Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

May I suggest/request?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

Just a suggestion that would make life easier for those of us that like to give accurate credit for quotations could all information be placed in the Information section of books so that it is available to users. I have been tasked with footnoting some work I am doing and several of the modules thus far have little info other than title and author.

Just a suggested format might run along this line: Jon Courson's Application Commentary, New Testament; Courson, Jon; Copyright 2003; Thomas Nelson; Nashville; E-sword version by estudysource.com (Format is not all that important if the info is present.)

I do not expect everyone to run along and change all existing modules so that all users can re-download them all (I am sure the servers would holler FOUL :-) just for future reference when new modules are created and revised.

Thanks for your time.

#2 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

"Here, here!" +1 for you!

When module makers first started making and posting digital modules, there was very little documentation as to where the text came from. Who knows if any of it was legitimate without sourcing? Also - there were plenty of early pirated modules posted. Who wanted to admit to piracy?

Modules built at DDT include copyright and text source info. Why? Because when you do research, you want to track down as much original source info as possible. Also, I try to let folks know what modifications I may have made to the original formatting (I try not to make changes to the text, except for obvious booboos).

I think you will notice that most of the contemporary modules built and distributed by the regulars here at Bibsup do the same thing. But your post is a great reminder. If we're going to be involved with distributing "publishable quality modules" (and not pump and dump garbage modules), then source info is a necessity.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#3 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

I am compiling a listing of info as I find it, I will be done in a few days and will post it so others that want to document their quotes can just copy and paste into their document.

Most of the recent modules I've checked do indeed have good information and I'm sure others have all they know on some of the older stuff.

No complaint, love the modules and all they do for me!! :-)

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

You both make great points. And it's a great reminder for us.

I personally like the idea of recreating the Title Page in the modules—a chapter called "Title Page" if it's a Reference Library module. All other modules, the title page info goes in the area visible in Commentary > Information, Bible > Information, Dictionary > Information, etc. I think I forgot this on Langes...

I like the title page because it has the original publisher, date of publication, full title, and other authors/editors. From that, one can easily determine if it's public domain. I never considered the citation aspect.

I've reviewed some older modules where it was completely unclear what the full title of the work was? Who wrote it, exactly? When there are similar books, it can be confusing. When there's multiple volumes and they aren't labeled, you're left guessing. I've spent some time scratching my head over the more vintage e-Sword modules. (And there's been a few times, on the formatting, where I said out loud: what were you thinking?)

#5 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

There was a thread some time ago about the proper way to format citations from e-sword modules in bibliographies and footnotes, but I cannot recall if it was on this site, the old site or the Yahoo group.

One person made the point that among the information should be that the information being cited was from an electronic source, because there are some times variations in some module's text either due formatting difficulties or difficulties in proof reading the OCR, or omissions in the material being converted..

Edited by Baunllaw, 15 November 2012 - 04:10 PM.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#6 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Baunlaw,

Here is a post I made at eSU in response to a question about footnoting digital material. The points I made haven't changed a bit (although the version numbers of eSword have...).

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#7 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

I knew that if I brought it up someone would remember where it was. And footnoted too. :D

Edited by Baunllaw, 15 November 2012 - 04:44 PM.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#8 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

E-sword resource listing: This was made up from the commentaries open for the book of I Corinthians. It is as complete as the information within the module has. Included at the end is a listing of Roman Numeral information for those that do not remember all that stuff we thought we'd never use when we were in school.

This will save time for anyone wanting a bibliography to work from.

101 CLEARED-UP CONTRADICTIONS IN THE BIBLE; Jay Smith, Alex Chowdhry, Toby Jepson, James Schaeffer; E-sword version

A CATHOLIC COMMENTARY ON HOLY SCRIPTURE; Orchard, Bernard; 1951; Thomas Nelson & Sons; London; E-sword version

A COMMENTARY OF THE NEW TESTAMENT FROM THE TALMUD AND HEBRAICA; Lightfoot, John; E-sword version

A COMMENTARY ON THE HOLY BIBLE; Coke, Thomas; between 1801 and 1803; E-sword version

A COMMENTARY ON THE HOLY BIBLE; Dummelo, J.R.; E-sword version

A COMMENTARY ON THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENTS; Trapp, John; Edited by: W. WEBSTER and HUGH MARTIN; E-sword version

A COMMENTARY ON THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENTS; by Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset and David Brown; E-sword version

ADAM CLARKE'S COMMENTARY ON THE BIBLE; Clarke, Adam LL.D., F.S.A; E-sword version

