Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

KJVA Missing Parts Of Apocrypha.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 S.k. Williams

S.k. Williams

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

I have a question about the King James Version With Apocrypha.

I love having the KJV with Apocrypha for my studies, and in fact the KJV is my Primary Bible to go to. However, I do wonder why parts of the Apocrypha aren't included that were in the original KJV.

Specifically, the additional chapters in Esther and Daniel aren't included in the KJVA Module, nor is the Prayer Of Mennassah. All of these were part of the original; KJV, and in fact, in the KJV1611 Module the additions to Esther and Daniel are present, though surprisingly not the Prayer Of Manasseh. I was wondering why the Additions to Daniel and Esther weren’t include din the KJVA Module, and why the Prayer Of Manasseh wasn't included in either module.

Thank you all in advance for any help in this area.

Edited by S.k. Williams, 01 December 2012 - 05:55 AM.

#2 S.k. Williams

S.k. Williams

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

Scratch that. Daniel 13 and 14 are also missing from both the KJVA Module and the KJV1611 Module.

While the KJV1611 Module does have the additions to Daniel 3, it doesnt include the remaining two chapters.

I think that both the KJV1611 and the KJVA Modules need to be amended to include these missing elements.

#3 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

You make some interesting points. I've never looked closely at e-Sword offerings for the KJV. Looking at the e-Sword 1769 KJV modules with Apocrypha, we don't have a complete, with Apocrypha, version of the 1769 KJV (otherwise known as the Authorized Version). The ones that claim to contain the Apocrypha are oddly missing chapters and in when a chapter is included, many are missing individual verses.

I see no value in repairing the official e-Sword 1611 with Apocrypha (it is missing the content you mentioned and more). It's old English and that's near useless me.

However, I would personally find it useful to have the 1769 KJV with Apocrypha, all the chapters and verses. So I'll make complete KJV with the Apocryphal books e-Sword supports.

I don't think Daniel 13-14, including Bel and the Dragon, was published for the 1769 version (?), so I'll plug some text in there since e-Sword supports it.

Edited by Josh Bond, 01 December 2012 - 04:57 PM.

#4 S.k. Williams

S.k. Williams

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Actually the KJV is not in Old English, its in Early Modern English. Old English is a language closer to German.

That said, thanks for the help. But the 1769 does actually contain Bel And the Dragon and Susanna. My Cambridge University Press with Apocrypha contains them and you can find the digital text at the University of Michigan site below.

http://quod.lib.umic...kjv/browse.html

I am learning how to make the Modules so will be making a few as well, when i learn how, but likely this won't be till next year. At the very earliest in January.

Edited by S.k. Williams, 01 December 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

e-Sword does not support Susanna or Esther 11-16. So there's no way to input the text. Same for Prayer of Azariah, no support from e-Sword--no where to put the text.

Also e-Sword renders Letter of Jeremiah as Baruch chapter 6. So that text will now be there as Baruch 6.

Edited by Josh Bond, 01 December 2012 - 07:21 PM.

#6 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Actually e-Sword supports a text area for Daniel 13-14. That's where Bel and the Dragon goes? Bel and Dragon is just one chapter? How does that work?

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Ok, I see now.

Susanna is Daniel chapter 13.

Bel and the Dragon is Daniel chapter 14.

#8 S.k. Williams

S.k. Williams

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Thats how most do ir, though some put Susanna as an extension of Daniel 1. I'd still reccomend placing it as Daniel 13.

May I ask what you will name the Module? Or will be just replace the KJVA module that already exists?

Also, the prayer of Azariah can be placed in Daniel chapter 3. The KJV1611 already does this. So does the Douay-Rheims version, thought he DR is not in Blue.

The prayer of Azariah is simply an addition to Daniel Chapter 3, and fits right after verse 23.

if I may suggest, it can be verse 24-90, with the following verses being set as 24 (91) and 25 (92).

Also, Esther can use the KJV1611 Template as well.

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

You said Azariah starts at Daniel 3:24? But canonical Daniel 3 runs to 3:30.

There's no where to put 6 Apocryphal chapters of Esther. The 1611 doesn't do it either--there's no database support for it.

#10 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

It looks like the prayer of Azariah was inserted between Canonical Dan 3:23 and Dan 3:24. So I could append these verses to Daniel 3:23--they won't appear as "real" verses and be selectable. They will just be appended to 3:23, like the way the KJV-1611 module does it. If we make them real verses, they then displace Canonical Dan 3:24-30.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users