Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

reinstalling eSword and books

13 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Arnold

Michael Arnold

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationShelbyville, Tennessee

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

Hello everyone. I am wondering if there is an easy way to reinstall eSword and all of the books I've downloaded. It is tedious work downloading everything one thing at a time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

Hello everyone. I am wondering if there is an easy way to reinstall e-Sword and all of the books I've downloaded. It is tedious work downloading everything one thing at a time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

If you have backed up your e-Sword and Document e-Sword directories,

Install e-Sword then copy all of the backed up files to the directories you took them out of for the back up.

(The two directories you need to copy are C:Program Files (x86)\e-Sword and

C:\Users\your name\Documents\e-Sword.)

Fairly fast and simple IF you backed up those two directories before you lost access to the hard drive you had them installed on.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#3 Michael Arnold

Michael Arnold

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

Thanks. What if I only have this one?...C:\Users\your name\Documents\e-Sword

Edited by Michael Arnold, 23 August 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#4 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

What if I only have this one?...C:\Users\your name\Documents\e-Sword

Then you have a weird install.  The C:\program file (X 86) \e-sword directory is where windows stores the e-sword executable file as well as all the bblx, cmtx, dctx mapx refx files as well as other "overhead" files.  The C:\users\yourname\e-sword\ directory stores the topx files as well as journal list files, mark up files and so on.

Be sure you are looking in the Program files (x86) directory as that is were the programs that run under 32 bit architecture are kept.  The Program Files directory with out the (X86) is for 64 bit architecture programs.

There is also the possibility that you are running an older version of windows that doesn't "do" 64 bit architecture.  

But either way there has to be a C:\Program Files\ e-sword directory.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#5 Michael Arnold

Michael Arnold

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

Yes I do have both directories but only one of those, C:\Users\your name\Documents\e-Sword, got backed up.

#6 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

Yes I do have both directories but only one of those, C:\Users\your name\Documents\e-Sword, got backed up.

Is there anything left in the directory that didn't get backed up?  If not there are programs that can attempt (with limited success) to "unerase" the files that were in there.

Otherwise  all of the Bible, Commentary, Dictionary, Reference Book, Maps and so on files will have to be reinstalled individually.

#7 Michael Arnold

Michael Arnold

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

I had to reinstall my operating system. I did not think it through well enough. Now that I know what to back up, reinstalling the next time won't be so bad. Looks like for now I must do the tedious work. Oh the life of a computer man. lol. Thank you so much for telling me which directories to back up. Have a great evening.

#8 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:47 AM

That is how most of us learn the importance of backing up certain directories. 

I use an 8 gig flash drive for my e-sword and document files.  It isn't so much backup as syncing my lap top and my desk top, but it serves the same function.

You do know that you can recover your product keys for the premium files you purchased don't you?

#9 Michael Arnold

Michael Arnold

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

No I did not know that. Thank you so much.

#10 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:25 AM

When you do the reinstall, open e-sword select the downloads tab(third from the right at the top of the e-sword window) scroll down the premium module section. Select the modules that you have purchased you will be offered a choice of purchase or recover product key.  From there it is merely a matter of fill out the form.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users