Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Problems with downloaded, installed bibles for other User Accounts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Todd Skins

Todd Skins

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

I have Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) on a new laptop, with 3 Accounts (Admin, User 1, and User 2). I've installed e-Sword and many modules and dictionaries with no problems. They open up in the other User accounts without issue.

But there are issues with 5 downloaded bibles using the built-in downloader inside of e-Sword, that I cannot understand nor fix, with all the permissions issues I have struggled with (by the way, e-Sword is installed to allow Everyone full permissions).

I have found, though, that modules and bibles that install using their own executeable (.exe) file install fine and are accepted by other User accounts without issue.

A description of the issue(s) goes like this: I downloaded the free ESV, YLT, DRB, and two of the Chinese bibles, and they install and work fine if I am in the same User Account that installed them. But as soon as I go over to a different account (Admin, or the other User), when I start e-Sword I get the following error messages: "Cannot load ESV.bblx", "Cannot load YLT.bblx", etc. with all the downloaded free bibles.

Furthermore, if I then download them into this other User account, again, and close out e-Sword and open it again, all those modules work fine. But now if I go back to the other User account (which had been working fine), now it too starts complaining about these same free downloaded bibles and I get the same error messages.

I have noticed that after all this, I came here to Bible Support and downloaded a bible with its own .exe, ran it, and it installed perfectly into all accounts, and none of the account complain about it. All the bibles I have purchases, or installed from their own .exe application, work fine.

So I guess I'm looking for either of two answers: 1) Can you direct me to where the free bibles that are accessible from within e-Sword can be downloaded so that I can install them outside of the e-Sword installer (I've got the module installer downloaded from here to install resources and it works great), and/or 2) Any geeks here that know what my problem is with these permissions things and can advise me?

Thanks

p.s. I really would like to know if the bibles could be downloaded outside of e-Sword since I am pretty sure that that is a good solution for my dilemma.

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

Hello,

You should contact http://www.e-sword.net/feedback.html for help with official modules downloaded from the e-Sword downloader.

My guess is he will walk you through setting the permissions individually for each problematic file.

#3 Todd Skins

Todd Skins

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

I did that and his answer was too general, vague. "Set the security settings of the e-Sword program directory *and* its contents to allow Everyone "Full Control" ", which i already had, but that does not fix this issue.

Do you know if the individual bibles can be downloaded in their .bblx format from some site so I can installl them with the Resource Installer?

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

I did that and his answer was too general, vague. "Set the security settings of the e-Sword program directory *and* its contents to allow Everyone "Full Control" ", which i already had, but that does not fix this issue.

Do you know if the individual bibles can be downloaded in their .bblx format from some site so I can installl them with the Resource Installer?

Did you change each bblx file to allow Everyone "Full Control"?

I'm not aware of any website that lets you download the bblx files. Then again, I'm not that familiar with the interworkings of e-Sword's premium modules, their distribution system, and how Windows permissions impact the modules from e-Sword's downloader. I helped Rick with the construction of a premium resource recently, but that's the extent of my knowledge. Rick designed the system, so you're best bet is to follow up with him.

#5 Todd Skins

Todd Skins

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:23 AM

Josh Bond, what you said did the trick! Between your specific suggestion and applying Rick's security settings, that fixed the whole issue. Fantastic!

Yes, going to each of those free downloaded bibles (.bblx) files inside the main e-Sword folder, and applying the "Everyone" "Full privileges", did it. No more error messages, and each user account is customized differently from the others.

Thanks much! Now I gotta forward this message to Rick, too. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users