Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Is this really eSword for Android?

11 replies to this topic

#11 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

hi Tim, can you please give me an example of what you mean about the Hebrew?

I might be able to make something that will help you.

Thanks

The Greek New Testament
Stephanus Textus Receptus with accents, interlinear, Strong's numbers and parsing info is one of the few available Bibles with morphology/parsing information as well as Strong’s’ Numbers.

(John 8:20 TRi) Ταῦτα These G5023 D-APN τὰ G3588 T-APN ῥήματα Words G4487 N-APN ἐλάλησεν Spoke G2980 V-AAI-3S ὁ G3588 T-NSM Ἰησοῦς Jesus G2424 N-NSM ἐν In G1722 PREP τῷ The G3588 T-DSN γαζοφυλακίῳ Treasury, G1049 N-DSN διδάσκων Teaching G1321 V-PAP-NSM ἐν In G1722 PREP τῷ The G3588 T-DSN ἱερῷ• Temple; G2411 N-DSN καὶ And G2532 CONJ οὐδεὶς No One G3762 A-NSM ἐπίασεν Took G4084 V-AAI-3S αὐτόν Him, G846 P-ASM ὅτι For G3754 CONJ οὔπω Not Yet G3768 ADV ἐληλύθει Had Come G2064 V-LAI-3S ἡ G3588 T-NSF ὥρα G5610 N-NSF αὐτοῦ His Hour. G846 P-GSM

As an example of how handy the parsing info is the verb “Teaching” in John 8:20 shows not only the tense mood and voice, but also the case number and gender. Case: Nominative (subject; predicate nominative)
Number: Singular

V-PAP-NSM
Part of Speech: Verb
Tense: Present
Voice: Active
Mood: Participle
Case: Nominative (subject; predicate nominative)
Number: Singular

Having this information allows us to see where the He came from…(He taught) not inserted for clarification, but stated in the conjugation of the verb

(John 8:20 NASB) These words He spoke in the treasury, as He taught in the temple; and no one seized Him, because His hour had not yet come.

There are resources that contain similar conjugation information for the Hebrew, just none for e-Sword.

Edited by Tim Butterfield, 22 February 2014 - 06:54 PM.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#12 Listtome

Listtome

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

This would be very complicated for the Hebrew text, and I think this is what Tim is expressings.

The Hebrew languages use of homographs, and it not using Tenses in the same way as other languages, would involve an advanced literature writer and in-depth understanding of the usage of the ancient Hebrew languages. The ancient languages of Hebrew can maybe compared to an original style of music. For example, in the days of today there is Jazz, Rock, Blues, Classical. The language of ancient Hebrew is yet another style. It is for this reasoning that Hebrew is often a word by word exploration in books available to eSword while it is free.

Don't get me wrong. It is very possible to translate the ancient Hebrew, and we have a few amazingly good translations of the Bible available. There has not been as much studying of other languages as there has been of the languages of the Bible over many, many centuries. But the understanding of the Bible is not because of the skill of any mankind, it is because our Holy God, the Bible's Author, has allowed it to be revealed to us. -Daniel 2:22

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users