ALFORD GREEN NEW TESTAMENT; Alford; E-sword version

AN INTERPRETATION OF THE ENGLISH BIBLE; Carrol, B.H.; E-sword version

APOLOGISTS BIBLE COMMENTARY; Hommel, Robert; 2001-2005; http://www.forananswer.org; E-sword version

ASIMOV'S GUIDE TO THE BIBLE; Asimov, Isaac; 1981; E-sword version

BAKER'S NEW TESTAMENT COMMENTARY on I Corinthians; Kistemaker, Simon; 1993; E-sword version by estudysource.com

BARNES NOTES; Barnes, Albert; E-sword version

BELIEVER'S BIBLE COMMENTARY; Macdonald, William edited by Farstad, Arthur; 1995; Thomas Nelson Publishers; Nashville; E-sword version by estudysource.com

BIBLE QUERY; Christian Debater; 2006; http://www.biblequery.com; E-sword version

BONNELL'S COMBINED WORD BOOK; Bonnell, William S.; 2010; E-sword version

BRIDGEWAY BIBLE COMMENTARY; Fleming, Don; 2005; Brisbane; E-sword version

CALVIN'S COMMENTARY; Calvin, John; E-sword version

COMMENTARY BY RAY STEDMAN; Stedman, Ray; 2010; Compiled by Pellerin, Ray; Ray Stedman Ministries, raystedman.org; E-sword version

COMMENTARY OF LAPIDE; Lapide, John; Cornelius; E-sword version

COMMENTARY ON SELECTED BOOKS; McGarvey and Pendelton; E-sword version

COMMENTARY ON THE HOLY SCRIPTURES: Critical, Doctrinal, and Homiletical; Lange, John Peter; E-sword version

COMPANION BIBLE NOTES; Bullinger, E.W.; 2010; Timothy S. Morton of ###### software; E-sword version

COMPILED ALLUSIONS TO THE NEW TESTAMENT IN THE ANTE-NICENE FATHERS; E-sword version

CONCISE COMMENTARY; Gray James; E-sword version

CRITICAL AND EXEGETICAL COMMENTARY ON THE NEW TESTAMENT HANDBOOK; Heinrich August Wilhelm Meyer, Th.D., Oberconsistorialrath, Hannover Translated from the sixth edition of the German by Rev. Peter Christie the translation revised and edited by Frederick Crombie, D.D.; 1880; T. & T. Clark, 38 George Street; E-sword version

DR. ROBERT E. NEIGHBOUR'S WELLS OF LIVING WATER; Neighbour, Dr. Robert Edward; E-sword version

EXPOSITIONS OF HOLY SCRIPTURE; MacLaren, Alexander, D. D., Litt. D.; E-sword version

EXPOSITORY NOTES WITH PRACTICAL OBSERVATIONS ON THE THE NEW TESTAMENT OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST; Burkitt, William M.A.; E-sword version

FAMILY BIBLE - THE NEW TESTAMENT OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST WITH BRIEF NOTES AND INSTRUCTIONS; Edwards, Rev. Justin, D.D.; American Tract Society; 1861;New York; E-sword version

F. B. HOLE'S COMMENTARY ON THE NEW TESTAMENT AND SELECTED BOOKS OF THE OLD TESTAMENT; Hole, F.B.; E-sword version

GNOMON OF THE NEW TESTAMENT; Bengel, Johann Albrecht; E-sword version

GREAT NEW TESTAMENT GREEK COMMENTARY; E-sword version

GUZIK COMMENTARY; Guzik, David; 2006; E-sword version

HAYDOCK CATHOLIC BIBLE COMMENTARY; Haydock, George Leo; 1859; Edward Dunigan and Brother; New York; E-sword version

HODGE COMMENTARY ON FIRST CORINTHIANS; Hodge, Charles; E-sword version

HORÆ HOMILETICÆ: OR DISCOURSES DIGESTED INTO ONE CONTINUED SERIES, and forming a commentary upon every book of THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT; TO WHICH IS ANNEXED an improved edition of a translation of Claude’s Essay on the Composition of a Sermon; Simeon, Rev. Charles, M.A.; 1834; London; E-sword version

HORATIUS BONAR COMMENTARIES; Bonar, Horatius; E-sword version

ICC NEW TESTAMENT COMMENTARY; E-sword version

ILLUSTRATED NEW TESTAMENT; Abbot, John S. C. and Abbott, Jacob; E-sword version

INTERNATIONAL BIBLE SCHOOL STUDIES; Daugaard, Dennis; dennisdaugaard@dbmail.dk; E-sword version

