Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Paleo Hebrew

27 replies to this topic

#21 YahsScriptures

YahsScriptures

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 08:41 AM

First problem is that there appear to be two (or more) fonts. One called Paleo-Hebrew and the better one called Paleo Hebrew, and it downloads as Paleo Hebrew Regular.ttf

Problem is that this is not a valid Unicode font. The maker has, as it were, simply drawn these Paleo-Hebrew glyphs in place of Latin hwhy. Of course these are typed in left-to-right in this font.

So no font setting in e-Sword will work to solve this. ToolTipToolNT does not have the ability to hard-code the font, without the use of a macro, and due to the death of Brent Hildebrand, I don't know of anyone else that can write the macro, so it has to be done the long way.

Make your Bible as a .bbli Module(4) which is html format. 

Where you want to show your Paleo Hebrew font, I suggest you put these markers [P]and[p] as per this example(Capital P and small p are used)

÷Gen 1:1 This is a test using Paleo Hebrew font Paleo Hebrew Regular.ttf not the PALEO.TTF [P]hwhy[p]

Build the module

Close T4

Open the .bbli file in "DB Browser for SQLite"

Click on the Execute SQL tab

Paste in this code

update Bible set Scripture = replace(Scripture,'[P]', '<font face="Paleo Hebrew">') where Scripture like '%[P]%';
update Bible set Scripture = replace(Scripture,'[p]', '</font>') where Scripture like '%[p]%';

Click on Execute SQL

Click on Write Changes

Click on Close Database

All should be fixed to hard coded tags for the Paleo Hebrew font

attachicon.gifPHebrew.jpg

https://sqlitebrowser.org/dl/

Thank you very much! This worked perfectly! 

#22 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 09:33 AM

Very happy that you got it working.

#23 YahsScriptures

YahsScriptures

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 05:13 PM

Do you know how to get Paleo Hebrew on a android version of e-Sword?

#24 gwitter

gwitter

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2023 - 06:40 PM

Where can I get, find, a paleo Hebrew font that will work with the latest version (13) of e-Sword.  Seem all of the ones I have e-Sword will not accept.  As they are not TT fonts
Any suggestions.

#25 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 October 2023 - 07:29 PM

Where can I get, find, a paleo Hebrew font that will work with the latest version (13) of e-Sword.  Seem all of the ones I have e-Sword will not accept.  As they are not TT fonts
Any suggestions.

The Paleo Hebrew font that APsit190 (Stephen) posted a link to earlier in this forum topic on 24 September 2023 is a TrueType font that works with e-Sword for Windows PC version 13.  I'll repost the link here:

https://hebrewfonts....-hebrew-regular

ElderB

Edited by ElderB, 07 October 2023 - 07:31 PM.

#26 YahsScriptures

YahsScriptures

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 08:20 AM

So our module is now completed.  However I can't figure out how to get the Paleo Hebrew on the android version. 

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

#27 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 12:12 AM

So our module is now completed.  However I can't figure out how to get the Paleo Hebrew on the android version. 

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

That is going to be very challenging because you can't just add a TrueType font to Android readily like you can in Windows.  The system fonts that are supplied with a typical Android device don't include any Paleo Hebrew fonts that you could reference using HTML in your Bible module.  As far as I am aware, there is only one module on e-Sword for Android that has an archaic font, and that is the AHLB Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible.  This AHLB module is downloadable from within e-Sword for Android.  When I asked Rick Meyers how I could create a module using a special font in a manner similar to the AHLB module, Rick responded that he created the fonts himself for the Apple and Android platforms as the Windows fonts did not work on them.  This leads me to believe that Rick created a special application font asset just for that e-Sword for Android AHLB module and this application font isn't available to other Android applications on the system.  This is the other part of the challenge, because you can't just add a TrueType application font asset to e-Sword for Android either.  In fact, e-Sword for Android as you are probably already well aware doesn't appear to have any user font option selections.

ElderB

#28 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 December 2023 - 03:10 PM

Actually there is an Android system font that has characters very similar to Paleo Hebrew.  That font is Noto Sans Phoenician.  You would need to find the individual Noto Sans Phoenician characters that you wanted to use and copy them into the Bible module at the appropriate places.  I'll try to attach a screenshot of an example of working with this font in Microsoft Word.

HTML for e-Sword for Android would be something like:

<p style="font-family:'Noto Sans Phoenician'">𐤉𐤄𐤅𐤄 </p>

I've been poking around some more, and I believe that Rick Meyers did include (after modification?) some of Jeff Benner's Hebrew fonts with e-Sword for Android, including Semitic Modern, Semitic Late, Semitic Middle, and Semitic Early.  Semitic Middle is probably closest to Paleo Hebrew.  These fonts should also be accessible to other e-Sword for Android modules. 

HTML for e-Sword for Android would be something like:

<p style="font-family:'Semitic Middle'">efei </p>

(Ensure that Semitic is spelled correctly -- and not misspelled as Semetic)

ElderB

Attached Files

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users