Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

greek concordance Help

5 replies to this topic

#1 chet

chet

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNiagara, WI

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

Does anyone know how to search for all English words that are translated for a particular Greek or Hebrew word, and then make a list of the English words, or make a  word list?

here is an example from another Bible program. Strong # 4336 this is a list of all English words translated from

4336 proseu,comai proseuchomai {pros-yoo'-khom-ahee}

Meaning: 1) to offer prayers, to pray

pray 42

prayed 25

praying 12

and 11

to 10

i 6

ye 5

he 4

make 3

prayeth 3

when 3

had 2

let 2

prayers 2

prayest 2

they 2

thou 2

we 2

will 2

for 1

him 1

prayer 1

shall 1

should 1

that 1

them 1

#2 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

H=Hebrew Strong number

G= Greek Strong number

G4336 are the words from the root of "pray".

A dictionary like King James Concordance or Strong or Thayer’s Greek Definitions

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#3 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

There is a King James Concordance module that is keyed to Strongs numbers that lists the verses (and how translated) for the Strong's numbers (I think it is the one in the built in downloader)

there is also a Thayer's with KJV analysis module:

http://www.biblesupp...h-kjv-analysis/

Either or both would do what you seem to be looking for.

There is also a pretty amazing module that combines Strong's with TMV, Thayer's and Brown Driver Briggs with a KJV occurrences/concordance

http://www.biblesupp...one-dictionary/

Hopefully one of these will serve your needs.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#4 chet

chet

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNiagara, WI

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Thank you! the Brown Driver Briggs with a KJV occurrences/concordance is awesome, just what I was looking for.

#5 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

Brown Driver Briggs is Hebrew, Thayer's is Greek, Strong's is both. ;-), but they are all keyed ti Strong's Numbers.

I suspect that you are referring to the combined, which is great, but do0n't neglect the concordances because they tend to be more complete (showed 90 entries for G4336 while the combined only showed 60).

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#6 chet

chet

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNiagara, WI

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

Yes I agree thank you so much, they are both very good. God bless you!

Chet

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users