Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

retrieving and importing my study notes into e-sword 2021

10 replies to this topic

#11 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 21 December 2023 - 03:31 AM

The following notes apply to e-Sword for the PC. I do not know my way around on a mobile device where the location of the files may be on another series of folders.
Some of the Apple devices are apparenty locked down, on propietary folders, to try to ensure their users do not hack into their files. If that occurred Apple support staff would not necessarily be able to answer your queries.

On the Windows PC, using e-Sword for the PC:
If the *.topx notes are in the directory folder shown in e-Sword for the PC, on the tab, named "Options" > "Resource Options", Resources Location, for example: C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword\ then these *.topx files can be seen from the list of Reference Books, in the Reference Library. HINT: If you see the files in the folder when using File Explorer but not when using e-Sword Topic Editor, check the Properties of the file, on the "Security" option, and look at the linked Group or User Names who is allowed to access that file. Perhaps you have login to your PC on a different username, and each username has their own variety of C:\User\your username\Documents\e-Sword folder where their own personal *.topx files were saved.  

If the *.topx notes or the *.notx files are in your personal User Files Location, for example: C:\Users\user\Documents\e-Sword\ then these *.topx files and *.notx files can be seen if these are linked to that folder in "Options" > "Resource Options", > User Files Location. The "user" name in the path to the folder, might have changed, when you login to your PC with a different user name.

I suggest that you use the File Explorer, and see if you can access the different folders under This PC > Windows (C:) > Users
and then check in all the various options, for all the users, which you may have used to access e-Sword. Browse to their relevant > Documents > e-Sword folders. Then look at the Properties of this folder. In the Properties, under "Security", Add the user "Everyone", and give all access rights to this user named "Everyone". Then decide where you want e-Sword to be able to view these files in future. Set that decision in the folder shown in the directory box in "Options" > "Resource Options" > User Files Location. Move the files if necessary, to the correct folder. 

When you are in the Topics Notes Editor, or in the Study Notes Editor, you can press the keyboard CTRL key, and hold it down while you press the Right Click on the mouse button, or the equivalent part of the mousepad on a laptop. You will find the options "New", "Open", "Import", "Export", and can actually browse around the folders in your PC to see the names of which files are in the different folders. Then you can access the files there, if you have Properties, "security" access to access the folder, and to see files in that folder, and the files have properties, security access to allow your username to access that file. 

You'll probably find the missing *.topx files or *.notx files in a folder under the name of a different "user" name, and its relevant > Directory > e-Sword folder. With "Everyone" now able to access this directory folder, you should be able to see the list of files. In future, try to pay attention to which user name you use to login to the PC, and the username you used when you set up the e-Sword profile, last time you reloaded e-Sword. I find it useful to actually write down how I login, and all the passwords applicable, in a physical notebook, and try to keep the PC happy by using the correct LOGIN and PASSWORD every time. Here is South Africa, where the national access to electric power is turned off in different areas of the country, for many hours, at different times, internet access is not stable, and is slow, and that makes for hassles. If your internet is causing problems, try to access the internet using a different browser.

I find I still get puzzled by the LOGIN to Microsoft, when that is not on the USERNAME I thought was the current user login to the PC. I hope these hints might enable you to find the missing *.topx files you had created for yourself.

If you want to rename a *.topx file, or a *.notx filename, do it by browsing to the folder, and edit the filename manually. Then remember to go to this renamed file, and edit the "chapter" name inside this Topic file, as required.

HINT: I'm starting to add an index page at the beginning of a topic file, as this is useful to help to identify the different sections in the Topic file (which will be sorted in numerical-alphabetical order when you close the editor and reopen the file again. And then, inside each "chapter" or topic, by adding the heading at the beginning of the details of the content, at the beginning, also makes the content more user friendly, than just having the heading as the "chapter" or "topic" entry, inside the *,topx file, and the text beginning without any headings. You may have noticed that in most Bibles, in addition to the "Index" at the beginning of the Bible, with the names of the Book, you have the name of the book as an option that will usually be indicated in the Page heading, and the name of the book of the Bible is repeated in the Beginning of the book, at the beginning of Chapter One, and not only in the running Page Heading of the printed page.

Some Bibles seem to have trouble to identify how to identify the content that appeared as footnotes, and headings between the psalms, for example. Some Bibles, such as using Hebrew verse numbering, often used by Catholic Bibles, number this as verse 1 of the subsequent psalm. The KJV, using Greek verse numbering, adds these notes as a heading and without numbering it as a separate verse number, at the top of the subsequent psalm. The KJV-1611 added in short summaries of the contents of the chapter, similar to the e-Sword "Option", "View", Bible Pericope. The added "Amen" at the end of certain books of the Bible, and notes about where the books were available to be obtained from scriptoriums where the manuscripts were being expertly copied and distributed, are often not attached at the end of Bible Books as an appendix to the last verse, where these details appear in the KJV-1611 Bible. 

If you have purchased a physical copy of The Englishman's Hebrew and Chaldee Concordance of the Old Testament, numerically coded to Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, by George V. Wigram such as published by Baker Book House, right at the end there is a Table of the Variations of Chapters and Verses of the Hebrew and English Bibles. In the table, the English notation of chapters and verses is given first. The different notation of the Hebrew (as found in Van der Hooght's Bible) follows in a parenthesis. An asterick (*) marks a few places in which a verse only differs in part in the Hebrew and English texts.

The Psalms were all originally written in Hebrew and were translated centuries later into Greek. For that translation the Hebrew Psalms 9 and 10 and the Hebrew Psalms 114 and 115 were each joined into one, bur conversely the Hebrew Psalms 117 and 147 were divided into two. This means that from Psalm 10 to 148 the numbering of the Hebrew is one higher than that of the Greek. Many Catholic editions of the Bible (following the Latin Vulgate) preserve the Greek numbering, while Protestant writing and liturgy (such as used in e-Sword in the references to verses in the KJV Bible, Commentaries, and Dictionaries) revert to the original Hebrew numbering. 

HINT: I usually annotate my Bibles for the books where there is only one chapter, by adding the heading CHAPTER ONE, as that's how we need to identify the verses in that chapter, when we access those verses in e-Sword. For example, in the four books, Obadiah, 2 John, 3 John, and Jude. Adding in the computer cross references in old *.topx files, downloaded from Bible Support, is quite a task, as often the reference is written in text, and not in the abbreviated reference format, and was not noticed by the previous Bible Support submitter of the *.topx or *.topi module. It's actually a full time task to make a Bible, and a *.topx file, "user friendly". I have much more appreciation now of the careful thought by the translators of the KJV-1611 Bible, than I have for many of the modern Bibles, which even get their page headings jumbled up. For example the page headings in AFRICAN WOMEN DEVOTIONAL BIBLE, Copyright by United Bible Societies, 2020, using ESV Text Edition 2016, text copyright 2001 by Crossway - in the pages of the Book of Hebrews. There the task was done by the Bible Society of Kenya, typesetting was done in Denmark, and the printers were in China, so maybe they could not read the chapter numbers which have been indicated in modified Arabic numbers where they replaced one "1" with a capital "I", and so the running chapter heading on the even numbered pages is stuck at "Hebrews 1-2", with the running heading on odd numbered pages stuck with the content "Hebrews 2-3", and the layout designers and the final text editor not sure whether to add page headings on pages where there is an inserted extra biblical material by women contributed from Bible Societies in Africa. This is sometimes below the running page headings, sometimes it is positioned right to the top of the page. 

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 24 December 2023 - 09:49 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users