IRONSIDE COMMENTARY ON SELECTED BOOKS; Ironside, Harry; E-sword version

JEWISH NEW TESTAMENT COMMENTARY; Stern, David; 1992; JEWISH NEW TESTAMENT PUBLICATIONS, INC. ; Clarksville, MD; E-sword version

JOHN DARBY'S SYNOPSIS OF THE NEW TESTAMENT; Darby, John; E-sword version

JOHN WESLEY'S EXPLANATORY NOTES ON THE WHOLE BIBLE; Wesley, John; E-sword version

JOHN GILL'S EXPOSITION OF THE ENTIRE BIBLE; Gill, Dr. John; E-sword version

JONATHAN EDWARDS' NOTES ON THE SCRIPTURES WITH A "COMMENTARY" ON HEBREWS; edited: John H. Gerstner; E-sword version

JON COURSON'S APPLICATION COMMENTARY, NEW TESTAMENT; Courson, Jon; Copyright 2003; Thomas Nelson; Nashville, E-sword version by estudysource.com

KEIL & DELITZSCH COMMENTARY ON THE OLD TESTAMENT; Johann (C.F.) Keil, Johann (C.F.) and Delitzsch, Franz; E-sword version

KELLEY COMMENTARY ON BOOKS OF THE BIBLE; Kelly; E-sword version

KEY WORD COMMENTARY: THOUGHTS ON EVERY CHAPTER OF THE BIBLE; AMG Publishers; Chattanooga; 2003 John Hunt Publishing Ltd; E-sword version by estudysource.com

LIFE APPLICATION STUDY BIBLE; 2004; Tyndale; E-sword version by estudysource.com

MARK DUNAGAN COMMENTARY ON SELECTED TEXTS; Dunagan, Mark; E-sword version

MATTHEW HENRY'S COMMENTARY ON THE WHOLE BIBLE; Henry, Matthew; E-sword version

MATTHEW POOLE'S COMMENTARY; Poole, Matthew; E-sword version

MR. D'S NOTES; Derickson, Stanley Ph.D.; http://www.thedericksons.com; E-sword version

NELSON'S NEW ILLUSTRATED BIBLE COMMENTARY; General Editor Earl D. Radmacher, Th.D. Old Testament Editor Ronald B. Allen, Th.D. New Testament Editor H. Wayne House, Th.D., J.D.; 1999; Thomas Nelson, Inc.; E-sword version by estudysource.com

NOTES ON 1 CORINTHIANS; Constable, Dr. Thomas L.; 2 0 0 5; E-sword version

PEOPLE’S BIBLE; Parker, Joseph; E-sword version

ROMANS VERSE-BY-VERSE; Newell, William R.; 1938; E-sword version

SCOFIELD REFERENCE NOTES (1917 Edition); Scofield, Cyrus Ingerson; E-sword version

SERMON BIBLE; Nicoll, William Robertson; E-sword version

SUMMARIZED BIBLE; Brooks, Keith L.; 1919; E-sword version

THE ANNOTATED BIBLE; Gabelein, A.C.; 1919; E-sword version

THE APOCALYPSE; Seiss, J.A., D.D.; E-sword version

THE BIBLE KNOWLEDGE COMMENTARY; An Exposition of the Scriptures by Dallas Seminary Faculty; John F. Walvoord and Zuck, Roy; Cook Communications Ministries; E-sword version by estudysource.com

THE BIBLICAL ILLUSTRATOR; Exell, Rev. Joseph S., M.A.; E-sword version

THE CAMBRIDGE BIBLE FOR SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES; General Editor: J. J. S. PEROWNE, D.D.; E-sword version

THE CHURCH PULPIT COMMENTARY; 1908; James Nisbet & Co.; London; E-sword version

THE EXPOSITOR'S BIBLE; Editor: Sir William Robertson Nicoll, C.H., D.D., LL.D.; published from 1887-1896; E-sword version

THE EXPOSITOR'S DICTIONARY OF TEXTS; EDITED BY: The Rev. Sir W. Robertson Nicoll, M.A., LL.D. and Jane T. Stoddart with the co-operation of the Rev. James Moffatt, M.A., D.D.; E-sword version

THE EXPOSITOR’S GREEK TESTAMENT; EDITED BY THE REV. W. ROBERTSON NICOLL; E-sword version

THE GREEK TESTAMENT AN EXEGETICAL AND CRITICAL COMMENTARY; Alford, Henry; E-sword version

THE IVP BIBLE BACKGROUND COMMENTARY: NEW TESTAMENT; Keener, Craig S.; 1993; Intervarsity Press; Downers Grove, IL; E-sword version by estudysource.com

