Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

How To Rename Reference Books, e.g. .refx formats?

5 replies to this topic

#1 VanHWhite

VanHWhite

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 09:47 PM

Someone made a great suggestion to rename books in your reference library to always start with last name of author and then conclude with descriptive words of their topics, such as Ephesians. That will enable searching for your topic of interest, instead of having to scroll through all your books. I did a number of books successfully. Then, I got down to "A Fourfold Salvation (Arthur W. Pink). this is an refx file type.

I tried renaming that file and it still showed up the same old way, ignoring my added topic description. 

Does anyone know how to rename the way the file appears in "Reference Library" so I can search by my added key words?

Thanks,

Van

PS, I have had NO trouble changing topx files. Also, I tried another refx file and it changed properly.

#2 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 October 2023 - 07:47 AM

Hello VanHWhite, I suggest that you browse across and take a look into the contents of the folder where you have your files, and sort them in filename order. This PC > Windows (C:) > Program Files (x86) and to the folder in which you have the latest e-Sword Resourse Location files. You need to check that you have authorization on your login name to be able to edit filenames in that folder.

Rick Meyers advises that we modify the Permissions of the folder, to provide full access to the user "Everyone" who we should provide with full access to all files in that folder.

Check whether there is another file that has already been created with the same filename that you were trying to create in that folder with your attempt to rename one of the existing filenames. You can always append ".old" at the end of an existing filename, to remove a specific file from being picked up next time you run e-Sword, while still being able to go back to restore the filename again if necessary.

Look at the date when the file was last modified, because the access to write to various Topic files with the Topic Editor has been changed in recent updated versions of e-Sword, providing us with access to additional characters with the extensions to the letters as are needed in the non-English alphabet, which are used in other European alphabets.

So if you compare the contents of the *.topx and the *.refx files, with similar file names, you could move the *.topx file to your current User Files Location, so that you can edit it with your Topic Notes Editor, and then re-save it in refx format. I see I have Pink, Arthur W. - A Fourfold Salvation.topx with Date 2009-05-13
and another Pink, Arthur - A Fourfold Salvation (wlue777).topx dated 2012-07-17. and
Pink, A.W. - a_fourfold_salvation.refx dated 2022-07-22 and another,
a-fourfold-salvation.refx dated 2023-05-19.

So there have been a number of different downloads provided for the content with the same name. Perhaps you cannot change it if the owner is Administrator and you are not accessing the filename as login with the Administrator username access.
Please remember you can tap your pointer into the e-Sword open page on your PC, then tap "F1" function key to call up
the e-sword_guide.pdf Please read page 2 to see the difference between the ".topx" file and the ".refx" files as from e-Sword for Windows version 10.4.

Let us know your solution to this interesting occurrence.

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 15 October 2023 - 07:49 AM.

#3 VanHWhite

VanHWhite

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 03:44 PM

Hi Olaf,

Thanks for all your evaluation of my dilemma. I found out that I could indeed rename the refx filename within C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword to my liking. I did that to put last name first, then first name, then title, then pertinent subject matter. However, when I restarted e-Sword the reference document again showed up with the prior non-descriptive filename; it didn't have the last name or first name as just changed on the filename. 

Fortunately, I came up with a crude work-around. I used e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT and created a new reference document. That references the old non-descriptive filename. Then I save that as a topx file with my desired complete filename. That is an empty file, but it is at least searchable by title, and it tells me where to find the actual file with content. 

Eventually, I'll go through all my hundreds of references and rename them if possible, or else make a new .topx file that is searchable and points to the actual content-containing file. 

For anyone new to this discussion, I am referring to my desire to locate references by searching for specific words within the title. To do that, from within e-Sword click the far right icon "Reference Library." Then click within the upper right field and type the word you want to locate, for example "Ephesians." Then all the references that are entitled "...Ephesians..." will appear as reference choices. That way you don't have to scroll through hundreds of references, if you have a lot. (But first, the title of the reference must include, "Ephesians," for example.)

Van

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 28 October 2023 - 07:56 PM

Someone made a great suggestion to rename books in your reference library to always start with last name of author and then conclude with descriptive words of their topics, such as Ephesians. That will enable searching for your topic of interest, instead of having to scroll through all your books. I did a number of books successfully. Then, I got down to "A Fourfold Salvation (Arthur W. Pink). this is an refx file type.

I tried renaming that file and it still showed up the same old way, ignoring my added topic description. 

Does anyone know how to rename the way the file appears in "Reference Library" so I can search by my added key words?

Thanks,

Van

PS, I have had NO trouble changing topx files. Also, I tried another refx file and it changed properly.

If you wish to rename the Title of the Book on the front page, you can't because the refx file is locked. But if you wish to the last name, first name or initials, and then the title, this can be done simply by renaming the filename in Windows Explorer.

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 31 October 2023 - 10:24 PM

Here is a reply from Rick Meyers <rick@e-sword.net> about the renaming of a filename. 

Renaming a file will do nothing to change its contents.  Renaming a file will simply change the order in which the file is read into the app's internal collection.  The "Details" table needs to be modified if you want to change the displayed title.

In His service,

Rick Meyers

rick@e-sword.net

e-Sword for the PC (https://www.e-sword.net/)

e-Sword for Android (https://www.e-sword.net/android/)

e-Sword X for the Mac (https://www.e-sword.net/mac/)

e-Sword HD for the iPad (https://www.e-sword.net/ipad/)

e-Sword LT for the iPhone (https://www.e-sword.net/iphone/)

the Sword of the LORD with an electronic edge

#6 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 05 November 2023 - 06:32 AM

in the e-Sword Reference Library, in e-Sword for Windows, there are three tab options, File, Edit, and Library.
When you select the Library option, there will be two options, [1] Search, [2] Extended Search.
If you select the Extended Search, you can select "all" the modules in the Reference Library, and search, for example, for the word "Galatians". 

Then you will be presented with a list of files, and the relevant sections, in which that word appears. This may be the quickest method to find the reference to a particular topic within the Reference Library contents. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users