Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

122 Members in a Day and other Stats

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#11 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

At an extremely rough guess, I reckon worldwide the number would be about 2 million users, and that the largest number of users would be in the US, Canada, and Europe.

Once upon a time, there was a page on e-Sword.net, that pointed to a page that listed daily visitors broken down by country.

The only thing I can currently find, is a map from 2010, which shows which countries e-Sword has been downloaded from.

Moreover, areas that I'm interested in knowing are:

• Total number of e-Sword Users who give e-Sword away
  • Total number of exclusive users of e-Sword (only use e-Sword)
  • Total number of mixed users of e-Sword (use e-Sword and one or more other Bible Software)
  • And of those who also use other Bible Software, the Total number who predominantly use e-Sword and/or some other Bible Software.[/quote]
From 2010.

1.4.1.5: Distribution
  • 10 000 000 + copies from e-Sword.net;
  • 80 000 downloads a month from e-Sword.net;
  • Between 100 and 1 000 copies a month from other Internet sources;

CD distribution

• 1 000 000 copies per year in South East Asia1;
  • 1 000 000 copies per year in South America2;
  • 1 000 copies per year in India3;
  • 60 000 copies per year in the rest of the world4;

I do not consider those figures to be either reliable, or accurate. They are extrapolations from data that either users have provided to me, or that I have read on various mailing lists, web forums, blogs, and the like5.

Quiet Distribution

There are several organizations that have quietely created resources, and distributed them only within their own communities. Typically, these are missionary organizations that are working with “minority languages”, or in the 10-40 belt.

As one example, the map of downloads of e-Sword at e-Sword.net shows no downloads within Greenland. At least one mission group has distributed e-Sword within that country. The resources they included in their distribution, have not “escaped” into the wild.

1Population: 557 000 000 (http://www.uky.edu/~...PopData332.html Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, East Timor, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam) Population: 1 303 700 000 (Retrieval Date: 20091214) (http://www.uky.edu/~...PopData332.html China) Population: 127 700 000 000 (http://www.uky.edu/~...PopData332.html Japan) Population: 1 988 400 000 (total) (Retrieval Date: 20091214)

2Population: 385 742 554 (Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....i/South_America) (Retrieval Date: 20091214).

3Population: 1 198 003 000 (Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....orld_population)(Retrieval Date: 20091214).

4World Population: 6,692,030,277 – 2008 Source: World Bank, World Development Indicators. (Google Search “World Population” no quotes used. http://www.google.co...q=f&oq=&aqi=g10 ) (Retrieval Date: 20091214).

5In other words, they all fail Wikipedia WP:V policies.

jonathon

Attached Files

#12 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Hi Jonathon,
Although this is not a scientific measurement, but at best can be regarded as a rough guess, by taking the total download of 9 million over a period of 12 years worldwide (internationally), it would be reasonable to assume there are roughly 2 million users.

Of CD Rick Meyers' gives as a result of donations is a part of that 9 million figure, I don't know.

Now, here is something that is interesting; the publishers of the WordStudy dictionary (AMG), in their edition Strong's Concordance (Hard Copy) includes an e-Sword CD with it. The only problem is that its a 7x version of e-Sword on it that I've seen.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#13 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

it would be reasonable to assume there are roughly 2 million users.

One of the methods I used to determine number of active users, was to divide the number of downloads per year, by the number of versions of e-Sword released that year.

Back when e-Sword published the number of downloads of its most popular files each month, I used those figures to determine the number of e-Sword users. (These figures are much more likely to reflect actual users, than number of downloads.)

When I next feel like playing with BibleSupport data, I'll do some statistical voodoo, to determine the number of current e-Sword users. (What's with Expositors Bible - 49 Volume Set - Commentary Format Available? Has every BibleSupport.com user really downloaded it twice?)

the publishers of the WordStudy dictionary (AMG), in their edition Strong's Concordance (Hard Copy) includes an e-Sword CD with it.

I don't have a complete list of publishers that include a copy of e-Sword in their books. :(
Whilst this town has more than fifty bookstores that claim to be Christian, at least 50 of them won't have a copy of Strong's Concordance in them. (I realize that Orange, California, and Boise, Idaho aren't in the state I live in, much less the town, but the bookstore chain here considers their stores in those places to be local, and consequently in this town.) Consequently, there aren't any stores good for browsing, that would enable me to verify/complete the list of publishers that include e-Sword in their books.

jonathon

Edited by jonathon, 17 April 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#14 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

jonathon said:

When I next feel like playing with BibleSupport data, I'll do some statistical voodoo, to determine the number of current e-Sword users. (What's with Expositors Bible - 49 Volume Set - Commentary Format Available? Has every BibleSupport.com user really downloaded it twice?)

I know that I did. This is something that I really wanted, and it was updated, so I also downloaded the update. Ratings indicate this is a very popular and excellent module.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#15 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

I know that I did. This is something that I really wanted, and it was updated, so I also downloaded the update.

I haven't been tracking the number of times it was downloaded. My impression is that there were roughly 10K members when the update was released.

Anyway, after looking at the resource for a couple of minutes, I found the explanation. It was distributed as a commentary file, and a set of topical files/reference library. Enough people downloading the latter will push the overall numbers up, so that it looks like everybody has downloaded it at least twice.

jonathon

#16 blcjr

blcjr

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

:) Soon! I think I've learned a lesson on issuing public deadlines. Lange's is coming around, but with the warm weather my progress has slowed. Fortunately, it's not a verse by verse commentary. Since it's chapter by chapter, it's manageable. The chapters that are properly divided are very fast. It's the redividing that's annoying. I think it's going to be near 160 megs. I'm spending a few hours a day on it.

Are these the OT volumes for Lange? I'm a theWord user, but assume this will also be available for theWord, once its done, or that I can convert it myself.

#17 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

Are these the OT volumes for Lange? I'm a theWord user, but assume this will also be available for theWord, once its done, or that I can convert it myself.

This is going to include both the OT and NT volumes for Lange's. The module will be available for theWord at www.wordmodules.com when it is completed as well as at this site for e sword and MySword.

Blessings,
Peter

#18 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Expositor's Commentary has like 49 topx files, or one commentary file. If someone downloads all 49 topx files, it shows as having been downloaded 49 times. Multiply that over 500 users, and you've got 24,500 downloads, even though only 500 users actually downloaded it. That file is a very bad one to include when trying to figure out how many people downloaded it. Same thing with the collection files (Spurgeon, for example) with multitudes of individual files all counting towards one common number.

#19 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

This is going to include both the OT and NT volumes for Lange's. The module will be available for theWord at www.wordmodules.com when it is completed as well as at this site for e sword and MySword.

Hi Pete,
This is what I love about this site and forum. We actually love each other to bits despite them using weird Bible Software like TheWord and other wonky ones, and we make modules for them.

Big_Hug.gif for the Weird and Wonky Bible software users

Blessings,

Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#20 blcjr

blcjr

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Blessings,
Peter

Okay, if I understand...The NT volumes are already available, but this new module will include both NT and OT. Thanks for working on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users