Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Poll: e-sword open source?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

Poll: E-Sword open source? (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see Rick Meyers make e-sword open source (meaning anyone could contribute code to the e-sword program)?

1. Yes (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

2. No (28 votes [75.68%])

Percentage of vote: 75.68%

If you are a programmer, would you support e-sword development for free?

1. Yes (8 votes [21.62%])

Percentage of vote: 21.62%

2. No (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

3. N/A I'm not a programmer (27 votes [72.97%])

Percentage of vote: 72.97%

Would e-sword going open source encourage you to use e-sword exclusively on your computer?

1. Yes (8 votes [21.62%])

Percentage of vote: 21.62%

2. No (29 votes [78.38%])

Percentage of vote: 78.38%

Vote

#21 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

Inasmuch as one major copyright holder has declared the GPL to be verboten, on the grounds that it aids and abets pirating, and has claimed to have a formal policy denying permission to "gratis" Biblical software from utilizing their content, it is self-evident that the perceived license does affect permission to distribute. That that copyright holder has distributed content for Libronix, even though Libronix is, from a technical POV, distributed gratis, merely shows the hypocrisy in their formal policies and practices.

Jonathon,
Just on that issue, I wonder what they would say if stuff like that was pointed out to them, and that they (best way I can put it) looked like a bunch of fakes and hypocrites in what they say. I wonder if anyone has emailed, phoned, written, or spoken directly to them about it, or even challenged them (I hate this idea) in court over it?

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#22 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

Jonathon,
Just on that issue, I wonder what they would say if stuff like that was pointed out to them, and that they (best way I can put it) looked like a bunch of fakes and hypocrites in what they say. I wonder if anyone has emailed, phoned, written, or spoken directly to them about it, or even challenged them (I hate this idea) in court over it?

Blessings,

Stephen, here in America no one is under any obligation to do business with anyone else. A publisher is under no obligation to make resources available for a GPL software program, or any program --- for a good reason, a bad reason, or just about any reason at all. So, no, there is no legal recourse for a publisher not choosing your software format. Similarly, there's no recourse if a publisher tells you no and someone else yes. And I'm glad--I like living in a (somewhat) free country.

On the one hand, I agree with that publisher's conclusion that GPL licensing of copyrighted material results in piracy. Absolutely.

On the other hand, publishers think Kindle and many other eBook formats are secure. Anyone can export the text of a Kindle or other eBook format with $10 software in a matter of seconds, complete with all formatting data (bold, italics, paragraph breaks, internal hyperlinks, etc). No format is as secure as publishers seem to believe.

#23 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

No format is as secure as publishers seem to believe.

Hi Josh,
Shhh, Don't tell them that. They just might freak out, mate :lol:

A publisher is under no obligation to make resources available for a GPL software program, or any program --- for a good reason, a bad reason, or just about any reason at all.

And they call themselves Christian publishers. Please see reaction below.

ROFL.gif

I could say more, but I wont.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 25 February 2012 - 07:40 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#24 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:34 AM

Just on that issue, I wonder what they would say if stuff like that was pointed out to them,

The first time it was pointed out to that organization, the response was something along the lines that that was not the case. Followup requests for clarification have been given the silent treatment.

On the one hand, I agree with that publisher's conclusion that GPL licensing of copyrighted material results in piracy. Absolutely.

That is an unproven assumption.

What has been proven is that DRM drives legit users to the pirated version.

DRM, at best, results in nothing more than a waste of money on the part of the organization that uses it. At worst, it will result in the company being bankrupted, because the DRM prevents the content from being used by the legitimate end-user.

jonathon

#25 diebugs

diebugs

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

I have been using e-Sword for nearly as many years as it has been available. In that time, Rick Meyers has done a wonderful job of improving the program. By allowing others to use it without charge, requiring the program to be distributed freely at no charge and permitting others to develope new modules for e-Sword, even giving links to user created module sites (like biblesupport.com), the program has spread worldwide.
Anyone willing to read the history of the program on e-Sword.net will be able to see that the developement and distribution of the e-Sword program has been a personal ministry given to our brother in the faith. I WILL NOT VOTE TO ATTEMPT TO TAKE AWAY ANY MINISTRY GIVEN BY THE GODTHAT IS BEING CARRIED OUT BY THE PERSON GOD GAVE IT TO!

