Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Bible Analyser

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

POPULAR

I've recently learned of a program called Bible Analyser which, allegedly, can read modules from a number of different eSword-like programs. Has anyone else had a play with this program?

If it can read different module formats then it would be a good progression from eSword I wouldn't it? Or, maybe you've tried it and think differently?

#2 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

If you import with an e-Sword file then are the colours lost. I imported the RHB (2.5) beta with a Zefania file with colour-tags  and  single line-break tags into a special txt file 

It works while XML does not support this.

The problem with  Bible Analyser is to export files and the spaces for a layout.

Edited by Katoog, 26 April 2013 - 09:06 AM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#3 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

Yeah, it's one of the e-Sword clones that appeared trying to build on the functionality of e-Sword. The program seems good.

The problems I have with BA are:

1. Most public domain content we provide free, you have to buy for BA. I can't see any Bible study program, that competes with free Bible study programs, becoming overly popular unless it's also free. Most extended features of BA (that users really want to use) are also available in theWord (which is free).

2. Unless you make modules yourself, you will be in the author's tight theological grid. He's KJV only. So no NASB or NIV or... you name it. He's highly conservative, independent Baptist type. He's substantially more conservative than even Dr. Dave is (and that's not a knock on Dr. Dave, I agree with Dr. Dave on most things actually, it's just a reference point on the theological grid). So a lot of our modules will never be included there... at any price. If it disagrees with his theology, he won't include it (unless it's one he thinks has "study value" beyond the opposing theology). I'm not saying that's "bad", I'm just saying "it is". You're locked into his grid, especially on Bible translations.

3. The importer from e-Sword is bordering on terrible. Layout, fonts, colors, it's just... not good. I'm a perfectionist and it drove me absolutely crazy reading a module converted by BA. That pushes you into buying the public domain content they sell. If the converter worked very well, then you wouldn't need to buy much of the content. :) I know the author. I think I've said on more than one occasion  to him if he wants his program to be more popular like theWord (another more advanced Bible study program), then stop charging for content (i.e. it's holding your program back).

Plus Side: The program has a nice indexing feature, which looks through all of your modules. Then you can find every reference (quickly) to any verse. This index let's you use Topic or Book modules in a very different way (rather than being buried all the time, you will actually use them). I've suggested that this feature be included in theWord and theWord's author is receptive.

There's also a dozen other unique things, like audible pronunciation of words. And word mapping.  I found little value in these relative to the problems above. Yeah, it has a cool factor, but give up other Bible translations for it? And pay for public domain content? Balance that with how often will I use those features.

Other programs that are e-Sword clones?

theWord, which I run a website for. Good program. More advanced than e-Sword. They really don't compete because most who love e-Sword won't love theWord and vice versa (theWord isn't as simple to use, caters to a more advanced audience, offers a level of depth not in e-Sword but that makes it more complicated).

SwordSearcher. Probably the most polished program I've seen from a design perspective. The problem with SwordSearcher is all the points I listed above. The author is trying to make living by selling access to the software/modules, so public domain content is charged for and upgrade fees. Tight theological grid and KJV only. 

Online Bible - I think e-Sword was modeled after Online Bible. :) OB has been around since the 80s? I downloaded it once and it took me 20 minutes to learn to open a specific book. I deleted it. Too hard for me to use and I'm a "computer guy". Maybe other people had better experiences, though. Maybe it was just me.

#4 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

hi,

The way I look at it is the right hand is e-Sword and the left hand is the Word.  Most people are right handed (e-Sword is the most used free bible software).  The left hand is more detail with less people who are left hand (the Word a more detail free bible software.)  

If you really want to study the bible effectively you should use both software.  

thanks

Patchworkid 

Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

hi,

The way I look at it is the right hand is e-Sword and the left hand is the Word.  Most people are right handed (e-Sword is the most used free bible software).  The left hand is more detail with less people who are left hand (the Word a more detail free bible software.)  

I would agree with that.

What I've learned after two years of running this website is:

Most users SAY they want a whole list of features. But all they really need is a Bible READER program (not a true Bible STUDY program). 

They say they want a lot of functionality. But they also want the program to be very easy to use. The vast majority never do anything more than synchronize the text (synchronize Bible with commentary, view tooltipped verse text, lookup a dictionary word etc). That's a Bible Reader program. That key difference, especially the ease of use and "can the average joe figure it at a glance", is an area where a lot of software developers get lost.

#6 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

I used Online Bible for DOS exclusively from ca. 1993-2003. I loved it. But I had very few extra resources with it - and they were all "book" style (no commentary/dictionary modules like we understand today). Then someone put me on to eSword. Whoa.

I then exclusively used eSword for about 5 years. During that time I examined Logos/Libronix with a sample pack purchased at Sam's. It was excellent; but it's costs were prohibitive. I opted to make the "mental investment" to eSword, and never regretted it (not going to Logos).

In the Fall of 2011, I started serious experimentation with TW. By January of 2012, I had abandoned eSword. I now only use it like an "app" when creating modules for distribution. Although I no longer use eSword, I still build modules for it because conversion is so easy. I get to be a "double blessing" in module distribution.

