Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

"Compound" AND / OR search in Commentary & Dictionary

12 replies to this topic

#1 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:47 PM

Hello.  Can I perform a compound and / or search that looks something like this:

Term #1 AND (Term #2 OR Term #3).

In other words, I want to combine the power of both "AND" and "OR" searching in a single search--not just one or the other.

Thank you.

#2 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:20 AM

This is Disjunction OR (either OR both) in the logical gates.

Select "Search for any of the words" and type:

Jesus Christ

in a traditional English translation. The result:
Mat 1:1 Jesus Christ
Mat 1:17 Christ
Mat 1:21 Jesus

1Co 15:31 Christ Jesus

The AND(Conjunction: only both is true) in the logical gates has rather "Jesus Christ" AND "Christ Jesus"  as result.

Edited by Katoog, 24 May 2019 - 04:36 AM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#3 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:48 AM

You could probably use a Regular expression search.

#4 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:25 PM

Thanks both.  I'd like you to be more specific, if you can.  Show me exactly what to type in Commentary or Dictionary search to find "Abraham" AND ("knife" OR "wood").

That is, I want to find any commentary note / dictionary article that has both "Abraham" and "knife," OR which has both "Abraham" and "wood."

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:10 PM

Thanks both.  I'd like you to be more specific, if you can.  Show me exactly what to type in Commentary or Dictionary search to find "Abraham" AND ("knife" OR "wood").

That is, I want to find any commentary note / dictionary article that has both "Abraham" and "knife," OR which has both "Abraham" and "wood."

In Chapter 22 of the e-Sword User's Guide, there is a very comprehensive help on how to use Regular Expressions in e-Swords Search. Either press the F1 key of click on Contents in the Help menu to bring up the User's Guide. All you need to do is simply follow the instruction shown, and you (hopefully) can't go wrong.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#6 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:13 AM

Something like this should work. Do look at the help, to understand it.

Abraham\b[^.]+\b([Kk]nife|[Ww]ood)\b

Edited by JPG, 26 May 2019 - 02:22 AM.

#7 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:44 AM

JPG, this is very helpful, and thank you so much.  I have an older version of e-Sword, and I use an older user guide, but none of this jumped out at me.  Thus, I really appreciate your taking the time to give me exactly what I need.

One more question: I use "search tags" in my notes, which I've formatted for e-Sword's commentary pane.  For example, at the end of verse notes that address issues of eternal life, I may use the searchable tag "s16".  Then, I may use a tag "s17" for notes related to spiritual gifts.

Let's say I want to find all notes / verses with the word "works" AND either "s16" OR "s17".

I already know how to find "works" AND "s16" together.  That is easy.  But I want to be able to find "works" AND "s16" or "works" AND "s17"

I've tried tinkering with your Abraham\b[^.]+\b([Kk]nife|[Ww]ood)\b to meet my needs, but it isn't working under "Regular Expressions".  Can you give me the *exact thing* I would type in the search to satisfy my need here?

Thanks so much.

#8 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:57 AM

I've tried tinkering with your Abraham\b[^.]+\b([Kk]nife|[Ww]ood)\b to meet my needs, but it isn't working under "Regular Expressions".  Can you give me the *exact thing* I would type in the search to satisfy my need here?

Thanks so much.

With the search Abraham\b[^.]+\b([Kk]nife|[Ww]ood)\b found I four verses using the KJV. It is possible that you have one result or zero if you use a space before Abraham or after the last \b

Using e-Sword 11.2.2 with the standard KJV

Gen_22:3  And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him.

Gen_22:6  And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together.

Gen_22:9  And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.

Gen_22:10  And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.

4 verses found, 4 matches

Genesis

4 verses found

4 matches

#9 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:59 AM

The problem with Abraham\b[^.]+\b([Kk]nife|[Ww]ood)\b is that it stops by a period.

With this found I five verses in the KJV and ESV (instead of 4 and 3).

Abraham\b[^?]+\b([Kk]nife|[Ww]ood)\b

Edited by Katoog, 26 May 2019 - 11:00 AM.

#10 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 11:04 AM

I did limit it to a sentence on purpose  <_<

At the time it made sense to do so. But now I am getting a fuller picture via PM, other requirements have been noted...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users