Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Common features I wish e-Sword had...

25 replies to this topic

#11 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:10 PM

Can you guys speak in a language that is understandable to us common everyday computer users who are not technicians?

That probably is a reference to what I wrote.

Morphology:

This is the study of the units of the language, vocabulary, grammar, and syntax.
  • Sentence Diagramming;
This is breaking a sentence or paragraph up into the various parts of speech, and the creating a diagram that shows how those parts of speech connect together.
  • Word Clouds;
AKA tag clouds. This is an image that has words on them. The size of the word relates to how common the word is in the collection.
  • Lemmatization;
This is the process of converting words to their root. For example, running, ran, run, runner all lemmatize to "run".
  • Morphological analysis;
This gets into the parts of speech, and how they relate to each other.

Search:
  • Extended Skip Length Search;
This is a search for a word, but instead of the letters being next to each other, there are two or more letters between the letters in the term that is searched for. (This is often called "Bible Code" search.)
  • Proximity search that crosses chapter and verse boundaries;
Proximity search is searching for two or more words that are "near" each other. "Near" can mean within the same verse, or several verses apart.
  • Boolean Search: "OR";
This is a search for one or more terms, where the results can contain any term. For example a search for "Lord" or "God" will return verses that contain "Lord", verses that contain "God", but not verses that contain both terms.
  • Boolean Search: Parenthesis deliminators;
This is a way to restrict the terms that are found.
  • Gematria Value;
Each letter has a numerical value. Gematria Analysis finds out what the numerical value of the word is, and relates that word to other words with the same numerical value. (The best known example is 666 as the number of the beast.)

Other Stuff:
  • Parshiyot / Lectionary support;
Parshiyot are the Torah readings that are done each Shabbos. This is a one year cycle. Lectionary readings are the readings from the Bible that are done each Sunday These can be a one year, two year, or three year cycle.
  • On the fly Interlinear Bible construction;
This is a Bible that contains the text in the Biblical language, and a modern language, such as English. The English is a literal translation of the words in the Biblical language, and follows the word order and grammatical structure of the Biblical language.
  • On the fly Reverse Interlinear Bible construction;
This is an Interlinear Bible that uses the English, or other modern language as the base text, and displays the Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, etc as a literal translation of the English, using English word order.

"On the fly" means that the content is generated when the user selects the option. The "resource" exists only when generated by the user. There is no resource that can be shared with other users.

jonathon

#12 Toby Tarzwell

Toby Tarzwell

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

What about making e-sword files such as *.notx (Study Notes file), & *.topx (Topic Notes file) to be targeted to an alternate location such as a server. I spend a fair amount of time reconcilling these files between my laptop and desktop.

#13 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:03 PM

Hi Just a thought - try copying your study notes, topics (that is in My Documents e-Sword Folder) to a usb (flash drive) so you can carry them around with you. You will be able to open them in e-Sword program (Topic or Study Notes. I believe that what is in the Editors section - you can carry with you. I have not tried the Journal yet, but I know that you can use the Study notes and Topics.

thanks
Patchworkid
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#14 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

What about making e-sword files such as *.notx (Study Notes file), & *.topx (Topic Notes file) to be targeted to an alternate location such as a server. I spend a fair amount of time reconciling these files between my laptop and desktop.

Rephrased: You'd like to be able to synchronize your topical files and study notes between your computers.

Question:
Would you be willing to "baby sit" the synchronization? Tell e-Sword which content in each version you want to keep, and which content can be deleted?
The second option is for synchronization is to simply merge data, ignoring the fact that you deleted that content, and no longer want it.
A third option would be to delete new content that you want.

jonathon

#15 quietdove

quietdove

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:43 AM

This is probably simple in that I don't know the whole technical side and either I can click on it or not.. That's about it for me. Kinda like the car, it takes gas, either it runs or it's broken...lol

But I would love to be able to highlight in my topix stuff, the books and so on, and even in the commentaries.

Or is that already possible and I just don't know how?

Sorry to bug everyone with non technical idiot computer person questions.

#16 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:40 AM

My want is a bit more modest. The feature I would like to have is the ability to search across all bibles for a particular word but just in the one verse in the compare tab.
Posted Image

#17 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

But I would love to be able to highlight in my topix stuff, the books and so on, and even in the commentaries.

Reference notes, journal notes, topical files , Bibles, commentaries, and dictionaries can be highlighted. With a mouse, mark the text you want to highlight. Then click on the highlight icon, or the underline icon.

What about making e-sword files such as *.notx (Study Notes file), & *.topx (Topic Notes file) to be targeted to an alternate location such as a server.

Gary Peterson ( http://www.countryke....com/wp/?p=3036 ) points out another option. Use Dropbox. With a shell script to download only changed content before the session, and another script that uploads content that was changed during the session, I think the process can be automated, without needing a babysitter.

jonathon

#18 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

My want is a bit more modest. The feature I would like to have is the ability to search across all bibles for a particular word but just in the one verse in the compare tab.

Workaround # 1: Extended Search.
  • Write the word in the search area.
  • Click on the wheel icon.
  • Select the book that the verse is in.
Workaround # 2: Messy:
  • Create a new page in a topical file;
  • Go to a Bible. Select the verse to be checked;
  • Go to the Compare Tab;
  • Select "All";
  • Select "Paste into Topical File";
  • Go to the Topical File;
  • Click on the binocular icon;
  • Type the word to search for;
jonathon

#19 quietdove

quietdove

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:16 AM

Reference notes, journal notes, topical files , Bibles, commentaries, and dictionaries can be highlighted.  With a mouse, mark the text you want to highlight.  Then click on the highlight icon, or the underline icon.

jonathon

</p>Ok, well, I feel really stupid now because I would have sworn that I tried to do that with the commentaries and the dictionaries and it didn't work, but lo and behold...it's working now.thanks for the answer, though I do feel ever so stupid.

#20 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

Another feature e-Sword should have. e-Sword should associate itself with it's own resource extensions (unless there's a conflict with another program). This way, when a user double clicks on a resource, e-Sword installs that resource and offers the user the chance to run e-Sword.

When e-Sword runs, e-Sword tells the user the module was installed and takes them to that module. So if a commentary was installed, that commentary tab becomes active. If a dictionary was installed, that dictionary tab becomes active. If a topic note was installed, that topic note becomes active.

What does this do? Well for one, it stops the "how do I install this module?" questions. And two, it stops the "I installed a module but it's not showing up." questions. This is a user friendly feature and no, I didn't think of this idea my own. I noticed it as a feature elsewhere.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users