#26 Dave

Dave

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

I have been using e-Sword for nearly as many years as it has been available. In that time, Rick Meyers has done a wonderful job of improving the program. By allowing others to use it without charge, requiring the program to be distributed freely at no charge and permitting others to develope new modules for e-Sword, even giving links to user created module sites (like biblesupport.com), the program has spread worldwide.
Anyone willing to read the history of the program on e-Sword.net will be able to see that the developement and distribution of the e-Sword program has been a personal ministry given to our brother in the faith. I WILL NOT VOTE TO ATTEMPT TO TAKE AWAY ANY MINISTRY GIVEN BY THE GODTHAT IS BEING CARRIED OUT BY THE PERSON GOD GAVE IT TO!

I agree totally, I started using e-Sword many years ago, when free Biblle study software was hard to find and not very good, even commercial offerings were limited, and can see no reason to try to take control away from the man who has given great amounts of time and talent to providing world class software to any who care to use it.

#27 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

I agree completely with the last two posts and fit into the same category as a long-term user of e-Sword. I even feel somewhat guilty talking about this behind Rick's back. The bottom line is that it's none of our business. I give thanks that e-Sword is being used around the world for the Lord's Work. So, I also give thanks for Rick Meyers' work that makes it all possible.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#28 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

I agree completely with the last two posts and fit into the same category as a long-term user of e-Sword. I even feel somewhat guilty talking about this behind Rick's back. The bottom line is that it's none of our business. I give thanks that e-Sword is being used around the world for the Lord's Work. So, I also give thanks for Rick Meyers' work that makes it all possible.

Yes.

Honestly, I discovered eSword in the summer of 2002 at a friends house. I installed it into my first computer in October 2002 - one of the first programs that I downloaded and installed. I feel as if Rick has given me a valuable 'gift' which I never asked for, but has become almost invaluable to my study of the Word of God. When I look at eSword I'm just thankful. That's all, just thankful. It's like a friend give's me an undeserved gift and then returns every 12 months or so, saying let me make this better for you! Thankful and blessed! I've added a few modules, but nothing like others have done.

Back on point: I think it's possibe for men who self-identify themselves as 'men of God' to become over entangled with the technical aspects of Bible study, while missing the purpose totally. An example would be someone who has a vast collection of Bibles in dozens of bindings, leathers, sizes, languages, etc. but is best known for their argumenitive attitude. One Bible, well lived, would bless that soul more than all the technical knowledge they have about Biblical bindings.

#29 dartmaster644

dartmaster644

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

LarryG......
Well spoken my friend.....

Dartmaster644

#30 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

In regards to e-Sword being a closed source program, there is one thing that Rick Meyers stated in his EULA (End User License Agreement that perhaps programmers who wish to contribute further development of it. I think its really worthwhile reading and taking notice of it.

If you want to do some thing that is against this license, but within the spirit of free software, then let's talk about it.

Rick is open to suggestions and ideas for the ongoing development of e-Sword, and if there is something you can add to it which is in the spirit of free software, then all it takes is some communication on your part.

There are major contributors to e-Sword in one form or another, and of those who are actively involved in this area in one capacity or another has never seen the need for e-Sword to go open source. Perhaps the best way to show how this works is we look at the software developers who had over the years written (and still writes) software to use for e-Sword as examples who do not think its necessary for the program to go open source.

Two major contributions have been made to this program and the e-Sword community that no other Bible software have experienced, and I think these contributors need to be recognized.
  • Josh Bond, owner of this site, creating and providing this site at his own expense; having helped and also then authored the e-Sword User Guide, now used as the e-Sword official help system. And for the development of two pieces of software for e-Sword.
  • Brent Hildebrand for the development of two major pieces of software, Tooltip Tool and e-Sword HotKey.
Josh and Brent aren't professional software developers, but of the tools they have produced are certainly of a professional standard. And when you see things like that, to be honest I really believe that this makes e-Sword something exceptional.

The e-Sword community is quite large, and the support given to Rick and this program, as far as I am aware, is unparalleled. Also, as far as I am aware, there is not a Bible program that has the user support which matches e-Sword. Moreover, those who volunteer there time and expertise to the distribution of e-Sword, and the creation of first class third party resources and modules is also unparalleled. I guess the only other program which would come second to e-Sword in end-user support is The Word, and the rest would pale in comparison.

We have a very excellent program that is still extremely simple to use, with an interface that takes user to where he/she wants to go at a glance. When I look at this very factor, I do not believe that e-Sword can be anymore improved within the scope it currently is by it being open source.

I like the way e-Sword is, and I like the way Rick Meyers and his gang have developed and improved e-Sword over the years. I like the way the future development of e-Sword is going. I think that with the philosophy of KISS and WYSIWYG, that future developments will always bear these things in mind despite a slight learning curve needed, the end-user will always have a pleasurable experience studying the Word of God.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by Josh Bond, 28 February 2012 - 04:21 PM.
Moderator: Removed occupational details per member's request

X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users