THE IVP BIBLE BACKGROUND COMMENTARY: OLD TESTAMENT; John H. Walton, Victor H. Matthews and Mark W. Chavalas; 2000; Intervarsity Press; Downers Grove, IL; E-sword version by estudysource.com

THE MACARTHUR BIBLE COMMENTARY; MacArthur, John; 2005; Thomas Nelson, Inc.; Nashville; E-sword version by estudysource.com

THE NET BIBLE; First Edition; "http://www.bible.org/netbible; E-sword version by bible.org

THE PEOPLE’S NEW TESTAMENT; Johnson, B. W.; 1891; E-sword version

THE POOR MAN'S COMMENTARY ON THE WHOLE BIBLE; Hawker, Robert; Solid Ground Christian Books; Birmingham; E-sword version

THE POPULAR COMMENTARY; Kretzmann; E-sword version

THE PREACHER’S COMMENTARY; OGILVIE, Lloyd J.; 1982-1992; Word; Nashville; E-sword version

THE PRIMITIVE BAPTIST COMMENTARY; E-sword version

THE PULPIT COMMENTARY; Exell, Joseph S. and Henry Donald Maurice Spence-Jones; E-sword version

THOMPSON KIDS BOOK INTRODUCTIONS; 1997; Kirkbride Bible and Technology; E-sword version

THROUGH THE BIBLE C2000 SERIES; Smith, Chuck; E-sword version

THROUGH THE BIBLE DAY BY DAY: A Devotional Commentary; Meyer, REV. F.B. B.A.; 1914; Philadelphia American Sunday-School Union; E-sword version

THRU THE BIBLE COMMENTARY; McGee, J. Vernon; 1981; Thomas Nelson Publishers; Nashville; E-sword version

TREASURY OF SCRIPTURAL KNOWLEDGE; by Canne, Browne, Blayney, Scott, and others; about 1880; E-sword version

TREASURY OF SCRIPTURAL KNOWLEDGE ENHANCED; Morton, Timothy S.; 2010; Timothy S. Morton, http://######.com; E-sword version

VINCENT'S WORD STUDIES; Vincent, Marvin R. ,D.D.; E-sword version

WHEN CRITICS ASK: A Popular Handbook on Bible Difficulties; Geisler, Norman and Howe, Thomas; Victor Books A DIVISION OF SCRIPTURE PRESS PUBLICATIONS INC.; E-sword version

WIERSBE BIBLE COMMENTARY: New Testament; Wiersbe, Warren W.; 2007; David C. Cook; E-sword version

WIERSBE’S EXPOSITORY OUTLINES; Wiersbe, Warren W.; Cook Communications Ministries; E-sword version by estudysource.com

WILLIAM BARCLAY'S DAILY STUDY BIBLE;Y E-sword version

WORD PICTURES IN THE NEW TESTAMENT; Robertson, Archibald Thomas; E-sword version

WUEST'S WORD STUDIES: Volume One and Two; Wuest, Kenneth S.; E-sword version

------

1 I i
2 II ii
3 III iii
4 IV iv
5 V v
6 VI vi
7 VII vii
8 VIII viii
9 IX ix
10 X x

11 XI xi
12 XII xii
13 XIII xiii
14 XIV xiv
15 XV xv
16 XVI xvi
17 XVII xvii
18 XVIII xviii
19 XIX xix
20 XX xx

21 XXI xxi
22 XXII xxii
23 XXIII xxiii
24 XXIV xxiv
25 XXV xxv
26 XXVI xxvi
27 XXVII xxvii
28 XXVIII xxviii
29 XXIX xxix
30 XXX xxx

31 XXXI xxxi
32 XXXII xxxii
33 XXXIII xxxiii
34 XXXIV xxxiv
35 XXXV xxxv
36 XXXVI xxxvi
37 XXXVII xxxvii
38 XXXVIII xxxviii
39 XXXIX xxxix
40 XL xl

41 XLI xli
42 XLII xlii
43 XLIII xliii
44 XLIV xliv
45 XLV xlv
46 XLVI xlvi
47 XLVII xlvii
48 XLVIII xlviii
49 XLIX xlix
50 L l

100 C
500 D
1000 M

Edited by exscentric, 21 November 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#9 donpricepa

donpricepa

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

I am looking for Keil and Delitzsch on bibilesupport and cannot find it.  Since it used to be an E-Sword module, why is it no longer available?  I doubt it's a copyright problem, as I have it on Xiphos.

Thanks!

Don

#10 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

It's an official module distributed by the e-Sword author, and it's free for the download. Just click "download" in the top menu of e-Sword, click "commentaries", and you should see it. e-Sword will install it for you.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users