Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

e-sword v13.0.0 won't open

6 replies to this topic

#1 AndreVonRhenen

AndreVonRhenen

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:09 PM

Hi

After installing the new version of e-sword, it will not open.  Installation is/was successful but when double-click the icon on the desktop or file explorer nothing happens. 

I have tried opening it with administrator rights but no joy.  I also uninstall it, restart, install, restart again but still no joy.

I uninstall it again and installed version 10 again and everything works.

I have Windows 10 Pro 20h2 installed.  Is there anyone else getting the same issue with the new e-sword v13.0.0 release?

#2 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:16 PM

One new requirement is that you have Windows media player installed. See this post for instructions.

http://www.biblesupp...ge-3#entry40691

#3 AndreVonRhenen

AndreVonRhenen

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:13 PM

Thanks for this,  I will test the theory.  I had a issue with another app so decided to format my pc.  After format v13 is working again...will need to check if media player is active or not.  I do use Revo Unistaller to clean up windows, does a good job. 

#4 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 16 April 2021 - 06:21 AM

AndreVonRhenen, on 16 Apr 2021 - 06:13 AM, said:
Thanks for this, I will test the theory. I had a issue with another app so decided to format my pc. After format v13 is working again...will need to check if media player is active or not. I do use Revo Unistaller to clean up windows, does a good job.

Hi AndreVonRheenen, Thank you for providing your experience and solution.
If you look at https://www.e-sword.net/faq.html you will see that Rick Meyers has added an answer to a Frequently Asked Question "I just installed e-Sword 13 and it will not start!" Rick Meyers advises us that the legacy application Windows Media Player is necessary to be loaded, and also necessary to be made effective for the PC.. The Microsoft documentation "get-windows-media-player" from support.microsoft.com explains:
Windows Media Player 12 is available in Windows 10, included in clean installs of Windows 10, as well as upgrades to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 or Windows 7. In some editions of Windows 10, it's included as an optional feature that you can enable. To do so, select the Start button, then select Settings, Apps, Apps & Features, Manage optional features, Add a feature, Windows Media Player, and select Install.

If you want to reinstall Windows Media Player, (Windows Media Player 12 is the current version), try the following:
1. Click the Start button, type features, and select Turn Windows features on or off. If your PC security, User Access Control, asks you, "Do you want to allow this to make changes to your device?" Then select the "YES" option, by moving the cursor over the YES option, and left-click. Then find the "Windows Features" in the task bar. Select that option. Microsoft has been moving some security features from the Control Panel to the Settings option on the PC, and adding additional security checks when it processes downloaded files.
In the Windows Features pop-up screen, read from the top line, and read all the instructions carefully. Notice the instructions, which explain that to turn a feature ON, we must select its checkbox; that means, left-click with the pointer hovered over the check box and get a tick inside that box. To turn a feature OFF, clear its checkbox; that means tap the check box while the pointer is hovered over the check box, to remove the tick mark. A filled box means that only part of the feature is turned on.
Now, in the "Windows Features" pop-up screen, use the slider on the right side of the screen, and Scroll down and expand Media Features, and see whether the Windows Media Player check box is selected. If it is, clear the check box. This means that in the sub-folder, clear the Windows Media Player check box, so that the tick is removed, and click OK. Please check that you do not have open files which you are editing, on your PC, which you have not saved. Preferably save and close all the other open files. Restart your device. This will remove your current version of Windows Media Player.
2. Now, after your PC has restarted, repeat this series of options, but this time we want to "select" the Windows Media Player again. Click the Start button, type features, and select Turn Windows features on or off. Follow on-screen prompts, and allow changes to occur. In the Windows Features pop-up screen, read from the top line, and read all the instructions carefully. Notice the instructions. To turn a feature ON, select its checkbox. To turn a feature OFF, clear its checkbox. A filled box means that only part of the feature is turned on.
Use the slider on the right edge of the Windows Features pop-up screen, Scroll down and expand the option for Media Features, so that you see the sub-option, which is for Windows Media Player. Move your pointer into the Windows Media Player option, and select the Windows Media Player check box, by moving the pointer over the check box, and left-click. We want the selection tick to be showing again. Then left-click the OK button. Restart your device. This will reinstall the latest version of Windows Media Player for your system. (Windows Media Player 12, with a few exceptions).

Microsoft also explains in "Windows Media Player 12" that :
To manually troubleshoot or upgrade your installation of the Player, try the following:
Click the Start button, type features, and then select Turn Windows features on or off. Expand Media Features and see whether the Windows Media Player check box is selected. If it is selected, with a tick in the selection box, then move the pointer into that box, and left-click, to clear the check box, and remove the selection tick. This will unselect the option. Move the cursor to left-click on the OK button, and then restart your PC. This will remove your current version of Windows Media Player.
After your PC has restarted, again Click the Start button, type features, and then again select Turn Windows features on or off. Expand Media Features and select the Windows Media Player check box, so that there will be a tick in the selection box. This will then have a tick in the box. Move the pointer and left-click on the OK button, and then restart your PC. This will make the PC reinstall the latest version of Windows Media Player for your system (Windows Media Player 12, with a few exceptions). Note: Windows Media Player isn't available for Windows RT 8.1.

Windows Media Player 12 is included in clean installs of Windows 10. That correlates with your experience.

e-Sword version 13.0.0 now has two different audio components. Audio Sermons are provided from Sermon Audio https://wwww.sermonaudio.com/main.asp and Audio Bibles are provided from bible.is which now forwards the user to https://www.faithcom...ources/bible-is and on that website you need to scroll down to see the different details of available resources to hear the Bible aloud, which has been recorded in a language into which the Bible has already been translated. Internet access is required.
Both these options require that the Windows 10 (64-bit) PC needs to be loaded, and the options need to be implemented which will turn Windows features ON for the selection of the legacy Windows Media Player.

HINT: To obtain this Start, Settings, Windows features, Turn Windows features on or off, select option "Media Features" and select the option "Windows Media Player" so that this has a tick in the selection box;

also select the option "Legacy Components", and also select the option "Direct Play".
If we have changed options, we need to RESTART the PC, so that the PC will get its memory updated as well.

HOW TO CHECK THAT WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER HAS BEEN IMPLEMENTED. In Windows 10, from Start, Settings, Apps, Apps & features, look for the entry (probably at the top of the page), left-click to select the option optional features; Respond to the security prompt with "Yes", and browse down to see the Installed features. The listed apps need to include "Windows Media Player". Check that this is listed in the Installed Features. I find that the option "Windows Media Player" is there, and it has the explanation "Play audio and video files on your local machine and on the internet." There is also an "Uninstall" button. We do NOT want to uninstall this now, just to check that the option is here. Back out of this option window by returning to previous windows in the series, or by clicking the "Close" button icon with the "X" in the extreme top right corner of the window.
I also found it helped when downloading files, if I also unselect the option to "Windows Defender Application Guard," because this has been deprecated by Microsoft.
Thanks again for your report. You must have missed seeing the FAQ details provided by Rick Meyers on his website.

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 15 July 2021 - 01:46 AM.

#5 emeth

emeth

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2023 - 09:58 PM

I also have windows pro 10 and esword 13 would not open, I had to download an older version to make it work again. I tried everything, I think it had something to do with windows pro 10.

#6 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 02 July 2023 - 10:27 PM

I also have windows pro 10 and esword 13 would not open, I had to download an older version to make it work again. I tried everything, I think it had something to do with windows pro 10.

http://www.biblesupp...not-open/page-4

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#7 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 12:06 PM

You need to have Windows Media Player installed and active on your PC 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users