Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Open letter to certain BibleSupport.com members

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:51 AM

Greetings,

As we are all trying to study God's word and apply its precepts to our lives, I have great respect for each one of you. However, there is something that I think should be addressed.

Some people here have decided to give poor ratings to many modules without even downloading them (and obviously not reading them) first. One recent module was voted with one star recently within five minutes of its being posted. This was done by someone who didn't bother to download it, nor could they have had time to read it. Yet, without even looking at it, they would give it a bad rating.

If you are going to rate a module, at least take the time to download and scan through it first. As I understood it, the rating system was not supposed to be a doctrinal statement, but a comment on the quality of the module (formatting, helpfulness, etc...). And it is hypocritical to give a rating to something you won't even take the time to download, let alone read.

Brad

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

Hi Brad,
I am inclined to agree with you.

I think that if one is going to rate a module, it ought to be done without doctrinal bias. I think that where one wants to comment on it with regard to one's doctrinal stand, then should simply post a Blog on it, and from there one can argue to his/her hearts content.

Blessings,

Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#3 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:26 AM

That is a helpful clarification. Thanks..

#4 SpreadTheWord

SpreadTheWord

Resource Builder

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

Greetings,

As we are all trying to study God's word and apply its precepts to our lives, I have great respect for each one of you. However, there is something that I think should be addressed.

Some people here have decided to give poor ratings to many modules without even downloading them (and obviously not reading them) first. One recent module was voted with one star recently within five minutes of its being posted. This was done by someone who didn't bother to download it, nor could they have had time to read it. Yet, without even looking at it, they would give it a bad rating.

If you are going to rate a module, at least take the time to download and scan through it first. As I understood it, the rating system was not supposed to be a doctrinal statement, but a comment on the quality of the module (formatting, helpfulness, etc...). And it is hypocritical to give a rating to something you won't even take the time to download, let alone read.

Brad

There's only so much I can here in this forum. Ive said plenty in the other forum where I can say it. Suffice to say I don't need to read the module to understand the theology you represent. Ive read the theology arguments youve been indoctrinated with before.....several times.....and rejected them. I dont need to read it again...theres nothing new to read. I will admit to downvoting the files that advocate your theology. I have no problem saying it. I am not a hyporcrit because I already know the argument and find it baseless. I can't say anything more in this forum lest I get another warning for "arguing".

#5 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

the rating and reviews are to be on the module construction its quality of build not its doctrine weather or not I accept the presented doctrine well THAT I WILL JUDGE FOR MYSELF, I just want to know the quality of the modules construction

per the rules you can not rate or review on doctrine

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

There's only so much I can here in this forum. Ive said plenty in the other forum where I can say it. Suffice to say I don't need to read the module to understand the theology you represent. Ive read the theology arguments youve been indoctrinated with before.....several times.....and rejected them. I dont need to read it again...theres nothing new to read. I will admit to downvoting the files that advocate your theology. I have no problem saying it. I am not a hyporcrit because I already know the argument and find it baseless. I can't say anything more in this forum lest I get another warning for "arguing".

SpreadTheWord,
Firstly be great if you plonked up your first name when signing off, rather than looking anonymous/ as I would like to know to whom I'm talking to, or put a face to your name.

That said, I don't disagree or agree with what you said, and no one is arguing against what you said. However, in what you say is that you're missing the point of what Brad has pointed out, and that is the issue of doctrinal bias when rating a module. I don't need to go any further on this as other posts (as well as mine) concur with what Brad has highlighted.

As a matter of interest, you can create and write your own blogs on this site and argue away to your hearts content on what you reckon about certain theological issues, and put things up that are somewhat controversial. That is what blogging is all about. But its not on this part of the site one is allowed.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 12 February 2012 - 04:52 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#7 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

There is no rule against judging module content in the ratings.

The only guidelines posted were for reviews.

#8 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

The rating is a review if the rules don't apply to the rating then why have the rule

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

The rule I wrote on doctrinal arguing was to stop the bickering in the Reviews sections. One upload had 8 pages of arguing and few readers would make it past page 1. You can still be critical in a review. You can point out what the module states or doesn't state. You just can't render an opinion on a module's theological content in the written reviews. I made that rule because I can objectively enforce it--either the review contains an opinion on theological content or it does not. Either yes--or no. I can enforce yes or no.

I can't easily enforce why someone rated a module. So I have no rule on the star ratings. Otherwise, every time someone's module received a bad rating, the uploader would want to know who gave it. I just don't have the time to moderate that and make a judgment call on someone's thought process.

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this. We'll digest this and see if anything comes to mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users