Here's my take on these 4 software programs:

OLB - nice folks; but their module integration is not very good, and their module library is not very big. Cumbersome. There's really no reason to use it; eSword is a better program.

Logos/Libronix - excellent software; but you'll pay through the nose for it. This really is only for "professional" study. Written/supported for those involved in academia who are either 1) wrapped up in snob appeal (which is rampant in academia, even amongst Christian colleges/universities); or 2) need access to the latest publications for academic writing/study. For those willing to pay full publication price for every module they download and need "Cadillac" software, this is it. For those wanting professional Bible study software with classic (and free...) public domain materials, TW is almost as good. For the price difference, in my opinion, TW is just far better.

eSword - excellent software for those with limited computer skills (and unfortunately, most of us don't know who we are!) or those who are studying the English text of the Bible. For Bible reading, eSword is great (nothing really better). For personal devotions, eSword is excellent, and much better than logos or theWord. You read that right: for personal devotions, eSword is the best software available.

TheWord - my personal software of choice. Let's be clear: as much as Costas wants us to think that it is simple to use, unfortunately it is not. The reason for that is the level of customization. It can do so much that it is hard to grasp. The first three months I used TW, I tried to use it like eSword (old habits die a slow and painful death). As I learned the software, and especially the options that are attached to the Bible view (there are probably close to 100 different ways to configure the Bible window), I quickly fell in love with it. But - you've got to be very comfortable with your computer to maximize the use of theWord. But for those who are - wow! You're going to love it!

So....

Need to study the Bible professionally for academia? Bite the bullet and purchase everything through Logos. Ugh.

Need to study the Bible professionally for ministry? Learn how to use theWord, and you'll go deeper into the Word faster than you ever thought possible.

Need to study the Bible devotionally? Stick with eSword. It's devotional tools are excellent.

Now, that brings up an important area of overlap: which program do you use if you are a small group leader teaching adults? eSword is good, but theWord is better. If you're a layman or bi-vocational pastor, it probably comes down to personal computer skills (and not software capability). If you're good with a computer, then try TW. If you like for everything to work with a minimum number of mouse clicks, stick with eSword. (When friends want help with Bible software, I just about always recommend eSword. When colleagues talk about Bible software, I always talk about theWord.)

I hope this helps. It's been fun to write (and may end up as a blog post at my module website).

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#7 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

Studying the Bible's my way of and to life. The Bible gives me a multi-dimensional understanding of my Holy Father. (Ephesians 3:18, 19) I need to study to the depth of each 'dimension' - which is going to take me just about forever to do, give or take an infinite. ( Ecclesiastes 3:11; Romans 11:33-36) I've enjoyed everything I've learned to date, and I know that it is only going to get better.

I'm not so keen on the publications in eSword where the author has used the Bible to espouse his emotionalisms on something  or contradicts the Bible, so I generally prefer literature that lets the Bible speak for itself, which it is very capable of doing. So, I go for dictionaries and commentaries that have a demonstrable explanation for what it's saying, or suggesting. The thought behind every word in the Bible was put there for a reason, like a necklace encrusted with a variety of Gems placed by choice and design by the Great Jeweller. I want to know what each jewel is and means, and what the composition of these teach me about the whole.

I would like any and every reference work that allows the Bible to speak.  So, I'm going to give my left hand a chance and download TheSword and see what that has to offer too. :)

#8 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

He's substantially more conservative than even Dr. Dave is (and that's not a knock on Dr. Dave, I agree with Dr. Dave on most things actually, it's just a reference point on the theological grid).

Still considering whether or not I "like" this....

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

Still considering whether or not I "like" this....

Could have been better worded maybe. I was trying avoid painting all independent fundamental Baptists with the same brush or giving the impression that I didn't like the IBF's. There's quite a bit of variety: some KJV only, some not, some educated very well, some not so much, some believing in some sort of holiness doctrine like Pentecostals, etc. 

#10 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

I used e sword for years.  I made the switch to theWord 3+ years ago due to the features in theWord that e sword did not have at the time.  I would not want to go back now.  theWord is harder to learn how to use, but far superior in functionality.

I also must confess that I am now a heavy user of BA alongside theWord.  The new library referencer is extremely valuable for me.  However, to make it useful you have to know how to use a lot of tools to make your own modules in a way that will be friendly to BA.  I am able to convert any Kindle book I buy to BA for personal use.  To do do this efficiently you have to know how to use several tools well as well as spend a little money.  I can also convert most public domain content available for e sword.  BA is not for everyone due to reasons Josh mentions above.  I could not wait for the library reference feature and I did not want to spend thousands on Logos to achieve the same thing.  I now have thousands of volumes indexed to scripture reference.  If theWord gets this feature soon, then it is arguable whether or not it was worth all the effort I put in. 

In addition to the library reference, BA has also added a nice Bible themes tab.  Other useful features are currently in the works for BA.

As far as non KJV Bibles go... LEB, NET, and ISV are now available for BA with the translation notes.  I believe NASB will be available for purchase at some point.

One selling point for some is that BA runs native on MAC and Linux.

For the reasons Josh lists above, BA is not for everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users