjoy it, consider purchasing a hardcopy from the translator. NOTE: I get zero money from it. This conversion was a labor of love.

http://www.biblesupp...testament-2012/

Edited by Bradley S. Cobb, 21 June 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#6 Webb Mealy

Webb Mealy

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

Dear Forum Members,

I just wanted to convey my thanks to Bradley Cobb, who has done the painstaking work of converting SENT, the Spoken English New Testament, into a handsome e-sword format. I hope those of you who have downloaded it will click "follow this file" for the download, so that you'll receive a message if/when a corrected version or an update is done to the SENT file.

For those of you who, like @APsit190, think a Spoken English New Testament ought logically to be an audio version, you can see samples here: http://www.sentpress...ten_online.html. Or you can just consider that the ideal way of reading SENT is to read it aloud, instantly making it a spoken message as you read. This is how people used to read in the ancient world, and we miss something by "reading in our heads." Try it! Every word has been designed to be read aloud.

With a blessing on your reading,

Webb Mealy
Translator, the Spoken English New Testament

#7 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

Thank you for allowing me to convert your translation, sir!

The SENT file has been downloaded over 250 times in the past 12 days (which is quite a bit for a new Bible file). Could any of you who have downloaded it give some feedback on what you thought of it? It would be greatly appreciated.

#8 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

I received two copies of the Spoken English NT in the mail today, and I do have to say that it is a very nicely formatted Bible. The font size is easily readable, the footnotes are non-obtrusive, the headings are helpful, and the translation is nice and fresh while still adhering to the original Greek. If you have gotten any benefit from the e-Sword version, please consider getting a hardcopy as a way of saying thanks to the translator for making his translation freely available on this website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users